Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 04-15-2010   #21
Drew_Smoke
@Drew_Smoke

Section: 117 FF
Rep Power: 611 Drew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who is interested in a football clinic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZ View Post
I will see what I can do.
My daughter took ASL as her foreign language. We should make her do it. I have a buddy who is deaf and he says she is pretty good at it.
Drew_Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010   #22
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Hoover View Post
My daughter took ASL as her foreign language. We should make her do it. I have a buddy who is deaf and he says she is pretty good at it.
I'm not a customer looking for a bandaid. If I have to pay money for this event, I'm looking to get my money's worth. Give me a trained interpreter. My ma signs pretty good but I'll be damned if she interpretes for me. Do not underestimate the awesome skill it takes to be an interpreter. Especially for such an event like this where I'm seeking and striving for some serious football information. If this was a charity event, then offer up your daughter but until then I remain steadfast on the interpreting issue. It'll only cost you folks pennies extra on your admission tickets. No offense to your daughter who I believe is perfectly capable of signing. I want a certified interpreter.
Old 04-16-2010   #23
Drew_Smoke
@Drew_Smoke

Section: 117 FF
Rep Power: 611 Drew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
I'm not a customer looking for a bandaid. If I have to pay money for this event, I'm looking to get my money's worth. Give me a trained interpreter. My ma signs pretty good but I'll be damned if she interpretes for me. Do not underestimate the awesome skill it takes to be an interpreter. Especially for such an event like this where I'm seeking and striving for some serious football information. If this was a charity event, then offer up your daughter but until then I remain steadfast on the interpreting issue. It'll only cost you folks pennies extra on your admission tickets. No offense to your daughter who I believe is perfectly capable of signing. I want a certified interpreter.
That's what my kid said after I showed her this....you need a certified one.
Drew_Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010   #24
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Hoover View Post
That's what my kid said after I showed her this....you need a certified one.
I still would love to meet your daughter. Do you bring her to games? Maybe we can hook up at blue crew one day. I'll introduce her to the rest of my family.
Old 04-16-2010   #25
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Where do I sign up?

Will there be alcohol?

Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010   #26
LZ
Veteran

Rep Power: 5396 LZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
In.

Is this something that can go on the resume?

I'm not sure how you would word it, but if I gave the clinic an official name, I suppose it could.
LZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010   #27
LZ
Veteran

Rep Power: 5396 LZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr2bKay View Post
This sounds like a good idea. I like what the Texans host for the ladies and i am sure that this will be much more detailed. I will send an email. I am also wondering about the price. I am hoping that sponsorshilp from corps will cut down on the price for the participants. I am sure many companies will support this.
Unfortunately, I won't be having anyone sponsor this. This will be an opportunity that isn't out there for fans right now so the cost will basically help to pay for venue and speakers. I can't even mention the team because I need to keep it under the radar. Needless to say, this info will include Q&As and demonstrations.
LZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-16-2010   #28
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

sign me up
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010   #29
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZ View Post
I'm not sure how you would word it, but if I gave the clinic an official name, I suppose it could.
How about Football 201 or 102?

Last edited by Hardcore Texan; 04-17-2010 at 10:54 AM.
Hardcore Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010   #30
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69969 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I love to meet your daughter. Do you bring her to games? Maybe we can hook up I'll introduce her to the rest of m....
Is that kind of like having an untrained interpreter? (I do interpreting for foreign languages (well used to)... and woah. Even Indonesian, which I spoke like it was my first language.. it was like woah... Hell just listening to a passage in either of my other languages, which I was never quite native proficiency in, is virtually impossible. On the fly translation is something to be admired. Especially when you are talking about actually interpretation instead of straight translation.. Then again that might be a little easier.. is sign language a word for word interpretation of spoken english?

/thread hijak

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010   #31
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
Is that kind of like having an untrained interpreter? (I do interpreting for foreign languages (well used to)... and woah. Even Indonesian, which I spoke like it was my first language.. it was like woah... Hell just listening to a passage in either of my other languages, which I was never quite native proficiency in, is virtually impossible. On the fly translation is something to be admired. Especially when you are talking about actually interpretation instead of straight translation.. Then again that might be a little easier.. is sign language a word for word interpretation of spoken english?

/thread hijak

Mike
ASL is the most difficult language to translate. Refer to this thread for a better explaination of the language. ASL is not broken English.

RID Level 5 ASL interpreters make upwards to $300-$500 per hour.

LZ, don't worry. A level 1 terp will be suitable for this event. I'd prefer a level 3 but they start to get expensive after that...
Old 04-16-2010   #32
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69969 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
ASL is the most difficult language to translate. Refer to this thread for a better explaination of the language. ASL is not broken English.

RID Level 5 ASL interpreters make upwards to $300-$500 per hour.

LZ, don't worry. A level 1 terp will be suitable for this event. I'd prefer a level 3 but they start to get expensive after that...
I wasn't suggesting it was broken english.. I was making a joke about someone who is unable to keep up. For example, while Indonesian isn't exactly word for word... you could literally look up words in a dictionary and you'd be missing thing like articles and your tenses would be defined outside of the words... but basically your sentence structure is the same. Take Korean for example though, it is a subject object verb language... as opposed to English which is a Subject verb Object language. The different order of the sentence makes it impossible for someone to interpret or you wind up with a sentence like "The book owning man for the purpose of sales mall shop rent while being in the past".

I was not making light of the situation nor was I thinking it was easier because it is more elementary. I was just thinking that the fact that the translator, the speaker and the beneficiary of the interpretation all benefit from the same thought process and sentence structure. I have a genuine interest in linguistics.

Its probably a discussion for a different thread honestly and I am interested in learning more about it if you have patience for my questions.

mike

Old 04-16-2010   #33
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:
I wasn't suggesting it was broken english.. I was making a joke about someone who is unable to keep up. For example, while Indonesian isn't exactly word for word... you could literally look up words in a dictionary and you'd be missing thing like articles and your tenses would be defined outside of the words... but basically your sentence structure is the same. Take Korean for example though, it is a subject object verb language... as opposed to English which is a Subject verb Object language. The different order of the sentence makes it impossible for someone to interpret or you wind up with a sentence like "The book owning man for the purpose of sales mall shop rent while being in the past".

I was not making light of the situation nor was I thinking it was easier because it is more elementary. I was just thinking that the fact that the translator, the speaker and the beneficiary of the interpretation all benefit from the same thought process and sentence structure. I have a genuine interest in linguistics.

Its probably a discussion for a different thread honestly and I am interested in learning more about it if you have patience for my questions.

mike
I didn't think you were making light of anything.

Create a thread. I'm game.
Old 04-16-2010   #34
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I can read, write, and speak Spanish pretty well and it's not a word for word interpretation, I don't think that any translation works that way, it makes more sense to translate ideas or the overall meaning or as you said you end up with a sentence that doesn't make sens, but when you start getting real technical and detailed it's very challenging. That type of translating is much more difficult.
Old 04-16-2010   #35
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
I can read, write, and speak Spanish pretty well and it's not a word for word interpretation, I don't think that any translation works that way, it makes more sense to translate ideas or the overall meaning or as you said you end up with a sentence that doesn't make sens, but when you start getting real technical and detailed it's very challenging. That type of translating is much more difficult.
Can a mod please split this thread into a new one titled... The Linguistics of ASL.

Let me put it this way...

Watching an interpreter is like ordering a watered-down vodka from a bar. Lost in translation is something that I mutter to myself at times. One must stop relying on an interpreter to truly understand the language of ASL, this applies for both the Deaf and hearing.

The problem with most individuals is that it's assumed there is an actual English word for a handsign. That simply isn't true. In fact, over 60% of ASL come from FSL (french sign language). Yes, this means I can go to France and start chatting away with another French Deaf person.
Old 04-16-2010   #36
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

I totally understand what you mean. Heck, half the time we have trouble understanding each other within the same "language" we are speaking/typing. And even non-verbal communication is important. I can tell what my wife is thinking just by body language.
Old 04-16-2010   #37
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
I agree totally. I speak German too (though not nearly as fluently... definitely obvious that I'm not operating in my native tongue) and it is by far the easiest to interpret, even though Indonesian is the easier language to speak. Indonesian a very young language though (there isn't a native word for sink, for example, but the common use is "I went to the place to wash my (hands/dishes/etc)". Their sentence structure.. and with the heavy dutch influence in Indonesia for so long, the city dwellers (and most who speak the official language) have a rather western mentality... compare that with the mentality of the Koreans and the cultural difference show through. For example compare the following sentences.

I'm going to go to my friends house:

Saya mau pergi ke rumah teman saya.
I (want to/plan to/will) go to house friend I/my.

Na-Jung-eh ching-gu(eh) chib-eh-sa ka-go-ship-smnida
Later friend (possessing) house (go)(to-show-desire)(formal ending)

Ok no more linguistics in this thread... I'll hit you up later about ASL man.. swamped right now with vbulletin.

Mike

Old 04-16-2010   #38
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:

mike
Might as well answer...

Sure we've got structure to our language but I'd like for you to find me a written ASL dictionary. I envision it to tone for the hearing people. Especially for puns in the hearing world. There is no such thing. ASL is art and art can only by defined by the person looking at it.

I equate it to tone for the hearing. You play with the tone of words. Pitch and whatnot. We play with our own intonations which are physical. You must hear to understand tone. You must understand ASL to understand our own intonations. Translating that takes away from the story being told. You have to know ASL to enjoy and understand the message.

If it were as simple as referring to ASL as relying on specific English words... take football for example. I can point to my foot while holding my crotch and Deaf people would understand that I'm trying to say football as well as laugh their asses off. An interpreter doesn't exactly see it that way... in fact, they'd probably be offended. You can't translate that. The meaning gets lost and then there becomes no point to what's being told.

Translating ASL is not simply switching back and forth from SVO to OSV. You must consider handshape, hand location, motion of the hand, facial expression before you can even fathom switching from the SVO and OSV agreements.

ASL is truly an artform. People always feel bad for me because I can't hear music. Pshaw. I feel bad for hearing people that they cannot understand the beauty that is ASL. It takes my breath away watching ABC stories. I might suggest you trying out some youtube ABC storytime. To an interpreter... they're saying A. B. C. D. E. F. How do you translate that? You can't. Period.
Old 04-17-2010   #39
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow this is a great idea LZ. Wish I was in Houston.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010   #40
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm in!!! Great idea Lance! Hope you can pull it off!!
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read