Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-16-2010   #1
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1028 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default [CHRONIC] Butler, White sign one-year tenders with Texans

Not big news, but it's about my Texans, so what the hell...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/6962573.html

Offensive tackle Rashad Butler and guard Chris White, both of whom are restricted free agents, signed their one-year tenders Friday.

Butler, entering his fourth season, is the backup at both tackle spots. White is a reserve guard and center entering his fifth season.

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010   #2
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 44792 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: [CHRONIC] Butler, White sign one-year tenders with Texans

Championship!

OL depth is always good, people are always getting banged up there.
Old 04-16-2010   #3
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

The offense didn't miss a beat when Butler replaced DB in the 2nd JAX game
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010   #4
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
The offense didn't miss a beat when Butler replaced DB in the 2nd JAX game
You could say that says as much for Brown as it does for Butler.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010   #5
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
You could say that says as much for Brown as it does for Butler.
I was trying to be positive and not say anything about that.....
Old 04-16-2010   #6
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
I was trying to be positive and not say anything about that.....
If your quarterback leads the league in yards you're doing a damn good job of playing the left tackle position whether its Brown or Butler.
Old 04-16-2010   #7
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
If your quarterback leads the league in yards you're doing a damn good job of playing the left tackle position whether its Brown or Butler.
Which is why I said that I was trying to be positive....
Old 04-17-2010   #8
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35188 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

White is no big deal, fact is he may not make the final roster this year, but
I often wonder if we shouldn't give Butler a more prominent role ?
I think Duane Brown Brown is like Chester was - better LG prospect than LT and perhaps make Butler our starting LT ? Maybe the Texans would give that a shot if they'd drafted Brown in, oh say, the third round instead of the first ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010   #9
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 61262 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
White is no big deal, fact is he may not make the final roster this year, but
I often wonder if we shouldn't give Butler a more prominent role ?
I think Duane Brown Brown is like Chester was - better LG prospect than LT and perhaps make Butler our starting LT ? Maybe the Texans would give that a shot if they'd drafted Brown in, oh say, the third round instead of the first ?
The difference is that Brown was drafted specifically to play LT. Pitts was drafted as a guard and moved to LT of injury need.

The only place I have seen it suggested that Brown is a guard prospect on this board. I don't recall seeing that in any pre-draft material or by any experts, scouting services etc.
Old 04-17-2010   #10
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't have a link. But I do remember reading that, of the seemingly poor sacks allowed specifically against Brown, 5 of those occurred with Schaub having at least 3 1/2 seconds to get rid of the ball..........and he didn't.

Having said that, it would be hard bent to classify Brown as a dominant LT. In fact, it seems to me, that at this point, without a strong LG by his side, his true performance level is more accurately exposed. I like Brown. But, continuing to look for a more dominant LT cannot be criticized.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I know it's not a popular opinion, but if we're going to replace either tackle, I think it would be Winston. I think there is an extremely large amount of improvement to be had on the right side of the line.

I also don't think White will make the team.
Old 04-17-2010   #12
barrett
Hall of Fame

Section: 636
Rep Power: 1155 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow, finally, somebody else who thinks Winston is an under achiever. I had a very hard time punching holes in Brisel's game before he got hurt and towards the end of the 2008 season. Never spectacular but I could never find anything specifically to complain about. Winston played poorly several times a game when I rewatched him isolated.

He really seemed to improve down the stretch against the lesser opponents and I honestly can't remember his performance in the NE game.

He get's caught up and beat waaaaaaaay to often against good players. Partly, better play from the interior could make this look much better but when #8 has to sit on the back side of the pocket Winston is a liability.
Old 04-17-2010   #13
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

The two starting left tackles in the Saints-Colts super bowl were Jermaine Bushrod and Charlie Johnson. Just because Duane Brown isn't a Joe Thomas or Ryan Clady super elite left tackle in the NFL doesn't mean he isn't doing is job. We have our two tackles for the future. Our tackle combination is top 10 in the league and neither is older than 27 years of age. When Duane Brown wasn't trying to be a hero and play on a bum knee he played like a Kubiak style left tackle should play.
Old 04-17-2010   #14
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the Rashad Butler re-signing but not Chris White, his position on the team needs to be upgraded. Also if this is the Texans idea of improving the team through FA then it's no wonder we continue to fail as an organization. With 5 positional holes on the team, (CB, RB, OG/C, FS, and DT) it sure would have been nice if we had filled at least one of those positions in FA. Not all of those positions are going to be filled in the draft and will be holes/needs in next years draft as well.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010   #15
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30803 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I would not mind seeing Eric moved to RG and then draft a new RT I think that'd be a better fit for Winston.
Old 04-17-2010   #16
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I know it's not a popular opinion, but if we're going to replace either tackle, I think it would be Winston. I think there is an extremely large amount of improvement to be had on the right side of the line.

I also don't think White will make the team.

I agree with both of your thoughts but would add that there's a large amount of improvement needed at every O-line position.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010   #17
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30803 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I think the O line will be much improved next season but that is JMO.
Old 04-17-2010   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 145454 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I like the Rashad Butler re-signing but not Chris White, his position on the team needs to be upgraded.
Just because a guy's position needs to be upgraded doesn't mean you don't sign the guy. We need camp bodies and we need depth. Even if we upgrade his position, that doesn't mean he'll be let go but with this contract, we've got someone for TC.

And I don't think anyone, including the Texans' FO, considers this as upgrading through FA. I don't think the Texans' FO strategy includes trying very hard to upgrade through FA.

And you don't have to plug all your holes to be a great team.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010   #19
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4378 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

I have a hard time believing Butler wasn't one of our 5 best OL after the two starting guards went down. For a coaching staff that puts such a premium on versatility you would think they would've had a backup plan that involved moving one of the starting OTs into guard and getting Butler in the game if we were hit with injuries on the interior OL like what occured.

I honestly believe if Butler was in the lineup after Brisiel went down our OL would've been good enough to get one more win out of our schedule and into the playoffs.
Old 04-17-2010   #20
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 61262 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
I have a hard time believing Butler wasn't one of our 5 best OL after the two starting guards went down. For a coaching staff that puts such a premium on versatility you would think they would've had a backup plan that involved moving one of the starting OTs into guard and getting Butler in the game if we were hit with injuries on the interior OL like what occured.

I honestly believe if Butler was in the lineup after Brisiel went down our OL would've been good enough to get one more win out of our schedule and into the playoffs.
If anything you maybe should question Butler's ability to play guard versus the starters. Generally, the back-up player needs to be the one who can play all over the place not the starters.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read