Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

View Poll Results: Who will the Texans select in the first round?
Earl Thomas: FS, Texas 9 15.25%
Kyle Wilson: CB, Boise State 20 33.90%
Ryan Mathews: RB, Fresno State 14 23.73%
Devin McCourty: CB, Rutgers 5 8.47%
Taylor Mays: S, Southern California 4 6.78%
Brian Price: DT, UCLA 0 0%
Other 7 11.86%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-18-2010   #1
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4281 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Who do you think the Texans will select in the first round?

With the 2010 Draft less than one week away, I just wanted to poll the forum and see who everyone thinks the Texans will draft in the first round this year.

I've listed players that most "draft gurus" generally see who the Texans will pick that could be available at the #20 spot. If you think the Texans will trade up or down and select a player not on this list, then choose Other and specify who you think they will select.
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010   #2
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 74351 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who do you think the Texans will select in the first round?

I love Thomas at 20. I do think a team will take him way too high but I think he represents a lot of value at that particular slot.
Old 04-18-2010   #3
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93152 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted other. The first three will be gone, the last three aren't good value.
Old 04-18-2010   #4
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 191640 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd prefer Thomas but I doubt he will be there @ 20 ..... I voted Wilson.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010   #5
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6656 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I'd prefer Thomas but I doubt he will be there @ 20 ..... I voted Wilson.
That was my reasoning too.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010   #6
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Thomas' pro day IMO sealed him going high. If he was there at 20 they need to jump up to the podium.

I don't think he'll be there, so I voted for Wilson who should be there. We need help on the back end of this defense in a bad way.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010   #7
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with most of the replies. I believe Thomas will be gone, so I voted Wilson.
JCTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-18-2010   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

take Devin McCourty in some kind of trade down scenero
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010   #9
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
There are so many good players in this years draft that I can actually see Wilson and Mathews being available.

Ive used the ESPN.com draft machine a few times and each time Wilson and Mathews are still on the board.

I picked Wilson by the way. The Texans strike me as a team who will want to replace Dunta right off the bat with the best corner on the board. Then take a strike at RB in the 2nd or 3rd.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010   #10
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4281 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Then who would you choose that's not on the list?
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010   #11
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Dan Williams DT tennessee
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Is this the same as a "who do you want the Texans to draft" poll? Or should I start one?

I know the Texans are going to draft someone off our radar, & I'd like to get somewhat of a consensus so I can judge what kind of atmosphere to expect come Thursday.
Old 04-20-2010   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153912 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I say Wilson but Thomas gone. I like McCourty in trade down scenario and if he is gone could see FS Nate Allen if the trade is far enough down. A shut down CB like I think Wilson can be makes your safeties look much better. I have us taking RB in 2nd.
Old 04-20-2010   #14
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Thomas' pro day IMO sealed him going high. If he was there at 20 they need to jump up to the podium.

I don't think he'll be there, so I voted for Wilson who should be there. We need help on the back end of this defense in a bad way.
all he did was run a forty and pull a hammie ? He77s Bells. LOL.

I U P A T I

And thanks Mario for including him on the poll.
Old 04-21-2010   #15
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

On our current roster Slaton is busted-up from 2009 injuries and recovering from surgery on his neck during the offseason and Foster had injury problems during his college career and another 2009 rookie, Jeremy Johnson, spent his rookie season on IR for injuries. Is that a hint for anybody ?
Running backs just get busted on a regulr basis and both Spiller & Mathews have extensve injury historys in their college careers.
Use one or both of our 6-rounders and the seventh rounder on running backs
and save the top Draft picks for more valuable positions.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010   #16
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51562 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
On our current roster Slaton is busted-up from 2009 injuries and recovering from surgery on his neck during the offseason and Foster had injury problems during his college career and another 2009 rookie, Jeremy Johnson, spent his rookie season on IR for injuries. Is that a hint for anybody ?
Running backs just get busted on a regulr basis and both Spiller & Mathews have extensve injury historys in their college careers.
Use one or both of our 6-rounders and the seventh rounder on running backs
and save the top Draft picks for more valuable positions.
Spiller only missed one game in 4 years of college.
Old 04-21-2010   #17
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 263584 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know why everyone wants Spiller. He's a small back that is not suited for full time play. That's just not good value in the first round.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010   #18
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I don't know why everyone wants Spiller. He's a small back that is not suited for full time play. That's just not good value in the first round.
I agree with you that CJ should not come to Houston, but you cannot lump all smaller backs together.

Chris Johnson - 5'11" 200lbs
CJ Spiller - 5'11" 196lbs
DeAngelo Williams 5'9" 216lbs

I think Spiller would be great for a team like the 49ers who already have a larger back.
Old 04-21-2010   #19
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not a fan of drafting Spiller but he is a play maker. When I look at how MJD always gets cheap yards against us and how alot of it is because we don't know if he has the ball until after he's outside the tackles or past the center and guard, I think of what Spiller could do for our play action pass plays. With a guy like Spiller if you don't realize he has the ball until he's past the line, it might be too late and he could already be in the endzone.

I personally don't have him ranked high on my favorite players to draft list but I can't really get mad if he falls to us and we pick him. Dude played a game with a broken toe once and still had like 200 yards total offense.

There's really only 3 DBs that I'd spend a first on - Earl Thomas, Kyle Wilson, Joe Haden, and maybe Nate Allen. So there's going to be plenty of good DB value in rounds 2 and 3. Same can be said for RBs too though so I think either way they go would be good.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010   #20
Blake
MMQB

Earl Thomas - 25%
Joe Haden - 20%
Kyle Wilson - 15%
Taylor Mays - 10%
Ryan Mathews - 10%
CJ Spiller - 10%
Maurkice Pouncey - 5%
Mike Iupati 5%

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read