Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-26-2010   #1
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81420 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default More Free Agent's?

Alan Faneca was cut yesterday by the Jets and it seems the Jags will cut John Henderson today. Darren Sharper is still out there. If we could get one of these guys then I will be extremely happy with this offseason. I'm already happy, but making one of these moves would put me over the top.

1) Henderson
- Could fill the hole at 1' tech and is a better fit than Cody
2) Faneca
- Would upgrade the overall talent in the interior and most likely start
3) Sharper
- Would be an upgrade over Wilson although he has 2 years left max

Any of these guys would upgrade a "need" position and the overall talent on the team. Right now it seems we are interested in Faneca and Henderson has not been officially released yet. Sharper has been a FA for months and we haven't contacted him so that doesn't seem likely at all. Faneca seems like the most likely possibility although I'm interested to see how the FO would treat the Henderson situation if he is indeed cut.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010   #2
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: More Free Agent's?

Faneca, to me, fits what Smith/McNair/Kubiak aren't looking for in a FA. A veteran player, past his prime and on the decline. With that said, he got $5MM from the Jets with his release and he may not be looking for another payday (speculation). Apparently he's from Houston? Lives in Louisiana? So I could see him just wanting to play... START for another couple years and be close to home. I wouldn't want to sign him to anything crazy but this would be a signing I would get on board with (I prefer younger guys reaching their peak vs decline). He would upgrade our OL which would in turn make our depth better. I think we'd be a better team with Faneca, we'd have a better chance to make the playoffs and therefor would like this signing.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010   #3
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Faneca, to me, fits what Smith/McNair/Kubiak aren't looking for in a FA. A veteran player, past his prime and on the decline. With that said, he got $5MM from the Jets with his release and he may not be looking for another payday (speculation). Apparently he's from Houston? Lives in Louisiana? So I could see him just wanting to play... START for another couple years and be close to home. I wouldn't want to sign him to anything crazy but this would be a signing I would get on board with (I prefer younger guys reaching their peak vs decline). He would upgrade our OL which would in turn make our depth better. I think we'd be a better team with Faneca, we'd have a better chance to make the playoffs and therefor would like this signing.
I agree he fits the description of players the Texans arent looking for.

From the reports Ive read money is a big part of why he's no longer a Jet. They wanted him to take a pay cut and when he refused got cut instead. There is $5Mil guaranteed from the Jets that the Jets will pay him .... but I cant see him playing for the vet min. I think he'll want at least 3-4 years and heavy money.

I'd sign the guy for the right price .... But I dont see that happening.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010   #4
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd say go after Sharper, but I have a feeling his price tag is going to be somewhat silly.

I'm thinking see if Nolan can come back healthy or let Sherrick Mc"the Man"is give it a whirl with Eugene in a training camp battle royale.
Old 04-26-2010   #5
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Henderson and faneca would be perfect and put the texans in the playoffs.

They can say faneca declined, but look at the tough yards on the ground they got and they came from behind him. The year prior, when they started running G-Power, the running game tooks off. Henderson , in bewteen mario and amobi would be golden. All this no 30 and over players is bs. You have to look at the guys injury history and play. I like young guys too, but if they dont step up, get a vet who can get the job done.
Old 04-26-2010   #6
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 187579 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Dudes, I wanted Sharper LAST YEAR! With all the youngsters we have in our secondary, who better for them to learn from? Not to mention, he's still got some gas left in his tank so I think he is just as capable, physically, as Eugene Wilson.

I believe Faneca would be an immediate upgrade in the middle of the O-line. I can't think of a guard on our roster that would beat him out... can you?

Henderson is kind of a question mark for me. With J-ville's lack of pass rush, why cut a productive player? - he led them in sacks last year - okay, it was just 3 but he still led them. Is it Jacksonville being cheap or did Henderson and JDR have a falling out?

And that's pretty much the order I'd try and sign them. Sharper, Faneca, then Henderson. Signing all three for a couple of years each would make us competitive in the division. Meanwhile, we use those two drafts to snag their replacements.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010   #7
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Dudes, I wanted Sharper LAST YEAR! With all the youngsters we have in our secondary, who better for them to learn from? Not to mention, he's still got some gas left in his tank so I think he is just as capable, physically, as Eugene Wilson.

I believe Faneca would be an immediate upgrade in the middle of the O-line. I can't think of a guard on our roster that would beat him out... can you?

Henderson is kind of a question mark for me. With J-ville's lack of pass rush, why cut a productive player? - he led them in sacks last year - okay, it was just 3 but he still led them. Is it Jacksonville being cheap or did Henderson and JDR have a falling out?

And that's pretty much the order I'd try and sign them. Sharper, Faneca, then Henderson. Signing all three for a couple of years each would make us competitive in the division. Meanwhile, we use those two drafts to snag their replacements.
I would probably rather have Sharper than Faneco or Henderson, but I would take any of the three. i would probably put it in this order

1. sharper
2. henderson
3. faneca

i just think we may have the best chance at faneca because Sharper, i feel, is going to be a Saint in the end, henderson is going to get some really attractive offers, and Faneca has local ties.
Old 04-26-2010   #8
dinkatoid
Veteran

Rep Power: 628 dinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I am obviously not an expert, but from what I have heard/read, he is still an excellent run blocker, but has struggled big time in pass protection. If that is the case, he would not be a great fit for us.
dinkatoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010   #9
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181498 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

You want instant NASTY. With Henderson, you get instant Nasty....and he can still move.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ7eLCjLCus
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010   #10
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

i would love to have Henderson here.
Old 04-28-2010   #11
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans are too cheap, and Bob McNair is such a lousy owner to pursue the likes of Henderson...

Dripping, sopping wet in
Old 04-28-2010   #12
Big Poundcake
Veteran

Rep Power: 15 Big Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden cover

Yes to Henderson and Sharper.

Also yes to Veteran's CB Dre Bly and Center Kevin Mawae too please.
Big Poundcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010   #13
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poundcake View Post
Yes to Henderson and Sharper.

Also yes to Veteran's CB Dre Bly and Center Kevin Mawae too please.
Maybe on the three, but no thanks to Bly
Old 04-28-2010   #14
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Bill put down the bottle and come back to reality
Old 04-28-2010   #15
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Rep Power: 1892 wagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm basically in love with Jon Henderson. Please sign him.
wagonhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010   #16
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2029 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Maybe on the three, but no thanks to Bly
I thought Bly turned 50 this past year?

EDIT: Lol, he's only 32.
Old 04-29-2010   #17
Hoss
i need a beer..

Rep Power: 445 Hoss is a quality contributor and well respectedHoss is a quality contributor and well respectedHoss is a quality contributor and well respectedHoss is a quality contributor and well respectedHoss is a quality contributor and well respectedHoss is a quality contributor and well respectedHoss is a quality contributor and well respectedHoss is a quality contributor and well respectedHoss is a quality contributor and well respectedHoss is a quality contributor and well respectedHoss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Hoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyE View Post
I thought Bly turned 50 this past year?

EDIT: Lol, he's only 32.
O_O lol

sig-False Start
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read