Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-23-2010   #1
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 53235 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82
Default Texans sign TE Michael Gaines to 1-year deal

Free-agent TE Michael Gaines has agreed to a one-year deal with the Texans, according to a league source. Gaines has bounced around during his six NFL seasons, starting his career with the Panthers and later playing for the Bills, Lions, Bears and Browns. He started seven of nine games for the Browns in 2009, making five catches for 59 yards and one touchdown.
http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/04/23/vete...r-texans-deal/
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010   #2
Pocky
Rookie

Default Re: Texans sign TE Michael Gaines to 1-year deal

I hope this is just a camp fodder and doesn't mean that A. Hill injury is serious.

Anthony had some good potential; love the play he made on his first NFL catch where he destroyed a defensive player with a stiff arm and rummaged for a first down. I hate to lose a promising player so early, especially one that play with such a nasty demeanor like Hill does.
Pocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010   #3
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Are we building a new style of offense that is just qb + all tight ends?
Old 04-23-2010   #4
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 40960 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Are we building a new style of offense that is just qb + all tight ends? ? I mean seirously, wtf is the deal with this FO and stocking TEs...
I think this is camp fodder, or allows Hill to be on IR if he is not ready
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I think this is camp fodder, or allows Hill to be on IR if he is not ready
ESPN shows that we drafted TE Tony Mo-something in the 3rd, but it was really the Chiefs. I was freaked out that we had drafted a TE AND signed one, which would give us 4 or 5 TEs in the last 2 years
Old 04-23-2010   #6
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
ESPN shows that we drafted TE Tony Mo-something in the 3rd, but it was really the Chiefs. I was freaked out that we had drafted a TE AND signed one, which would give us 4 or 5 TEs in the last 2 years
I know we'll take a TE tomorrow. You can never have enough TEs in our system. I think this signing is a result of someone we may have been targeting but was taken.
Old 04-23-2010   #7
JimC
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 JimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respected

This guy is for camp. The Texans have only one TE physically able to participate in camp. They will probably want 3, though they may settle for 2 if one of the others will be back soon...
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-23-2010   #8
JimC
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 JimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
I know we'll take a TE tomorrow. You can never have enough TEs in our system. I think this signing is a result of someone we may have been targeting but was taken.
I don't think they'll take a tight end. They have 4 they want to keep. They normally only have 3 TE roster spots, so they're already taking an extra slot. They currently plan to keep all of those players for a long time -- though they may trade Dreessen or let him go to make room for Casey. Unless they lose Dreessen, there is no room for another player at the position. Why waste a pick with no chance to make the team?

They may bring in one or two more street free agents as camp bodies since three of their four players are hurt, but I can't see any of them sticking with the team and I can't see them drafting anyone.
Old 04-24-2010   #9
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I don't think they'll take a tight end. They have 4 they want to keep. They normally only have 3 TE roster spots, so they're already taking an extra slot. They currently plan to keep all of those players for a long time -- though they may trade Dreessen or let him go to make room for Casey. Unless they lose Dreessen, there is no room for another player at the position. Why waste a pick with no chance to make the team?

They may bring in one or two more street free agents as camp bodies since three of their four players are hurt, but I can't see any of them sticking with the team and I can't see them drafting anyone.
Lot of nice TE's still on the board. Including a couple of blocking TEs.
Old 04-24-2010   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Are we building a new style of offense that is just qb + all tight ends?
Of course not. We'll also have some converted TEs & Andre..
Old 04-24-2010   #11
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I do not mind this signing for camp or just to have deapth at the TE position.
Old 04-24-2010   #12
JimC
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I don't think they'll take a tight end.
Looks like I was dead wrong on that one... They just drafted one in the 4th.

It's hard to pass 4th round picks through waivers to put them on the practice squad. Are they going to keep 5, cut someone, or trade someone? Or is someone going on IR?
Old 04-24-2010   #13
krocket
Rookie

Rep Power: 135 krocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respected

Correct me if I am wrong, but OD is not signed yet is he? They may be preparing to trade him or something. He was tendered though.
krocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010   #14
JimC
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by krocket View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but OD is not signed yet is he? They may be preparing to trade him or something. He was tendered though.
Trading OD or Dreessen for a starting free safety would open a spot on the roster, give Casey a chance to play, justify this pick and fill a real need. It makes perfect sense to me.
Old 04-24-2010   #15
treduke
All Pro

Rep Power: 178 treduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respected

goodbye owen you will be missed!
Old 04-24-2010   #16
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos82 View Post
Free-agent TE Michael Gaines has agreed to a one-year deal with the Texans, according to a league source. Gaines has bounced around during his six NFL seasons, starting his career with the Panthers and later playing for the Bills, Lions, Bears and Browns. He started seven of nine games for the Browns in 2009, making five catches for 59 yards and one touchdown.
http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/04/23/vete...r-texans-deal/
Gaines won't catch on here. He couldn't catch on in Carolina when they didn't eve have a but one good tight end. The Texans already have to many good young tightends in camp...remember we drafted 2 more last year and another one this year. I have a funny feeling that if they can't make Owen Daniels happy soon, we will be trading him for a 1st rounder in 2011 draft. I sure hope my feeling is wrong.
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010   #17
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 254692 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubecool454 View Post
Gaines won't catch on here. He couldn't catch on in Carolina when they didn't eve have a but one good tight end. The Texans already have to many good young tightends in camp...remember we drafted 2 more last year and another one this year. I have a funny feeling that if they can't make Owen Daniels happy soon, we will be trading him for a 1st rounder in 2011 draft. I sure hope my feeling is wrong.
Dreessen, Daniels, and Hill probably won't be healthy by training camp. They definitely won't be ready for OTAs. So we need TE's just as camp bodies. That's what this guy is. Casey and Graham will get the majority of the work.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010   #18
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

If they all come back healthy and either one of these new TE's work out Gary will have a hard time choosing the final TE's for the roster.
Old 04-25-2010   #19
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 254692 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
If they all come back healthy and either one of these new TE's work out Gary will have a hard time choosing the final TE's for the roster.
And having a hard time choosing who to keep and who to let go is a good thing and a sign of how far we've come.

But you've got to stop thinking of Dickerson as a TE. There was only 1 TE drafted and that was Graham. Dickerson is a WR project.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010   #20
gary
Hall of Fame

I think Gary said Dickerson will be more of a W.R.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read