Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-23-2010   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Round 1, Bad Day for the Texans

Did anyone see this?!

Quote:
Justice
As bad days go, it was a pretty good one for the Texans. Never mind that it didn't play out the way they hoped.
Quote:
Justice
Only thing is, they'd hoped to fill another need. As much as they needed a cornerback, they needed a running back more.

Three picks later, though, they were forced into a scramble mode when the Chargers moved up and took Fresno State's Ryan Mathews.

He apparently was the guy the Texans wanted,...
Was he in the war room?
Old 04-23-2010   #2
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Round 1, Bad Day for the Texans

Edit...
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010   #3
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

More substandard "journalism" from the folk at the Chronic.

Jackson wasn't the sexy media pick, but every time I look for more info about the guy, the news and reports are good.

FWIW, the ESPN Austin radio morning guys (including Dan Neal - 2x Super Bowl Champ O-Lineman from Denver) really liked the pick a lot.
Old 04-23-2010   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 51932 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

That was an amazingly positive write up for such a negative sounding title
Old 04-23-2010   #5
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

And I must mention...the guy's basically hedging his bets...

starts with "they got better"

continues with "they didn't fill the biggest need"

Get medicated, man.
Old 04-23-2010   #6
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Justice is a ********* when it comes to covering the Texans.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010   #7
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

To the original question, nope I didn't see it because I don't read anything that hack litttle dickie writes.
Old 04-23-2010   #8
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
To the original question, nope I didn't see it because I don't read anything that hack litttle dickie writes.
Anyone who reads Dickie is a DICK themselves!!! The guy is a complete m*ron!!!! Kinda ticks me off every time I see him quoted on any MB. He needs to be IGNORED!!!!!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010   #9
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

As much as I hate Justice...and I really do...I do think Matthews was their guy. Besides that I think Dickie needs to just move somewhere.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/6971760.html

Quote:
General manager Rick Smith and coach Gary Kubiak then turned their attention to cornerback.

“When things started to shake out, some things happened that we didn’t foresee (the Chargers trading up for Mathews),” defensive coordinator Frank Bush said. “Then we had an opportunity to go back in and discuss the defensive players, and this was a guy we really wanted.

“We were looking at running back, but we also needed a corner, and we felt like (Jackson) was a player we had to get.”
Old 04-23-2010   #10
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I do think Matthews was their guy.
I interpreted Bush's comment the same way specifically with regard to Mathews v. Jackson but I think that over simplifies things. Bet Eric Berry was their guy over Mathews if that somehow happened. How did they have Spiller v. Mathews? This whole thing is a back and forth exercise of what ifs. I'll bet Green Bay didn't think they had any chance at Baluga.

Oh and talk about holy didn't trade back and reached - the Jags.
Old 04-23-2010   #11
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Obviously I'm not in the war room either, but I wouldn't be suprised if the Texans went CB even if Mathews was available. They have shown in the past that they don't like spending high picks on backs. I doubt that they are viewing this a bad first round.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010   #12
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Quote:
As much as I hate Justice...and I really do...I do think Matthews was their guy. Besides that I think Dickie needs to just move somewhere.

Frank's quote was enough to convince me.

“We were looking at running back, but we also needed a corner, and we felt like (Jackson) was a player we had to get.”
Old 04-23-2010   #13
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I interpreted Bush's comment the same way specifically with regard to Mathews v. Jackson but I think that over simplifies things. Bet Eric Berry was their guy over Mathews if that somehow happened. How did they have Spiller v. Mathews? This whole thing is a back and forth exercise of what ifs. I'll bet Green Bay didn't think they had any chance at Baluga.

Oh and talk about holy didn't trade back and reached - the Jags.
Agree that they obviously have some of the guys like Berry higher but I believe, from that comment, that they targeted RB. That is the way it came out....once the Charger trade happened, things changed. If that is the case then you see who could be there. I think Spiller was realistically off most boards by then so that leaves you with Matthews as the target orginally. That is just how I took it. Once that happened they shifted gears to D.
Old 04-23-2010   #14
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexCanada View Post
Obviously I'm not in the war room either, but I wouldn't be suprised if the Texans went CB even if Mathews was available. They have shown in the past that they don't like spending high picks on backs. I doubt that they are viewing this a bad first round.
I doubt they view it as a bad round either. It's hard to say who we would have picked though. All we can say is who we were targeting.

I feel pretty confident in saying that we were targeting Eric Berry, Joe Haden, Earl Thomas, Ryan Mathews, Kareem Jackson, Kyle Wilson, and Devin McCourty. Not necessarily in that order.

We knew Berry and Haden would be gone and then SD traded up for Mathews and Seattle took Thomas. I think we had to take Jackson where we did. I don't know why people are so upset that we didn't trade back.

We ended up using our 1st pick on a starting CB. Great job IMO.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttoKarl View Post
Frank's quote was enough to convince me.

Just curious, why is Justice getting blasted if Bush said that? I am not pro or con Justice or McClain & read their articles just because I want to read about Texans. Like all sources including those on this MB, they are just a source.
Old 04-23-2010   #16
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I doubt they view it as a bad round either. It's hard to say who we would have picked though. All we can say is who we were targeting.

I feel pretty confident in saying that we were targeting Eric Berry, Joe Haden, Earl Thomas, Ryan Mathews, Kareem Jackson, Kyle Wilson, and Devin McCourty. Not necessarily in that order.

We knew Berry and Haden would be gone and then SD traded up for Mathews and Seattle took Thomas. I think we had to take Jackson where we did. I don't know why people are so upset that we didn't trade back.

We ended up using our 1st pick on a starting CB. Great job IMO.
Agreed, nuff said

People who post anything from this crotch-stain whether it be true (hardly ever) or not, should be neg repped until they have 5 red dots for rep. Ha....JK....I think
Old 04-23-2010   #17
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Just curious, why is Justice getting blasted if Bush said that? I am not pro or con Justice or McClain & read their articles just because I want to read about Texans. Like all sources including those on this MB, they are just a source.
I think the blasting is more about how in one breath he tells us we're better for making the pick and then switching gears to how we didn't fill our biggest need...seems sorta schizo.

The article overall was positive, but it still didn't taste quite right.

And I'll read anything on the Texans out there no matter who writes it.
Old 04-23-2010   #18
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46286 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

Justice has proved time and again that he is a hack. The article was slightly better than his normal crap but it is crap nonetheless.
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010   #19
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I posted the same quote over at inthebullseye this morning and here later and I feel the same way you do after reading Bush's comments. I think they wanted Mathews and had to regroup when San Diego jumped ahead of both the Texans and Seattle.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010   #20
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

I wonder who has better sources with the Texans: McClain or Justice?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read