Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-18-2010   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Connor Barwin mini-interview

Had a chance to do a brief interview of Connor Barwin when I was at the Texans Cheerleader Tryouts. Here's the blog post

Connor Barwin mini-interview + people like cheerleaders (who knew?)

Says he had about 35% of snaps last year, will work hard to try to improve that number.
Old 04-18-2010   #2
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Rep Power: 1892 wagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Connor Barwin mini-interview

I'd love to see him get more snaps next year and move Smith inside more.
wagonhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010   #3
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonhed View Post
Naturally he will against the Colts and other 3 wide set offenses given how often the nickel and dime defense is on the field in those games.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010   #4
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24496 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

I couldn`t really see much Texans game last season (somehow the German TV stations ain`t too much in love with this team ;-), so I need your input on this: is he really that bad against the run? He seems to be really good at getting at the QB, and Smith seems to be really good in the interior line, so for me it seems like that`s the way to go in the future - if Barwin is at least serviceable against the run.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010   #5
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
I couldn`t really see much Texans game last season (somehow the German TV stations ain`t too much in love with this team ;-), so I need your input on this: is he really that bad against the run? He seems to be really good at getting at the QB, and Smith seems to be really good in the interior line, so for me it seems like that`s the way to go in the future - if Barwin is at least serviceable against the run.
He was pretty raw. He has a great motor though. Certainly, on a run down, it doesn't make sense for him to be in the game when you can have A.Smith on the end. Also, he's the type of high intensity guy that you want to rotate. Rest him on run downs and unleash him on passing downs. My guess is he'll play about 50% of the snaps this year and I would be surprised, barring injury, if he doesn't have at least 8 sacks and make a number of plays.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010   #6
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonhed View Post
Does anyone know how smith did, numbers wise, compared to when he was lined up outside?

If Barwin continues to impress, is it possible to imagine him (Smith) moving to the inside permanantly to allow Barwin to be on the field more?
Old 04-18-2010   #7
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33817 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I like Conner and I think he'll show improvment next season and be an important player on D for the Texans.
Sponsored links
Old 04-18-2010   #8
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9610 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
Does anyone know how smith did, numbers wise, compared to when he was lined up outside?

If Barwin continues to impress, is it possible to imagine him (Smith) moving to the inside permanantly to allow Barwin to be on the field more?
Doubt there's any reason to permanently move Smith inside. He found his role as the season moved on rotating between the two spots. Conner can increase his PT by being incorporated into the regular DE rotation on every down as opposed to strictly pass rush downs. Bump up that 35% number to 45% or 50% and lets see what happens. He was also getting some time at LB in odd fronts so I'm sure the coaching staff has some more ideas on how to utilize his talent. Very excited about this guy.
Old 04-18-2010   #9
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
you can buy NFL rewind for $15 and watch all the games online as many times as you want in a month. Or pay $50 I think and have it all summer I believe.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010   #10
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Google slingbox and beg your parents to hook their house up with Tivo. Staying up til (or waking up at) 3am is pretty brutal.

Edit: or anybody you know in Houston.
Old 04-19-2010   #11
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 24148 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
you can buy NFL rewind for $15 and watch all the games online as many times as you want in a month. Or pay $50 I think and have it all summer I believe.
Thanks for the info. I will have to do this for the next two seasons in Korea.
Old 04-19-2010   #12
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
Naturally he will against the Colts and other 3 wide set offenses given how often the nickel and dime defense is on the field in those games.
It should be interesting to see if we adopt the 3-3-5 strategy the Saints used to beat the Colts.

There was an article after the SB that this was the blueprint to beating Manning. That's obviously hyperbolic, but I wouldn't be shock to see it used a lot more, especially by us with how good our LB corp is.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010   #13
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
It should be interesting to see if we adopt the 3-3-5 strategy the Saints used to beat the Colts.

There was an article after the SB that this was the blueprint to beating Manning. That's obviously hyperbolic, but I wouldn't be shock to see it used a lot more, especially by us with how good our LB corp is.
With the departure of their old offensive line coach, I am guessing that the Colts may put resources on getting bigger up front, and getting more serious about running the ball. That's one way of deal with that, especially if the three guys up front aren't huge defensive linemen.
Old 04-19-2010   #14
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's a thought. Draft Brandon Graham with our first round pick, then make him and Barwin our OLBs in our new 3-4 defense with Ryans & Cushing at ILBs, and Mario & Antonio Smith our DEs. I'm still working on what we do about Nose Tackle, but the lineup I've just described IMO would be an improvement over our existing defense.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010   #15
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that defense would have very exploitable flaws in it, or which would take another year of FA and drafting to fix.

That would feature a lot of players playing OOP, and that would worry me.
Old 04-19-2010   #16
texanskan
Veteran

Section: 115 Row H
Rep Power: 611 texanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to texanskan

lets hope Barwin and Jacoby lay off the sauce. They were getting drunk at the draft party drinking beer out of coke cups.

I hope Jacoby had a driver

"You either got a jump shot or you slang crack rock"
texanskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010   #17
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txn_in_NC View Post
Thanks for the info. I will have to do this for the next two seasons in Korea.
Sorry to break it to you but...

https://gamerewind.nfl.com/nflgr/secure/registerform
Quote:
You are accessing this page from a restricted territory. NFL Game Rewind is only available in the United States. View all restriction details.
I think Barwin is a good addition to the team, Its a shame that we are still desperate for a NT and CB to make his life a little easier but I'm sure over the next 2 years or so we can fill those holes in time for him reaching his peak.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010   #18
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
He was pretty raw. He has a great motor though. Certainly, on a run down, it doesn't make sense for him to be in the game when you can have A.Smith on the end. Also, he's the type of high intensity guy that you want to rotate. Rest him on run downs and unleash him on passing downs. My guess is he'll play about 50% of the snaps this year and I would be surprised, barring injury, if he doesn't have at least 8 sacks and make a number of plays.
I think this is how he should be used. I'm just not sure he can notch any more PT above about 40-50%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post

Nope, in certain situations I imagine it's ok to rotate Smith in a few plays a game. But, he's not big enough to do so permanent and even then I like Smith's motor and nasty disposition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
Doubt there's any reason to permanently move Smith inside. He found his role as the season moved on rotating between the two spots. Conner can increase his PT by being incorporated into the regular DE rotation on every down as opposed to strictly pass rush downs. Bump up that 35% number to 45% or 50% and lets see what happens. He was also getting some time at LB in odd fronts so I'm sure the coaching staff has some more ideas on how to utilize his talent. Very excited about this guy.
There shouldn't be any doubt. There's no need to move him inside on a permanent basis and he couldn't handle being inside full time. I'm also not sure Barwin is an every down DE either.

Wouldn't surprise me though to see the staff try to move him into more of a hybrid role in putting up exotic defensive looks. Wasn't excited when we drafted the kid, but he showed a good motor last year. I'm hoping for what we passed up he becomes a spark in the pass rushing game.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010   #19
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9610 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Check out this FO article on projecting sack totals.

http://footballoutsiders.com/nfl-dra...ucing-sackseer

Fairly accurate overall with only a few of the projected high sack guys bombing and none of the guys they projected as busts producing much in terms of sacks. It uses a formula which takes into account sack production in college, vertical leap, and short shuttle. Conner comes in as the 6th highest projected sack total since 1999. Mario is 2nd. One of the notable busts on their list is Babin. I will be surprised if Barwin doesn't start to rack up double digit sack seasons real soon.
Old 04-20-2010   #20
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Rep Power: 1892 wagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respected

awesome article, thanks

I totally agree about the importance of the vertical leap!
wagonhed is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read