Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-24-2010   #1
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 31527 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Danger of Trading Back

Reading Jerome Solomon in the Chronicle, and reading between the lines, we came close to blowing our RB selection.

It seems offensive coordinator Rick Dennison favored Mathews over Tate. But the staff was split over the decision which was the better fit. When the chance came from Minnesota to trade down in exchange for an extra 3rd, they jumped on it, but was then taken by surprise when Minnesota took Mathews. Sitting at #62, they became concerned they might lose out on their second choice and managed a trade up to #58 and managed to get Tate.

Then at #59 Cleveland grabbed the other big back in the same mold as Tate, Tennessee's Montario Hardesty. It isn't beyond speculation that had we not been able to move up, Cleveland would have taken Tate.

It was that close. You roll the dice when you trade back, especially when you have your sights on a particular player.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010   #2
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74306 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Danger of Trading Back

I would have traded back #58 and then he would have gone @ #57. So, I would have traded back down some more to get more picks, only to realize I wanted somebody I had forgotten about. So, I would have traded our first rounder next year to move back up and get the guy I wanted....wait, he's not going 'till the 4th anyway! Dang it!!! Well, I'll just take him in the second since i burned next years 1st rounder on it...

Um, OK I did it, but I forgot about the other guy I actually wanted in the second. I'll have to trade back up. Can I trade my first rounder for 2012?

We might need to change out my beverages at the draft table.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010   #3
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

TRADE BACK, TRADE BACK, TRADE BACK, I DONT CARE WHAT IT TAKES JUST TRADE BACK!!!!!!!!!

<Texans trade back>

Woah Texans, be careful with trading back. That shit is dangerous.

Just another blah article to fill the mid week paper.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010   #4
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
Reading Jerome Solomon in the Chronicle, and reading between the lines, we came close to blowing our RB selection.

It seems offensive coordinator Rick Dennison favored Mathews over Tate. But the staff was split over the decision which was the better fit. When the chance came from Minnesota to trade down in exchange for an extra 3rd, they jumped on it, but was then taken by surprise when Minnesota took Mathews. Sitting at #62, they became concerned they might lose out on their second choice and managed a trade up to #58 and managed to get Tate.

Then at #59 Cleveland grabbed the other big back in the same mold as Tate, Tennessee's Montario Hardesty. It isn't beyond speculation that had we not been able to move up, Cleveland would have taken Tate.

It was that close. You roll the dice when you trade back, especially when you have your sights on a particular player.
You have your RBs confused, Mathews went in the 1st round at #12 to San Diego, I believe your talking about Toby Gerhart. Doesn't change your premise, just the names.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010   #5
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
TRADE BACK, TRADE BACK, TRADE BACK, I DONT CARE WHAT IT TAKES JUST TRADE BACK!!!!!!!!!

<Texans trade back>

Just another blah article to fill the mid week paper.
Nice, must spread rep yada yada yada.
Old 04-30-2010   #6
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post

<Texans trade back>

I hate to admit it but that is EXACTLY what I was thinking when they traded back.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read