Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-24-2010   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 55500 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Summary of Kubiak/Smith postdraft presser

Dickerson: WR, will learn behind Andre Johnson

Holliday: KR/PR that will change the field... eventually will figure out how else to use him.

Shelly Smith: G/C. Can play both. They love him. Struggled with high ankle sprain as a senior. Should immediately compete with the group.

McManus: CB! not a safety. tough, leader, good athleticism, good ST

Graham: OD is ahead of schedule but his value was too good to pass up.

Sharpton: good ST, smart, can backup all three LB positions and compete with starters

EMitchell: explosive athlete that can make plays and help vs. run also.

Tate: impressived Kubes in interview. strong runner who can break it long also. May take a little time to adjust to I formation.

KJackson: love him, obviously.

Rick Smith also said they are happy with their safeties and at C/G... they may need another OT though. Kubes doesn't forsee any of the CBs being converted to Safety
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010   #2
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Summary of Kubiak/Smith postdraft presser

Ecexpt for the CB from NWestern that I haven't looked at, I like all the picks. Just don't know where some of them will fit into the puzzle.

The top 3 guys were on my wish list so I can't complain.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010   #3
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55500 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Ecexpt for the CB from NWestern that I haven't looked at, I like all the picks. Just don't know where some of them will fit into the puzzle.

Other than neglecting the Safety position, the other alarming thing to me is that they were strongly considering Gerhart. You watch a lot of college football. Do you agree with me that he is way too stiff and upright to be good in anything other than a strict power running offense. Also, he has zero lateral quickness, IMO... what do you think? He simply wouldn't make sense in for us, would he?
Old 04-24-2010   #4
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Other than neglecting the Safety position, the other alarming thing to me is that they were strongly considering Gerhart. You watch a lot of college football. Do you agree with me that he is way too stiff and upright to be good in anything other than a strict power running offense. Also, he has zero lateral quickness, IMO... what do you think? He simply wouldn't make sense in for us, would he?
I have Tate, Gerhart, and Hardesty as my RB choices in that order.

Tate is more of an all-around RB, in case Slaton's health is really a concern.
Otherwise, Gerhart would be a good complement to what we currently have.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010   #5
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

See.. this just goes to show that all of the knee jerk fools around here need to take a break and trust the F.O.

They have done excellent in the draft every year so far.. i found it odd that so many people would spaz out this year just because the people we were taking didnt fit the script that they had played out in their head all offseason.

All the picks make sense.. especially now that Kubiak has given us the run down. One TE is a slot receiver. The other TE was too good a value to not take him. I dont think anyone can get mad at them for taking a player at a non-need position because they felt he was too valuable to let go, right?

An LB that can be solid depth at every LB position. WHAT!?!?! We drafted for DEPTH!?!? Its almost like we are thinking like a real football team with real talent, rather than an expansion team struggling to put talented players on the field.

Anyway. I guess my biggest question now is..why did we need a slot receiver? I mean obviously when you have the best passing game in the NFL you dont want to get complacent and LOSE that distinction... but does this mean that Walter orAnderson or Davis are on their way out?

Andre Davis is getting up there in years... perhaps we are thinking that Dickerson is his eventual replacement...despite the difference in speed.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010   #6
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
An LB that can be solid depth at every LB position. WHAT!?!?! We drafted for DEPTH!?!? Its almost like we are thinking like a real football team with real talent, rather than an expansion team struggling to put talented players on the field.
I don't think Dickerson is a slot guy. I think he's backing up AJ.

But it is relieving to see us drafting for depth like a real football team. It's a sign of progress.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010   #7
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They have done excellent in the draft every year so far..
What was so excellent about the '07 draft? The '08 draft won't look so hot if Slaton can't rebound.

I realize it seems foolish to complain about players who have never stepped on a NFL field. But, it's just as ridiculous to praise them. So why not let everyone prescribe to their own brand of draft absurdity?
Old 04-24-2010   #8
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
I don't think Dickerson is a slot guy. I think he's backing up AJ.

But it is relieving to see us drafting for depth like a real football team. It's a sign of progress.
Dickerson is backing up AJ. I think that Davis and probably Martinez are gone.

Davis because Holliday will handle the returns and Martinez gets beat out by Dickerson.

WR- AJ, KW, JJ, DA, DD

KR/PR- Holliday
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010   #9
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I am so glad we have a front office and none of the Bozos on this board are any where near that office.

Great draft lets get to work.
Old 04-24-2010   #10
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Go Texans!!!!!

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010   #11
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dickerson: WR, will learn behind Andre Johnson

Holliday: KR/PR that will change the field... eventually will figure out how else to use him.

Shelly Smith: G/C. Can play both. They love him. Struggled with high ankle sprain as a senior. Should immediately compete with the group.

McManus: CB! not a safety. tough, leader, good athleticism, good ST

Graham: OD is ahead of schedule but his value was too good to pass up.

Sharpton: good ST, smart, can backup all three LB positions and compete with starters

EMitchell: explosive athlete that can make plays and help vs. run also.

Tate: impressived Kubes in interview. strong runner who can break it long also. May take a little time to adjust to I formation.

KJackson: love him, obviously.

Rick Smith also said they are happy with their safeties and at C/G... they may need another OT though. Kubes doesn't forsee any of the CBs being converted to Safety
I think he's lying. Wouldn't surprise me at all during TC to see them ask one of the guys on the bubble of making the team to try and make a move to S. Especially if Troy Nolan isn't healthy enough to go.

I think they definitely will be finding ways to get the ball into Holliday's hands.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010   #12
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan View Post
I am so glad we have a front office and none of the Bozos on this board are any where near that office.

Great draft lets get to work.
But I liked the draft very much, Joe. Bozo? Huh? You da #1 BOZO!

I heart Joe Texan.
Old 04-24-2010   #13
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8652 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
What was so excellent about the '07 draft? The '08 draft won't look so hot if Slaton can't rebound.

I realize it seems foolish to complain about players who have never stepped on a NFL field. But, it's just as ridiculous to praise them. So why not let everyone prescribe to their own brand of draft absurdity?
Our project in Jacoby has begun paying dividends. Kasey Studdard has stuck around and even started for us, can't expect better than that in a 6th round pick. Zach Diles is a quality starter who can play every LB position, our last pick was the best pick in this draft.

Amobi is a below-average starter and imo Smithiak's only bust (still holding out hope). Bennett never lived up to the expectations after teasing us his rookie year... bust but a 4th round pick. Brandon Harrison is no longer around... bust but 5th rounder.

07 draft is looking a lot better now that Jacoby is turning into a consistent playmaker. Amobi was disappointing but Diles makes up for it. The fact that only one player is no longer on the team is impressive.

For a draft where we didn't have a 2nd round pick, the 07 draft looks solid. It had a hard act to follow given all the studs in 06, but there have been worse drafts
Old 04-25-2010   #14
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 218361 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
See.. this just goes to show that all of the knee jerk fools around here need to take a break and trust the F.O.
<snip>
All the picks make sense..
They only make sense if you think like Smithiak. And what I mean by that is ...

Quote:
Rick Smith also said they are happy with their safeties and at C/G.
Really? Well, OK, but again - if they're happy with their safeties, then show me a pass defense that holds out long enough to help the pass rush, and preferably gets a few INTs. So far, they can be happy with their safeties all they want, but show me. Hasn't happened yet.

They're also happy with C. Really? OK, again, show me a run game that can get 3rd and 2 when the other team knows you have to run it. Show me a run game that can grind out the clock in the final minutes of a half/game. Show me a run game that can convert 1st, 2nd, 3rd and Goal. Again, hasn't happened yet, but they're happy with their Center. Ooooookay then.

Quote:
This. I have hope for these guys, but honestly, after the '06 draft, the Texans are about average. That's an improvement over '02-'05, but still .... they overlook specific positions or types of players at positions and tell us they like what they have, when we can all see that what they have in certain areas is not cutting it.

It'll all shake out on the field, and the draft is a crap shoot anyway. But if you avoid taking the types of players that everyone thinks you need, then you have to prove everyone wrong. That's just the way it works.
Old 04-25-2010   #15
thunderkyss 
&amp; so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

I wonder when we'll get to the point, where some of our draft picks just aren't good enough to make the team.
Old 04-25-2010   #16
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
They only make sense if you think like Smithiak. And what I mean by that is ...

Really? Well, OK, but again - if they're happy with their safeties, then show me a pass defense that holds out long enough to help the pass rush, and preferably gets a few INTs. So far, they can be happy with their safeties all they want, but show me. Hasn't happened yet.

They're also happy with C. Really? OK, again, show me a run game that can get 3rd and 2 when the other team knows you have to run it. Show me a run game that can grind out the clock in the final minutes of a half/game. Show me a run game that can convert 1st, 2nd, 3rd and Goal. Again, hasn't happened yet, but they're happy with their Center. Ooooookay then.

This. I have hope for these guys, but honestly, after the '06 draft, the Texans are about average. That's an improvement over '02-'05, but still .... they overlook specific positions or types of players at positions and tell us they like what they have, when we can all see that what they have in certain areas is not cutting it.

It'll all shake out on the field, and the draft is a crap shoot anyway. But if you avoid taking the types of players that everyone thinks you need, then you have to prove everyone wrong. That's just the way it works.
I'm fine with their contentment at C/G... they have added Wade Smith and Shelly Smith to a young interior line who is getting back Mike Briesel. So, if they feel good about that, I won't complain until September. Safety is still a concern for me. They've signed two UDFAs at the safety position, so it may have been all hot air.

Regarding the drafts: '06 and '09 look to be amazing drafts and '07 and '08 look to be somewhere between average and solid at this point. So, I'm not going to be too critical.

It's going to be an interesting season!!
Old 04-25-2010   #17
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I wonder when we'll get to the point, where some of our draft picks just aren't good enough to make the team.
Hmmmm, that's an interesting statement. One one hand you hope that your depth is so good that no draft pick is better than any of them, but then again, you might want to hope that your team is competent enough to draft guys who are good enough to beat out your depth.

Adibi wasn't good enough to beat out the depth at his position. Is that a positive for Diles? A negative for Rick Smith or a testament to something about Xavier?

You can't win with that line of thinking. But I'm with you on what you're getting at.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010   #18
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

I will go on record saying that I like this draft. I like the speed and physicality that we added to our team. I think people are paying attention a little too much to the position that some of these guys are listed at. They have added some athletes onto this roster who will likely get a shot at making this team for their special teams play. We can't pick starters with every pick in the draft.

I think the first 3 guys we picked will get a very good chance to become a starter for this team from day one, hopefully they succeed.

A lot of people are miffed about not addressing the FS spot once again, but I think it was just a case of Smithiak not seeing a player in the late rounds who could beat out any of our back-up safeties. They would rather pick a guy who could be a special teamer rather then wasting a pick. FS will likely be a priority next year, just as CB and RB were this year.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010   #19
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What was so excellent about the '07 draft?

Boom, outta here.

The front office has proven itself worthy with its picks and personnel decisions over the last three years, and none was bigger than this guy. While he may not have been an actual draft pick, picks were used to acquire him....and many, many internet knowitalls slammed Kubiak for giving up two second round draft picks for an unproven backup QB.

Well, I think we all know who got that one right.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010   #20
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
For a draft where we didn't have a 2nd round pick, the 07 draft looks solid. It had a hard act to follow given all the studs in 06, but there have been worse drafts
I'm not suggesting that '07 & '08 drafts were total crap. Just that Grid's premise that all Smithiak drafts are "excellent" is off the mark. Passable does not equate to excellent.
Quote:
Regarding the drafts: '06 and '09 look to be amazing drafts and '07 and '08 look to be somewhere between average and solid at this point. So, I'm not going to be too critical.
That's a completely sound position. And you can judge this draft on whatever criteria you choose. My point is that everyone has the right to determine their own criteria. And it gets very tiresome to see posters trashed when giving their opinion. Trash their opinion, that's how we roll. So what if some posters see a dark side? Sometimes, there is a dark side. Calling out for "jerks" and "bozos" to zip it does not foster the type of open atmosphere we all want.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read