Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-08-2005   #1
TheTim5125
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to TheTim5125
Default Best QB in the game?

Manning or Brady

my friend and I have had this discussion on numerous occassions.... I say manning because of his stats and what he has done for the colts.. now my friend says brady because of the rings... now remember we are talking about best qb in the game not best offensive coordinator or team... best qb
Old 03-08-2005   #2
Rosusu
All Pro

Manning is a better quarterback. You could say that Brady is a better leader, but just being a qb throwing the ball Manning is no arguement better than Brady.
Old 03-08-2005   #3
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosusu
Manning is a better quarterback. You could say that Brady is a better leader, but just being a qb throwing the ball Manning is no arguement better than Brady.
The thing is you can't pull out just throwing the ball or it might be some undrafted free agent 4th stringer--it is the whole game that counts. Manning certainly has the better stats, but Brady gets it done when it counts.

Anyone else curious what Manning would look like behind a bad OL? I am not talking just OK, but bad. My impression from the few times you do see him pressured/sacked is he does not react to it well. Not talking about reading blitzes etc. to avoid contact but actually sustaining contact.

Piece of trivia for you--in 7 years in the league Manning has been sacked 1 less time than David Carr has in 3 years.
Old 03-08-2005   #4
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 42567 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

Tough call.

Manning beats Brady in every aspect of being a QB, except for a willingness to take hits.

I mean, if Manning had at least half the testicular fortitude of Brady, it might be unaniminous..... but until he does, it's a tie......

Fortitude goes a loooong way.
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005   #5
Ihategeeks
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Ihategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of Famer

Vick

----Every person that bashes Vick after this post has back pimples------
Old 03-08-2005   #6
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Manning.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005   #7
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

I'd take Brady any day over Manning...with the Pats defense.

Now if Manning had the Pats D, and Brady had the Colts D....then we would see who the best QB is.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-08-2005   #8
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
I'd take Brady any day over Manning...with the Pats defense.

Now if Manning had the Pats D, and Brady had the Colts D....then we would see who the best QB is.
Exactly.

Manning is the better QB, Brady plays on the better team and better teams win championships. That's why Brady has 3 rings and Manning zero.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
So by definition if you take the best O and best D the QB must be the best? Doesn't seem like the right test. How about just swap QB's on the teams?--is there some reason not to give Brady the benefit of the other Colts' offensive players if you are going to stick him with the Colts' D?--of course that still leaves the coaching issue. Too many variables--this is one of those unanswerable questions that just comes down to personal preference.
Old 03-09-2005   #10
DOCTOR24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg no re
Tough call.

Manning beats Brady in every aspect of being a QB, except for a willingness to take hits.

I mean, if Manning had at least half the testicular fortitude of Brady, it might be unaniminous..... but until he does, it's a tie......

Fortitude goes a loooong way.
Maybe so, but Brady beats him in the most important aspect of being a QB and that's championships!!

In a big game, give me someone like Tom Brady or Joe Montana.....they just know how to win.....period!
Old 03-09-2005   #11
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOCTOR24
Maybe so, but Brady beats him in the most important aspect of being a QB and that's championships!!
What wins championships, teams or a single QB???

Teams win championships. The better team will win and Brady plays on the better team.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Old 03-09-2005   #12
DOCTOR24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
What wins championships, teams or a single QB???

Teams win championships. The better team will win and Brady plays on the better team.
I will never argue that it takes a team to win a championship, but make no mistake about it, quarterbacks have to make big plays as well as do the little things to make a team successful. IMO, Tom Brady is the best big play QB in football.
Old 03-09-2005   #13
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Is Trent Dilfer a better QB than Dan Marino?

Trent - 1 Lombardi
Dan - 0 Lombardi's

Trent > Dan ?
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #14
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 42567 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

I would disagree with the statement of Brady being a big play guy..... you don't see a lot of highlight reels of Brady compared to more flashy QBs like Vick, Favre, and such.

However, I do acknowledge that Brady can make big plays, like burning the Steelers for those 2 long bombs to Branch. But for the most part, he makes good reads and throws no matter the situation.

Big play guy? No. Big game guy? Yeah.

That said, if Manning and Brady swap teams, the Colts will finally afford that defense they need, and the Patriot dynasty can finally end. XD
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #15
Bayern
Veteran

How about this? versatility

Brady has proven he can perform anywhere anytime.

Manning is not the player Brady is when he's in the cold throwing an ice cube. Not just in Foxboro against the Pats either.
Bayern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #16
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg no re
I would disagree with the statement of Brady being a big play guy..... you don't see a lot of highlight reels of Brady compared to more flashy QBs like Vick, Favre, and such.
1. He brought the Pats back against the Raiders to win in the divisional round in 2001. Sure he had "The Tuck Rule" to thank but he did lead them to 10 last minute points.

2. In 2002, when they had a bad defense, he finished the season with a bang. They came back from an 11 point deficit against the Dolphins in the season finale to send the game into OT. They won it. They lost out on the playoffs due to a tiebreaker (with the Jets and Browns).

3. In his first two Super Bowls, he led his team to last second FG's to win the game.

The guy doesn't put up gaudy stats but he is a "gamer". I haven't seen a "gamer" like him since Joe Montana.

Brady is more like Montana and Manning is more like Marino.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #17
DOCTOR24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
1. He brought the Pats back against the Raiders to win in the divisional round in 2001. Sure he had "The Tuck Rule" to thank but he did lead them to 10 last minute points.

2. In 2002, when they had a bad defense, he finished the season with a bang. They came back from an 11 point deficit against the Dolphins in the season finale to send the game into OT. They won it. They lost out on the playoffs due to a tiebreaker (with the Jets and Browns).

3. In his first two Super Bowls, he led his team to last second FG's to win the game.

The guy doesn't put up gaudy stats but he is a "gamer". I haven't seen a "gamer" like him since Joe Montana.

Brady is more like Montana and Manning is more like Marino.
Well put! My points exactly. Another point in favor of Brady is the fact that he won his second Super Bowl with a pass oriented offense (before Dillion) when everyone knew he had to throw! Like him or now, the man is a winner and makes everyone around him better!
Old 03-09-2005   #18
DOCTOR24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
Is Trent Dilfer a better QB than Dan Marino?

Trent - 1 Lombardi
Dan - 0 Lombardi's

Trent > Dan ?
Absolutely not! And, surely you are not comparing Tom Brady to Trent Dilfer? Very bad analogy, Huge!
Old 03-09-2005   #19
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOCTOR24
Absolutely not! And, surely you are not comparing Tom Brady to Trent Dilfer? Very bad analogy, Huge!
I dont think Huge is comparing Dilfer to Brady but he is using some peoples train of thought to explain that Super Bowls alone dont decide who is a better QB.

Old 03-09-2005   #20
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Huge was making a point that rings dont make you the better QB.

My take is that Manning is slighty better than Brady. Manning makes quick decisions, accurate throws, and has the smarts to know where the best option is.

Manning 49 TD's, 10 INT's
Brady 24 TD's, 14 INT's

Im not saying this stat means everything. Just showing that 49 TD's with 10 INT's is unbelieveable.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read