Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-19-2010   #1
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 84986 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What "Reach" could help us, and what "Drop" could hurt us?

Okay, let's get some feedback from all the in-house draft gurus about what the rest of us should be rooting for and against on Thursday night.

What I want to know is the guy who everyone expects to go in the bottom 1/3 of round one, or early round 2 (or even later for that matter) that you think could go before we pick, thereby leaving somebody we didn't expect to be there at 20 available for our pick. Bonus points for naming the team that throws the monkey wrench into things (although you only get 1/2 of the bonus points if you say The Raiders).

On the flip side, who's that guy in everyone's top 19 who will see his stock fall past the #20 pick who only hurts us. For example, if Claussen drops to the twenty pick this means one of the first 19 picks would have been there for us if Clausen was already taken. For this purpose assume we're not able to trade down, so Clausen (or anyone else) dropping can't be considered a positive.

Last edited by ChampionTexan; 04-19-2010 at 01:53 PM.
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010   #2
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What "Reach" could help us, and what "Drop" could hurt us?

(A) Nate Allen/Charles Brown/Sergio Kindle and (B) Dez Bryant/Jimmy Clausen/Taylor Mays.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010   #3
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Rises: Brandon Graham - Patrick Robinson - Jared Odrick

Drops: Dez Bryant - Jimmy Clausen - Bryan Bulaga
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010   #4
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Rises: Brandon Graham - Patrick Robinson - Jared Odrick

Drops: Dez Bryant - Jimmy Clausen - Bryan Bulaga
I think Clausen dropping helps us in a trade down scenario, if we are willing to drop into the 35-42 range. There would surely be some desire by some teams in the first half of round 2 to jump up and take him.

Certainly, we want to see Dez Bryant off the board. Also, I'd like to see Ryan Matthews gone. Perhaps someone could get antsy and jump up for Tebow or Colt.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010   #5
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I think Clausen dropping helps us in a trade down scenario, if we are willing to drop into the 35-42 range. There would surely be some desire by some teams in the first half of round 2 to jump up and take him.

Certainly, we want to see Dez Bryant off the board. Also, I'd like to see Ryan Matthews gone. Perhaps someone could get antsy and jump up for Tebow or Colt.
We need people who shouldn't go or positions we don't need to go. 6 left tackles, 5 DE's, two wrs, 2-3 qbs, ect...
Old 04-19-2010   #6
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
We need people who shouldn't go or positions we don't need to go. 6 left tackles, 5 DE's, two wrs, 2-3 qbs, ect...
I hear you. But, I think almost any scenario that doesn't have a top CB, RB, S, or Pouncey there will leave us in a prime trade down scenario... which, considering the depth of rounds 2-4 this year at those positions, is a great place to be.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010   #7
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Rolando Mclain falling would hurt us. Would you pass on a talent like him? Even though we dont need another LB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-20-2010   #8
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp View Post
Rolando Mclain falling would hurt us. Would you pass on a talent like him? Even though we dont need another LB.
Yes. I think he is a bit overhyped. But a team with a need for LB will take him. My $$$ is on the Giants.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010   #9
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected

"Reach" - Jerry Hughes

I keep hearing his stock is on the rise. I know it's McShay but he said as high as 12 to Miami?!
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010   #10
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp View Post
Gotta remember the "whole" is greater than the parts sometimes. Flying off of the seat of my pants here so I might be wrong.,...Travis Johnson and John McCargo and Kamberon Wiblerly ( North Carolina St. ) I believe, were all on the same D-line. As a whole they were studs. Once they went their separate ways, not so much.

Terrance Cody allowed Bama to do a lot of scheming. Their safetys could play deeper and the Mike didn't have a lot of garbage to run though to get to the ball. I'm not suggesting this is true With McClain, but simply offering up a possible explanation of the drop.
Old 04-20-2010   #11
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

I doub't this happens but if any of the offensive tackles falls to us then we may be able to move down and pick up some draft picks as there are many teams in need of a tackle.

Risers: Maurkice Pouncey, Brandon Graham, and Devon McCourty

Dropers: Joe Haden, Earl Thomas (misses tackles and needs to get stronger, might not happen but you never know), and Jimmy Clausen (could entice someone who wants him to trade/swap picks with us)
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010   #12
jppaul
Cut and Dry

Rep Power: 1193 jppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Gotta remember the "whole" is greater than the parts sometimes. Flying off of the seat of my pants here so I might be wrong.,...Travis Johnson and John McCargo and Kamberon Wiblerly ( North Carolina St. ) I believe, were all on the same D-line. As a whole they were studs. Once they went their separate ways, not so much.

Terrance Cody allowed Bama to do a lot of scheming. Their safetys could play deeper and the Mike didn't have a lot of garbage to run though to get to the ball. I'm not suggesting this is true With McClain, but simply offering up a possible explanation of the drop.
Kameron wimbley and Travis Johnson played for fsu about the same time. The line you are thinking of is manny Lawson John mccargo tank Tyler? Mario Williams.
jppaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010   #13
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope the Jags get scared and pick Tebow at #10. That would help ET fall a bit further...
Old 04-22-2010   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it is possible for McCourty to go before #20 and that should help someone slide. I agree that Claussen @ #20 would maybe get us a trade down.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read