Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-27-2010   #1
JWarren14
Beer Me

Section: 516 Row B
Rep Power: 844 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14
Default Draft Insight from PROS

Link

Quote:
The Texans' scouting department put more than nine months of work and countless miles of travel into preparations for the 2010 draft.

Director of college scouting Dale Strahm, college scouting coordinator Mike Maccagnan, national scout Ed Lambert and the Texans' six regional scouts each did reports on an average of 350 players. Strahm slept in a hotel room for 192 nights, a number he estimates was similar for most of the team's scouts.

Those months of preparation boiled down to three days, seven rounds and nine picks last week. Strahm, a 12-year scout who coached college football for 31 years, raved about the chemistry in the Texans' war room and the draft class that the Texans put together as a result.

"It takes a collective effort by everybody to be successful, and I was so impressed this year by the pro department, our college scouts, Gary Kubiak and our football coaches, the leadership and visionary process that we had from Rick Smith, the cooperation from everybody in regards to what our goals were in trying to fill the needs of our team so that we would get better – and that's what we accomplished," Strahm said.

"You usually have about seven draft picks, one per round. We had so many needs when we first got here together that we had to address those needs. This year we had nine picks, and consequently what that allowed us to do was to go out and get a specialty returner, get some guys that can really help our football team on the special teams side, as well as individual position needs.

"It's an outstanding group. Two-thirds of the guys were captains, 80 percent of them have their college degrees. Over 85 percent have been three-year starters. We have a saying that what we're looking for is a ‘Tough, smart, physical player with high character that has the competitiveness and the passion about the game of football.' That's our motto, and that's what we've found. If you can have those attributes coming in here, you've got a chance."
If anyone has more research than these guys, please let me know. Spending more than half of the year in hotel rooms traveling and scouting 350+ is just crazy. The link has a few tidbits on each player.
Old 04-27-2010   #2
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Insight from PROS

Info like this is just pure gold. Great read.
Old 04-27-2010   #3
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWarren14 View Post
Link

If anyone has more research than these guys, please let me know. Spending more than half of the year in hotel rooms traveling and scouting 350+ is just crazy. The link has a few tidbits on each player.
As a former basketball scout I can tell you that the research and time-in gathering that research is half the battle. The call on scale and fitting into the chemistry and playbook are about 40% of it, and lastly trusting your gut to put your badge on the table for a guy that you have researched.

Sleeping in a hotel room for 192 days, in my professional opinion, is a guy that is extremely inefficient and is working harder not smarter.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-27-2010   #4
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 128861 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Sleeping in a hotel room for 192 days, in my professional opinion, is a guy that is extremely inefficient and is working harder not smarter.
please elaborate.
Old 04-27-2010   #5
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

And let's not lose sight that these guys are paid to do this as a full time job, they should be doing their due dilligence.

It's interesting, I'll have to read the rest later as my day job is calling, but it's obvious we don't have the time to research what they do, so in other words if we have a problem with one single pick we are being told to shut up by the OP since we didn't work as hard as these well paid scouts. Well, we are they paying customer, we can critique what we want to regardlesss of how off base we may be.

All that work and it's still not an exact science, more like a crapshoot. But it has to be done, I do appreciate their hard work and undertand it's not the easiest of professions.
Old 04-27-2010   #6
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
please elaborate.
No problem, a scout could knock out at least 8 prospects in a day to filter prospects from the comfort of his own office/home prior to the prospects' draftable season. In 50 days they could have watched tape on 350 prospects and made the necessary background checks. From there they should be able to whittle down to a manageable list in order to see the prospects live.

It is a nice story, romantic to some, that there is a scout going form hotel to hotel for 192 days, but the only value I see in it, is one of branding. It is inefficient, and where an inefficiency is identified (actually, romanticized in this instance IMO) there is likely to be more.
Old 04-27-2010   #7
Line_Producer
Party Rocker

Rep Power: 121 Line_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No problem, a scout could knock out at least 8 prospects in a day to filter prospects from the comfort of his own office/home prior to the prospects' draftable season. In 50 days they could have watched tape on 350 prospects and made the necessary background checks. From there they should be able to whittle down to a manageable list in order to see the prospects live.
Is it possible that those 350 are the ones that they have knocked the list down to. I don't want to guestimate how many players are possibly coming out to the Pros including the ones that are eligible that didn't come out.
Line_Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-27-2010   #8
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 128861 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i can see that in basketball, but with ~100 players per team in football, wouldnt that type of commitment to being at so many games and practices assist in getting a better feel for players not necessarily on the "to do" list?

i know jack squat about the scouting process so this is very interesting.
Old 04-27-2010   #9
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Line_Producer View Post
Is it possible that those 350 are the ones that they have knocked the list down to. I don't want to guestimate how many players are possibly coming out to the Pros including the ones that are eligible that didn't come out.
It certainly is possible. Like I said, just felt that line was thrown in there to romanticize the narrative.

I would be remiss to not state that I like they are identifying captains, winning programs and those that have intellectual horsepower - those were essential traits in the players I scouted and eventually represented. The only one that was missing, from the Texans, was a prospect who had home issues, which I called the survivor trait. Give me those four traits and I will show you a leader of men, or, since this is a Kubiak coached team, kids.
Old 04-27-2010   #10
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i can see that in basketball, but with ~100 players per team in football, wouldnt that type of commitment to being at so many games and practices assist in getting a better feel for players not necessarily on the "to do" list?

i know jack squat about the scouting process so this is very interesting.
Sure different sports on many levels from a scouting standpoint.

To your point on ~100 players, how many are draftable on the top 50 teams due to age requirement, skill set, need, etc. my point is this can be whittled down quickly. As you go down the list of top programs there are less and less players. Sure there on one-offs.

I am not crying apocalypse here in regards to our scouting, because I realize I am not the target demo for the 192 day hotel guy narrative.
Old 04-27-2010   #11
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

After that much work I bet they would pull their hair out if we traded away some picks.

I cant imagine what Ditka's scouting dept did when he traded their draft for Ricky.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010   #12
Line_Producer
Party Rocker

Rep Power: 121 Line_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I am not crying apocalypse here in regards to our scouting, because I realize I am not the target demo for the 192 day hotel guy narrative.
Haha, I understand that. As a movie producer, I get tweaked when I hear people spouting prose about my day job.
Line_Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010   #13
MojoX
Veteran

Rep Power: 447 MojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sure different sports on many levels from a scouting standpoint.

To your point on ~100 players, how many are draftable on the top 50 teams due to age requirement, skill set, need, etc. my point is this can be whittled down quickly. As you go down the list of top programs there are less and less players. Sure there on one-offs.

Still, you are talking about a number of players much greater than 100. At least 224 players get drafted each year. Ideally, one's scouts have covered those 224 plus whoever you might want to bring in as an UDFA. That is quite a bit of work, covering the nearly 500 draft eligible players.

I found a USA Today article about the life of an NFL Scout. He works for the Browns, though. Would be interesting to see how the efficient and inefficient scouts differ.
Quote:
*A YEAR IN THE LIFE OF A SCOUT

An NFL scout has little time to rest once the annual draft ends in late April. The evaluation process simply starts anew. A month-by-month look at the schedule of Cleveland Browns scout Bob Morris:

May: Study tape on upcoming seniors at home in Texas in Flower Mound, about 30 miles northwest of Dallas.
June: Attend minicamp to help assess current talent.
July: Vacation early in the month; attend training camp later.
August: Watch practices, note strengths and weaknesses of players through first preseason game. Begin traveling to colleges.
September- November: Travel thousands of miles across the Southwest to evaluate draft-eligible prospects at practices and games.
December: File reports steadily to front office. All paperwork must be completed by midmonth. Submit initial ranking of potential draftees. Work bowl games.
January: Attend all-star games. Good opportunity to note changes in players from when they first were evaluated.
February: Attend meeting in Cleveland before heading to scouting combine in Indianapolis to interview players and gauge their makeup.
March: Conduct individual workouts for players who declined to attend the combine.
April: Attend predraft meeting in Cleveland. GM Phil Savage makes final decisions but says he leans heavily on scouts in developing opinions before team announces draft choices.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...ts-cover_x.htm

Here is one on a Jets scout, still selling the traveling scout narrative. But it points out that scouts are looking to see some things that might not be on game tape:

Quote:
Scouts are sent out for a reason, they have been hired to judge talent, to evaluate it over a period of months. Coaches have a habit of judging it over a period of weeks. Scouts are the guys that turn up early to see how players warm up, speak with coaches, fans, secretaries, anyone they can get a hold of that may offer a glimpse into the player they are interested in. Are the players taking warm up seriously, are they listening when the coach is speaking, during the game are they with the team mates working on the sideline. After the game do they celebrate with the team, do they keep themselves to themselves.
http://www.ganggreennation.com/2010/...-the-nfl-scout

Last edited by MojoX; 04-27-2010 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Added link, fixed typo.
MojoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010   #14
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoX View Post
Still, you are talking about a number of players much greater than 100. At least 224 players get drafted each year. Ideally, one's scouts have covered those 224 plus whoever you might want to bring in as an UDFA. That is quite a bit of work, covering the nearly 500 draft eligible players.
The 100 number is in regards to my response to another member's post, of a team having 100 players, not about the draft.
Old 04-27-2010   #15
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Very interesting read on each player, but I was especially intrigued by what he had to say about Sharpton.

Darryl Sharpton, LB, Miami (Fla.)
Fourth round (102nd overall)

Strahm: "Two-year starter from Coral Gables (Fla.) High School. Inside linebacker, 5-11˝, 230 pounds. What we like about this guy, he's got a quick trigger. He's a quick reactor to what he sees. He's got great what we call FBIs – football instincts. He's got great keys. He attacks downhill. We love his motor. He puts his hat on the ball carrier. He's an every-down player. Very aggressive in his style of play. Has his degree. Very bright, has a GPA of 3.0. Nephew of Rev. Al Sharpton – I think he was praying for us, because we were praying for this kid. But what he has is what we call body shock. It's like a prize fighter. I mean, when he hits you, boom – you feel it. He's got body shock on contact. We think he's really going to help us on special teams and be a role player for us with a chance to start."

It's going to be interesting to see how soon his name is being thrown into the ring as top competition for Diles. He didn't seem to garner much attention from the draftnik's in the media or around here, but it sure sounds like our F.O. has plans for him.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010   #16
MojoX
Veteran

Rep Power: 447 MojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The 100 number is in regards to my response to another member's post, of a team having 100 players, not about the draft.
I know. What I meant to convey is that a football scout may have to scout a high multiple of however many players you efficiently scout for basketball. On top of that, apart form the top 50 schools, some scouts might visit lesser programs looking for diamonds in the rough. I don't know the business and won't pretend to, but the sheer volume of work is a pretty popular narrative when it comes to reporting on scouts. Without insightful evidence on football scouting I don't buy that the Texans are selling BS, though they obviously have good reason to do so, or that this scout just doesn't know how to do his job efficiently.
MojoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Check out what Shram said about Interior Line:
Quote:
Shelley Smith, G, Colorado State
Sixth round (187th overall)

Strahm: "We tried to address this issue in the draft early, but there were very few interior linemen. It was very thin in the position, and we were very fortunate in our sixth round pick to get him. 6-3, 300 pounds, from Westview High School in Phoenix. Three-year starter. Captain. Has got a degree. He's got great toughness. He's athletic. He's got good lateral range with good C.O.D. (change of direction). He can strike and sustain his run blocks. He's got good mobility for a big interior kind of lineman, good in-line strength. He's got power to gain what we call movement off the line, so he'll come out and do that. We see this guy having a chance to soak at that position and eventually help us interiorly."
Old 04-28-2010   #18
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 72911 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

If they spend so much time evaluating, why is a draft with 2 or 3 starters out of 9 picks considered a success?
Old 04-28-2010   #19
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113798 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
If they spend so much time evaluating, why is a draft with 2 or 3 starters out of 9 picks considered a success?
Because if you get 9 starters out of a draft then your team probably sucks. I mean seriously, who could we have gotten in the 3rd or 4th rounds that would have started?

If you can get 2 or 3 starters then you have done a good job upgrading your talent and the rest of the guys are contributors, depth, or special teams.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010   #20
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 72911 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Because if you get 9 starters out of a draft then your team probably sucks. I mean seriously, who could we have gotten in the 3rd or 4th rounds that would have started?

If you can get 2 or 3 starters then you have done a good job upgrading your talent and the rest of the guys are contributors, depth, or special teams.
I guess the point I was trying to get at is that there are usually about 50 "1st round" grade players every year. Scouts spend the most time studying the best prospects. Youve got a whole team of people watching someone, watching your own team, speaking with coaches, etc. And yet, probably half or more of 1st rounders are disappointments.

It just seems unlikely that with the amount of work being described, that there could be surprises to the degree we've seen through history from these guys

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read