Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-23-2010   #41
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Should Gary Kubiak give Matt Schaub more freedom at QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Here's a play in which MS might have pulled an audible:

4th and 1 just outside the Dolphins 10.

Miami lined up with 5 men on the LOS plus 2 LBs (one of them inched up to the line).

Texans in 3-WR set with TE and Foster as the lone RB.

A run here would pit six blockers against seven defenders.
There's also the big possibility of a blitz.

So the Texans sent Foster wide to the left as a decoy.

The Dolphins blitzed 6.

Dreesen went out to take on one LB (who was dropping back).

AJ (from the slot) headed for the spot where the other LB had vacated (he was blitzing).

Quick pass MS to AJ. Touchdown Texans.
I can see this being the called play since at 4 and 1 EVERYONE knows you're going to run the ball. I say 70-30 it was the called play.
Old 04-23-2010   #42
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
That was a potential 2nd and 10 play if we had run a quick one to get out of being nailed with a fumble.
Nobody at the game thought there was anything at all going on, on that play. It was cut and dry as far as everyone was concerned. No reason to treat it any different than any other play downed at the one.

Even if Matt had that freedom (which is ridiculous, if you have to tell a QB that he can think for himself, he doesn't need to be thinking for himself. Beg for forgiveness, don't ask for permission). But even if he "had that freedom" he wouldn't have, because he didn't see any reason to.

If that were to happen, with 4:34 seconds left in the 3rd Qtr, it would have been a non-issue. It was only reviewed because it was inside 2 minutes (or actually just before the 2:00 min warning) and a commercial break.

And it was the wrong call to boot.
Old 04-23-2010   #43
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Nobody at the game thought there was anything at all going on, on that play. It was cut and dry as far as everyone was concerned. No reason to treat it any different than any other play downed at the one.

Even if Matt had that freedom (which is ridiculous, if you have to tell a QB that he can think for himself, he doesn't need to be thinking for himself. Beg for forgiveness, don't ask for permission). But even if he "had that freedom" he wouldn't have, because he didn't see any reason to.

If that were to happen, with 4:34 seconds left in the 3rd Qtr, it would have been a non-issue. It was only reviewed because it was inside 2 minutes (or actually just before the 2:00 min warning) and a commercial break.

And it was the wrong call to boot.
I can't see how you can say that first paragraph with a straight face. How do people not know what is going on? It even looked like Texans players were just milling about waiting for a play to be called while time ran down. I'm sorry but if I just ran a play and the guy carrying the ball had it pop loose at the end of the play, if we retained possession I would want another play run now. If either Kubiak notices this or Schaub notices I would want either guy to be able to get the offense together to say "run the ball now".

I'm pretty sure judging from the video that you can say that Schaub realized what was going on, but since he can't tell the offense what to do until it comes down from up on high, we have to wait for Kubiak and his clock management to get things together.

I believe this is still a situation where Schaub having more freedom would have benefited us and possibly have led to a W in Indy.
Old 04-23-2010   #44
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I can see this being the called play since at 4 and 1 EVERYONE knows you're going to run the ball. I say 70-30 it was the called play.
Perhaps it is.

Maybe it was a play with several options.

First, we spread the field w/3 receivers and a TE.
Then we lined Foster up in the bacfield, showing the possibility of a run.
MS saw that the Dolphins only had 4 to cover the 3 receivers (some teams would have 5).
If we run or sneak, they would have 7 men on the line and we would have only 6 to block.

So he sent Foster out to line up as a wide-out;
Miami didn't bulge. They are still concern that MS may sneak.

But now we have single coverage on all the receivers.
It makes sense to have a hot receiver running a quick slant to the middle.
If the MLB blitz or try to stop MS on a sneak, that interior will be wide open.

And that was the case.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010   #45
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I can't see how you can say that first paragraph with a straight face. How do people not know what is going on? It even looked like Texans players were just milling about waiting for a play to be called while time ran down.
I can say it, because that is how it happened. They are just milling around, because nobody thought anything of it. If any of them thought the play was questionable, they would have been hurrying to the line expecting to spike the ball. But they were all "milling around" waiting for the 2 minute warning.
Quote:
I'm sorry but if I just ran a play and the guy carrying the ball had it pop loose at the end of the play, if we retained possession I would want another play run now.
Except the ball appeared to go out of bounds, and that is the way the refs called it.
Quote:
If either Kubiak notices this or Schaub notices I would want either guy to be able to get the offense together to say "run the ball now".

I'm pretty sure judging from the video that you can say that Schaub realized what was going on, but since he can't tell the offense what to do until it comes down from up on high, we have to wait for Kubiak and his clock management to get things together.
That's a little over exaggeration. You make it sound like Kubiak is telling Matt which count to use, which receiver to throw it to, or when to step up, or step back in the pocket. I'm sure Matt has the same latitude every other QB has when it comes to calling a timeout, or throwing the ball away, or leaving the pocket.

If Matt "knew" something was up, and he didn't get his team to the line to spike the ball, we need to let the mental midget find another place to call home.
Quote:
I believe this is still a situation where Schaub having more freedom would have benefited us and possibly have led to a W in Indy.
I'm not going to argue Matt needs more freedom, I believe he should. I'm sure once he's earned it, he'll get it. I just don't think this is one of those situations. The play happened. They waited several seconds for the 2 minute warning. We went to commercial, and it wasn't until we came back, that the red flag was thrown. It's not like the Colts "knew" the play was questionable.
Old 04-25-2010   #46
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21314 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think it's pretty inevitable things in our offense will change from year to year or we'd be incredibly easy game-plan for. As it stands one could say that many changes are going to happen over the off-season and even decision making duties have changed hands since Kubiak has been here.

To act as though our offensive design will work just as well from one year to the next seems like an easy way to fall behind the curve of other NFL teams.
I don't disagree with the concept that you have to change things to stay ahead of the curve as you put it. I'm not suggesting that everything about the offense should remain exactly the same.

The discussion that I thought I was commenting on was specifically about weather or not Gary should give Matt more freedom to audible at the line of scrimmage. That to me has less to do with the philosophy of how the offense is run and more of who is running it. I know no one is saying that Schaub should "run" the offense but it seems to me that Kubiak is using a system that involves a great deal of detail and order that wouldn't require Matt to change any kind of play but rather where he goes with the ball in the play that is called.

He requires Matt to be able to read the defense and throw the ball to the appropriate receiver based specifically on A: the pre-snap read and B: the post-snap read.. It wouldn't appear to me that in a system like that Matt would need to have more "freedom". In fact, the more comfortable he becomes the easier the post-snap reads should become because the plays are so consistent.

I feel like we were seeing that by late in the season in '09. Matt seemed to become extremely comfortable with the reads. The proof to me is how his pocket presence began to improve more and more from week to week. That's less thinking and more reacting. In my eyes that exactly what Kubiak wants. Read the D, react to their coverage and maybe pump your fist a little bit as your run off the field.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read