Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-08-2005   #1
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Whats the verdict on Channing Crowder?

I know we had a thread on him a week or two ago, but im curious now that we have Greenwood and Sharper may be traded.. what do you think of him?

from what I hear.. he is a great athlete and a talented ILB. hes a liiiiiittttlllle large for a 3-4 ILB, but not much.

Also.. he has an attitude that has led to SOME off the field issues, but he also shows that attitude ON the field.. gets fired up.. talks smack.. that kinda thing. That is something we could probably USE on our defense.

Im not real sure on his coverage abilities.

What do you think of him? and do you think it would be a huge reach to take him at #13? (before you answer that one.. think about Dunta Robinson and Babin.. they werent exactly projected to go where they did)
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005   #2
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

I lovvvvvvvvveeee Crowder. If we take him at #13, I'd be stoked. I dont know if he's worth it, but I just like to watch the kid play.
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005   #3
TexansCanes
All Pro

he is a smart kid to, i think he got a 30 on the wonderlick (for what ever it is worth). wouldn't be upset if we happen to trade down and he is one of our picks. i like his attitude on the field and hopefully he has matured a little to put an end to his off the field issues (throwing kegs).
Old 03-08-2005   #4
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

I also like Crowder, but I feel 13 is too high for him...

If we were to trade down to pick 19, he'd have good value there...

Many have criticized his maturity, but I feel a strict coach like Capers could keep him in line...
Old 03-08-2005   #5
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

Crowder is a good to great ILB, but his past injuries would make me think twice about picking him. He tore his ACL pretty bad his freshman year or senior year in high school.
Old 03-08-2005   #6
uga_iv
Rookie

Good player in college, but too risky health wise and character wise for us. Pass in round 1 and 2.
uga_iv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005   #7
LikeABoss
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 LikeABoss seems to be losing the respect of his peers
Thumbs up

Most scouts feels he is the best MLB in the draft, I say pick him @13 if he is real high on the TEXANS draft board
Old 03-09-2005   #8
Beastlyman2003
Veteran

I say we trade down w/ Dallas so they can get their WR in Troy Williamson, and we can pickup a couple extra picks and pick up Crowder. That dude is just nasty on the field. see ANTWAN PEEK.

By the way(a little off subject) but i love it when I see Peek out there getting all in somebodys @$$! I dont know why some guys are like," He is too immature, he needs to be under control" and i agree to a short extent but I love it when a player has a fire burning inside and they play with everything they got. Like after they get a tackle, they dont just stand up(Jamie Sharper) and walk back to the huddle, They get up clapping and hoopin and hollerin. I just think we shouldnt always try to control Peek, I think we should UNLEASH him.
Beastlyman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #9
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont think it is his intensity that is being questioned. it is both whether or not he allows his intensity to overcome his ability to make good decisions (like rushing instead of falling into coverage) and whether or not he is able to learn the system we run and not make many mistakes.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #10
Beastlyman2003
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
I dont think it is his intensity that is being questioned. it is both whether or not he allows his intensity to overcome his ability to make good decisions (like rushing instead of falling into coverage) and whether or not he is able to learn the system we run and not make many mistakes.
Would you take him making a mistake in coverage if he got..a sack?
Old 03-09-2005   #11
MojoX
Veteran

Rep Power: 447 MojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastlyman2003
Not if that coverage (or run) mistake results in a first down or a score, thereby nullifying the yardage lost on the sack.
MojoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #12
jr0ck
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jr0ck

Quote:
nope...a player handles their responsibility on the field above all else for two main reasons:

(1) it shows trust in your teamates, and no trust = no team. so peek would hypothetically blow coverage and rush because he trust's his own ability to get to the QB more than he trusts his defense to handle their responsibilties?

(2) you fullfill your duty in a scheme and your job is done. if the team's effort is successful then everyone wins, if you blow your assignment and the team's effort is fruitless it is your fault.

... ... i'll get off my piano now...

Last edited by jr0ck; 03-09-2005 at 08:03 PM.
jr0ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #13
Beastlyman2003
Veteran

i wasnt implying that he rushed when he was supposed to drop but if he actually made a mistake while in coverage, if he got a sack later.(not nessecarily that play but just a sack at any time that game)

My point is would you take a mistake in coverage for every sack(rational)
Old 03-10-2005   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastlyman2003
My point is would you take a mistake in coverage for every sack(rational)
Why would anyone pick the sack? A sack means loss of a few yards and a down. In some cases it will mean end of the series. A "mistake" in coverage will almost always result in a 1st down and often will lead to a big play/TD.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read