Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-16-2010   #1
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Lance Z talks. You don't have to read!

He's smart and we like him.

http://podcast.footballguys.com/2010...010-Vol47a.mp3
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010   #2
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Lance Z talks. You don't have to read!

Thanks for posting. Listening to it now.
Old 04-16-2010   #3
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 53235 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

too long; didn't listen.... err wait, what?

brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010   #4
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Lance Z talks. You don't have to read!
*somber music playing*
Old 04-16-2010   #5
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
*somber music playing*
Why??
Old 04-16-2010   #6
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Why??
I can't listen to LZ, fool!

Old 04-17-2010   #7
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

LZ does a great Lou Holtz on a mobile at the end of the interview.

Some things from LZ:

Spiller would be the Texans pick over Mathews if both on the board, though Mathews a perfect fit.

Hardesty a great fit in 2nd round, but durability issues.

Gerhart lacks a burst in the first 10 yards.

Best doesn't make sense for the Texans.

Ben Tate more of a 3rd round guy, doesn't play to his timed speed.

Dwyer would be someone the Texans look at in the 2nd round.

Lonyae Miller and James Starks would be later round possibilities at RB.

As many as 10-11 starters at CB out of this draft class.

Likes Kyle Wilson's ability to turn and run with WRs.

Questions about Haden's deep speed, but explodes to the ball well.

McCourty has few flaws, speed & size, along with top special teams ability.

Kareem Jackson is overrated due to being in Bama's great program.

Patrick Robinson doesn't play to his talent, not a fan of Chris Cook (doesn't change direction well), Ghee he likes, doesn't love.

Owusu-Ansah he really likes, but may be a FS. Not a fan of Franks (why?), likes Jerome Murphy's ability to play either CB or FS.

Spivey is physical and well coached, a solid 4th round talent.

If you can get past Perrish Cox's character issues, he plays at a faster speed than timed along with great return ability. May need to play in a scheme with a safety over the top.

Myron Lewis isn't going to tackle much, but he can cover. There is depth at CB through the 4th and 5th rounds.

Taylor Mays might go to Oakland, but it would be a huge mistake. If not, he could drop all the way to the Cowboys @27. Not as physical as he is reported to be.

If Dez Bryant gets past Seattle at #14, he could fall to Vikings at #30.
Old 04-17-2010   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

Some things from LZ:

Spiller would be the Texans pick over Mathews if both on the board, though Mathews a perfect fit.

Patrick Robinson doesn't play to his talent, not a fan of Chris Cook (doesn't change direction well), Ghee he likes, doesn't love.

Owusu-Ansah he really likes, but may be a FS. Not a fan of Franks (why?), likes Jerome Murphy's ability to play either CB or FS.

If you can get past Perrish Cox's character issues, he plays at a faster speed than timed along with great return ability. May need to play in a scheme with a safety over the top.

Myron Lewis isn't going to tackle much, but he can cover. There is depth at CB through the 4th and 5th rounds.

Taylor Mays might go to Oakland, but it would be a huge mistake. If not, he could drop all the way to the Cowboys @27. Not as physical as he is reported to be.

very nice recap my man

yes I would like to ask why he doesn't like Franks too. I think the Texans are in perfect position to steal him away from the Packers. If I had to guess though, I would bet its because he doesn't think hes a press corner like McCourty. In reality it has more to do with Stupps zone scheme @ Oklahoma which is not an accurate reflection of his press corner ability. He has smooth hips, opens to either side easily & looks fluid doing it, then can mirror off the hip of receiver with just as good of ball skills as McCourty, however not as physcial. I think he would be a decent compliment to Glover who is physcial but lacks some the cover skills plus speed on deeper routes.

I'm also warming up to Mays. I honestly feel USC plays soft, I've watched them now for like 41 years & they just seem to go through the motions, because they feel better than their competition or just know they can turn it on when they need to & still win games. I think Mays may have fallen into this trap? Just look at Cushing & the impact he has made his rookie season. He cut the hair, bought the chamber & took the buisness of football more serious, what if the same thing happens to Mays? I would say the sky is the limit & working with Brain, that familarity already established could possibly make a knock out trojan tandem

Closing I really think LZ is terrific & has national upside if he so chooses. He is easy going, funny & compentent with his draft/football knowledge to hang with the big boys. I'd like to see him get a shot.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010   #9
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

Some things from LZ:

I like a lot of this, but I have to disagree with a couple things.
1) Gerhart lacking burst is ridiculous. Before the combine, when everyone thought he was the stereotypical plodding white runningback that lacked speed, they said he had good burst (no link, stuff I remember from ESPN). A 1.55 ten yard split is a respectable time for a power back. And better than Dwyer's 1.60, though worse than Tate and Mathews (1.49). Add in that testing is not the end all, and I don't see anything to worry about.

2) Hardesty is a workout warrior. I did not see anything on the field to make me believe he should be taken above the 3rd round, and coupled with his extensive injury history, I would not touch him before the fourth.

3) I am jumping off a cliff (metaphor people, I am not pulling a swt here) if the Texans select Dwyer.

4) Not a huge McCourty fan, I don't know why. It sounds like everyone else likes him though, so I may be wrong.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010   #10
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I'm also warming up to Mays. I honestly feel USC plays soft, I've watched them now for like 41 years & they just seem to go through the motions, because they feel better than their competition or just know they can turn it on when they need to & still win games. I think Mays may have fallen into this trap? Just look at Cushing & the impact he has made his rookie season. He cut the hair, bought the chamber & took the buisness of football more serious, what if the same thing happens to Mays? I would say the sky is the limit & working with Brain, that familarity already established could possibly make a knock out trojan tandem
If you saw any of the Senior-Bowl week of practice on the NFL Network you saw how woeful Mays was in pass coverage. He's just the kind of free-safety who's time has passed while a Earl Thomas is just the kind who, because of his very impressive pass coverage skills, is rapidly moving up in rankings among DBs.
As a box/strong-safety or WIL, now that's where this guy projects to an NFL team IMO.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010   #11
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
1) Gerhart lacking burst is ridiculous. Before the combine, when everyone thought he was the stereotypical plodding white runningback that lacked speed, they said he had good burst (no link, stuff I remember from ESPN). A 1.55 ten yard split is a respectable time for a power back. And better than Dwyer's 1.60, though worse than Tate and Mathews (1.49). Add in that testing is not the end all, and I don't see anything to worry about.

2) Hardesty is a workout warrior. I did not see anything on the field to make me believe he should be taken above the 3rd round, and coupled with his extensive injury history, I would not touch him before the fourth.

3) I am jumping off a cliff (metaphor people, I am not pulling a swt here) if the Texans select Dwyer.

4) Not a huge McCourty fan, I don't know why. It sounds like everyone else likes him though, so I may be wrong.
Unless we're switching to two TE's and are going to start running a lot of counter treys, Gerhardt isn't on our board.
Old 04-18-2010   #12
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94431 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Dwyer will be ten times the NFL player that Gerhart will. Gerhart wont have the huge holes to run through like he did in college.
Old 04-18-2010   #13
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Dwyer will be ten times the NFL player that Gerhart will. Gerhart wont have the huge holes to run through like he did in college.
It's a shame then cuz he won't be playing for the Houston Texans.
Dude tested positive for some kind of amphetamine.
Quote:
Dwyer tested positive for amphetamines, but a source told Glazer and/or Marvez that the result was triggered by a prescription medication that Dwyer has clearance to take for a pre-existing condition.
Even if it's cleared through the league I would imagine it would be enough to keep him off the Texans board.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010   #14
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
It's a shame then cuz he won't be playing for the Houston Texans.
Dude tested positive for some kind of amphetamine.

Even if it's cleared through the league I would imagine it would be enough to keep him off the Texans board.
I don't think this matters at all to the Texans, and probably not anyone else. From what I understand, it was a prescribed medication, and he told the NFL ahead of time he was taking it, so the positive test was actually expected.

In some ways, similar to Amobi admitting to smoking pot before the '07 draft. But since it was a legal drug - and legally prescribed, probably even less of a consideration.
Old 04-19-2010   #15
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I doubt it. I think Gerhart has a better career, and it wont even be close. I am not a Dwyer fan. I was at the start of the season, but I watched him closely this year, and was not impressed.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010   #16
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He will if we get Iupati in the first.

1. Mike Iupati OG
2. Toby Gerhart RB
3. Major Wright FS
4. Walter McFadden CB
5. Pat Angerer LB
6. Lonyae Miller RB
6. Brandon Deaderick DT
7. Trindon Holliday WR/ST
Old 04-19-2010   #17
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:

D'oh!!!!

My bad...
Old 04-19-2010   #18
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
I don't think this matters at all to the Texans, and probably not anyone else. From what I understand, it was a prescribed medication, and he told the NFL ahead of time he was taking it, so the positive test was actually expected.

In some ways, similar to Amobi admitting to smoking pot before the '07 draft. But since it was a legal drug - and legally prescribed, probably even less of a consideration.
Agreed. I don't think the Texans view a lone failed drug test like they do beating up a woman. I think they can fogive a kid being a kid, they just like to avoid guys who are repeat offenders or world class d-bags.
Old 04-19-2010   #19
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 118233 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttoKarl View Post

1. Mike Iupati OG
2. Toby Gerhart RB
3. Major Wright FS
4. Walter McFadden CB
5. Pat Angerer LB
6. Lonyae Miller RB
6. Brandon Deaderick DT
No offense, but I'd be pretty upset if our draft went this way. IMO, Iupati's a joke in the first round, he might be chosen in the first, but I don't think he'd be better than what we already have on opening day. He's too raw to come in and produce right away.

I think there'd be a few better RB's to choose from if we were to go that route in the 2nd.

Angerer? Why?
Old 04-19-2010   #20
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I doubt it. I think Gerhart has a better career, and it wont even be close. I am not a Dwyer fan. I was at the start of the season, but I watched him closely this year, and was not impressed.
He'll be ok as long as he holds onto the rock. That's my biggest concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttoKarl View Post

1. Mike Iupati OG
2. Toby Gerhart RB
3. Major Wright FS
4. Walter McFadden CB
5. Pat Angerer LB
6. Lonyae Miller RB
6. Brandon Deaderick DT
Man I would LOVE it if Holliday was there in the 7th. Guy is small but good lord he's got great burst and nice vision in the return game. Draft him and make JJ concentrate on WR duties.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read