Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-14-2010   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default San Francisco & Texans trade?

NFL Total Access last night reviewed 49ers and suggested SF trade out of #13 which leaves them #17. A second round this year and a first from next was the trade & it was mentioned that a 1st round next year would be much cheaper under a new CBA with proposed salary caps for rookies as incentative.

Would you do that deal? #13 would probably get you Haden CB, Kyle Wilson (some supposedly like him more) or Earl Thomas FS. All three have been mocked at maybe gone by our #20.

Texans would still have # 20 to draft or trade down. Or do you go with what we have and hope you can get a starter at # 20 or trade down?

Last edited by badboy; 04-14-2010 at 08:50 AM.
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #2
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: San Francisco & Texans trade?

I am never inclined to give up draft picks.

For a franchise changing player I might but I'm talking Franchise QB type player not a CB or FS.
Old 04-14-2010   #3
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd do it and draft Spiller.
Old 04-14-2010   #4
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

What about giving our 2nd and next season 1st and drafting Thomas? You could then use # 20 if Wilson is there or trade with Chargers and get either their 2nd to replace ours sent to SF or aforementioned trade of swapping 2nds and getting their 3rd. Thomas may drop to us at #20 but everything points to him being an elite FS. One of the radio guys mentioned last week we could draft him and cut Eugene Wilson whom the radio guy said had been signed to a ridiculously over paid deal. I believe Thomas would strengthen Quin or a Haden.
Old 04-14-2010   #5
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
NFL Total Access last night reviewed 49ers and suggested SF trade out of #13 which leaves them #17. A second round this year and a first from next was the trade & it was mentioned that a 1st round next year would be much cheaper under a new CBA with proposed salary caps for rookies as incentative.

Would you do that deal? #13 would probably get you Haden CB, Kyle Wilson (some supposedly like him more) or Earl Thomas FS. All three have been mocked at maybe gone by our #20.

Texans would still have # 20 to draft or trade down. Or do you go with what we have and hope you can get a starter at # 20 or trade down?
Why trade up when a great player will be available for us @ #20 at a cheaper price?
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #6
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 118533 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Why trade up when a great player will be available for us @ #20 at a cheaper price?
This is where I'm at right now. If the Texans only had one hole to fill and the marquee replacement will require moving up, then fine, pull the trigger. As is stands, the Texans will certainly have a good player available at a position of need.
Old 04-14-2010   #7
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Usually I'm very hesitant about trading up but I'd have to give this one serious thought. We'd essentially be getting next year 1st round pick this year and since next years 1st round pick figures to be much lower than #13 then the trade is in our favor. Also the talent level in next years draft figures to be lower because so many quality underclassmen are coming out this year. We'd be giving up this years 2nd round pick which would hurt since the talent level in this draft is so high but for a franchise CB (Haden) it might be worth it.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-14-2010   #8
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Who is this great player? As I noted all players we all like have been posted at one time or another to be drafted already. If we can get a great player @ #20 but you can get a possibly even greater player @13 for a 2nd & a late first next season?

If we could get Haden at 13 and Thomas at #20 & maybe Tate or Gerhart in 3rd, I'd probably do that. Even better if we could do a trade down.
Old 04-14-2010   #9
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Who is this great player? As I noted all players we all like have been posted at one time or another to be drafted already. If we can get a great player @ #20 but you can get a possibly even greater player @13 for a 2nd & a late first next season?

If we could get Haden at 13 and Thomas at #20 & maybe Tate or Gerhart in 3rd, I'd probably do that. Even better if we could do a trade down.
My mistake. I didnt read the trade correctly. I though it said trade our first and 2nd this year for the #13 pick.

Personally I think it would take more than our #2 this year, and #1 next year since picks from the next year are generally worth less value wise.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #10
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6656 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

I would do it if we were sure that we could also pull the trade with SD and get some of those picks back.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #11
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

If we did trade 2010's 2nd and 2011's first round pick, it would have to be to get Earl Thomas at #13. That makes sense, you're talking about one of the best Free Safety prospects to come out in years, and he would give the Texans more marketability around the state. Use that 20th pick on CB Wilson or Haden if they are there, if not try to trade back 4-9 spots and get McCourty. The could sell Ryan Matthews to the Chargers for a swap of our 3rd and their 2nd. Now that would be a bold set of moves on the Front Office's part.
Old 04-14-2010   #12
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185617 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

This team is in Win Now mode - That said , having two #1's wouldnt be a bad way to fill some holes - They could fix two of three big needs with premium picks - Those being CB , S and RB.

If those players step in and contribute like you would expect from a #1 this team would be playoff bound.

Then again - I hate to give up picks ..... Couldnt we just give them a case of Shiner for that #1 ?

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #13
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
If we did trade 2010's 2nd and 2011's first round pick, it would have to be to get Earl Thomas at #13. That makes sense, you're talking about one of the best Free Safety prospects to come out in years, and he would give the Texans more marketability around the state. Use that 20th pick on CB Wilson or Haden if they are there, if not try to trade back 4-9 spots and get McCourty. The could sell Ryan Matthews to the Chargers for a swap of our 3rd and their 2nd. Now that would be a bold set of moves on the Front Office's part.
Hold up one moment. Do not go overboard with the hyperbole. Thomas is a great player but to call him one of the best FS prospects to come out in years is a stretch. Eric Berry is the best FS prospect to come out in years.

I put Berry, Sean Taylor(2004), LaRon Landry(2007), Brandon Merriweather(2007) and Michael Huff(2006) as the best Free Safety prospects in the last 6 drafts. I am not sure where I would put Thomas, but he is not in the top 5 of basically the past 6 years.

He is a very good prospect, but he is not one of the best FS prospects to come out in years. And this is coming not only from a guy who pays attention to the draft, but a HUGE Longhorns fan.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #14
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
This team is in Win Now mode - That said , having two #1's wouldnt be a bad way to fill some holes - They could fix two of three big needs with premium picks - Those being CB , S and RB.

If those players step in and contribute like you would expect from a #1 this team would be playoff bound.

Then again - I hate to give up picks ..... Couldnt we just give them a case of Shiner for that #1 ?
Dude, its San Francisco. They don't drink beer in San Francisco. They sniff wine and then spit it into spitoons.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
Hold up one moment. Do not go overboard with the hyperbole. Thomas is a great player but to call him one of the best FS prospects to come out in years is a stretch. Eric Berry is the best FS prospect to come out in years.

I put Berry, Sean Taylor(2004), LaRon Landry(2007), Brandon Merriweather(2007) and Michael Huff(2006) as the best Free Safety prospects in the last 6 drafts. I am not sure where I would put Thomas, but he is not in the top 5 of basically the past 6 years.

He is a very good prospect, but he is not one of the best FS prospects to come out in years. And this is coming not only from a guy who pays attention to the draft, but a HUGE Longhorns fan.
I think if he had stayed one more year at Texas he would have been a Top 10 pick & in discussion with those names submitted. remember Earl is only a redshirt sophomore
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010   #16
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I think if he had stayed one more year at Texas he would have been a Top 10 pick & in discussion with those names submitted. remember Earl is only a redshirt sophomore
I still would not call him one of the best ever to come out. His body of work is to small, and his frame is on the small size to go with those guys already mentioned as top guys.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010   #17
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
I still would not call him one of the best ever to come out. His body of work is to small, and his frame is on the small size to go with those guys already mentioned as top guys.
the problem is we will never know, until he actually plays in the NFL because there is not enough evidence to support this claim based off only two years of College. In large part this is the reason why we (rmartin65/badboy) projected him #20, that is until his pro-day when he ran a sub 4.4
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Here is the question, what players available at #13 would be worth our 2nd round this season and our theoretically low first next season? I think several. We then should net a starter with #20 or even better trading with Chargers to get someone like McCourty. Even Nate Allen FS @#28 is not too big a reach.

Spiller Rb @ #13, CB McCourty at #28 and in 2nd use Chargers #40 on RBs Ben Tate or Gerhart or DT Lamarr Houston or FS Burnett and our 3rd for FS Major Wright or C/OG JD Walton 4th LG MArshall Newhouse, Jordan Shipley WR

I like: 1st #13 Spiller RB 1st #28 (S.Diego) McCourty CB 2nd #40 (S.D.) L.Houston D.T. 3rd. Major Wright FS 4th. Newhouse LG 5th Joique Bell RB 6'1"233 http://nfldraft.rivals.com/cviewplay...uting#scouting
Old 04-15-2010   #19
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

So Slaton is Not coming back next year ? Or or you going to trade SS after or during draft day for two six packs and a ham sandwich ( a forth round or lower pick) ? Inquiring minds wish to know.

With our line backers I don't believe Earl Thomas will have a lot of exposure. I'd move up for Thomas or Iupati. Every thing else I could find in rounds two through four. So could a lot of others on the board. We've been doing it for weeks. The two biggest holes are the interior of the o-line and the back four. Up to you to figure out which is the best way to slay those two dragons.
Old 04-15-2010   #20
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think you have a better chance finding a starting OG in the middle of the draft than you do finding a starting FS. If it came down to Thomas or Iupati, I would take Thomas 100% of the time.

That said, I would not like the trade up. This draft is too talented, if anything the Texans should try to trade out of the first and get a couple 2nds and 3rds.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read