Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-13-2010   #1
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default McCluster in the second...

Just watching ESPN, McShay just said the Texans could take him in the second round.

Everyone seems to have him down as a WR, thoughts as to whether McCluster is a possibility or is this just another ESPN brain fart?

Just wanted to clarify, he was speaking of us taking him as a RB.

Last edited by kiwitexansfan; 04-13-2010 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Clarification.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010   #2
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: McCluster in the second...

I wouldn't mind a guy like him in the 3-4 range. He is a pretty dynamic weapon. Slot/RB/KR. Sign me up in the 3rd, could see second if we get another 2nd via trade down.
Old 04-13-2010   #3
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 49476 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Just watching ESPN, McShay just said the Texans could take him in the second round.

Everyone seems to have him down as a WR, thoughts as to whether McCluster is a possibility or is this just another ESPN brain fart?

Just wanted to clarify, he was speaking of us taking him as a RB.
I selected him top of the 3rd (Tampa Bay) as slot WR/special teams player, adds value & extra dimension as situational 3rd down back.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010   #4
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I've never seen him play, could he be a 20 carry a game back?

I've heard he has decent inside power.
Old 04-13-2010   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I selected him top of the 3rd (Tampa Bay) as slot WR/special teams player, adds value & extra dimension as situational 3rd down back.
Agreed, but prefer Holliday later for Texans.
Old 04-13-2010   #6
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

One of my favorite players in the draft, I would love to have him on the team. He's the kind of guy that plays his heart out, is very coachable, will do anything the coach asks of him, wants to be the best he can be, is a great guy off the field and won't get in trouble.

I like him lined up as a RB getting hand offs or receiving the ball out of the backfield. I also like him lined up like a slot WR on slant routes or catching screen passes. The trick with him is to get him the ball in space and then let him follow blocks and make people miss.

His biggest (only) weakness is his size. He's small. Sure there are and were successful RB's but he's not built like them. He's got a small frame and he's not going to bulk up. He's not going to be a 15-20 carry a game type. That doesn't mean he doesn't have a place in the NFL though, you just don't use him like a normal RB... you play to his strengths, and he's got that out the wazoo. The Defense will have to account for him on each play. He may not get 15-20 "carries" a game, but he's going to get plenty of snaps and should get a combo of carries/receptions.

For Dexter on this team, he would be a RB/WR/ST guy. He would get carries as a RB and the majority of his receptions would have to be at the expense of David Anderson, IMO. Also, with his selection in the 2nd, I would still need to see us draft a RB somewhere in the draft. Slaton, Foster and McCluster isn't enough for me... we need that short yardage / goal line back.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010   #7
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

For highlights, check out the links at the bottom of the first post. The first one doesn't work anymore but it's his career game he had against Eric Berry and Tennessee this year. Single handedly won games for Ole Miss, he was our offense.
Quote:
vs. Tennessee (11/14): Posted school records of 282 rushing yards (on 25 carries) and 324 all-purpose yards ... It also marked the most rushing yards ever surrendered by Tennessee ... Four rushing TDs tied four others for the second-most in school history ... Also caught four passes for 42 yards ... Named National Player of the Week (AT&T, Walter Camp Football Foundation - Offensive) and SEC Offensive Player of the Week
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...ghlight=dexter
Sponsored links
Old 04-13-2010   #8
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
For highlights, check out the links at the bottom of the first post. The first one doesn't work anymore but it's his career game he had against Eric Berry and Tennessee this year. Single handedly won games for Ole Miss, he was our offense.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...ghlight=dexter
I thought Snead was your offense. LOL
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010   #9
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Give me a break... this guy couldnt block a blitzing corner if his life depended on it. He might go in the 2nd to a team that needs another offensive weapon, but the Texans taking him in the 2nd would be a bad move in my book. He should be a 3rd round pick.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010   #10
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I thought Snead was your offense. LOL
This is pretty much how it went:

Handoff to McCluster, gain of 5 yards.
Direct snap to McCluster ("Wild Rebel"), gain of 30 yards.
Quick pass to McCluster, gain of 12 yards.
Playaction, Snead passes the ball. ........ interception.
Old 04-13-2010   #11
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

To the right team, McCluster is a weapon. Which is why I've been surprised at how far he's fallen in our mocks.

However, you have to be very careful and you've got to be very creative with this guy. He's like Reggie Bush on anti-steroids. He's not for everyone. And he's definitely not for the Texans in the first 4 rounds... and he should be gone by the 3rd, I think.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010   #12
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Give me a break... this guy couldnt block a blitzing corner if his life depended on it.
I don't know about that. He's a really physical player and isn't afraid to throw his body on the line (meet Chad Jones). Now, if you talking about a consistent pass protector taking on LB's and the occasional S or DT/DE? Then no, I wouldn't feel comfortable with that. But on the rare occasion of a CB blitz, I think he's quick enough to pick it up and willing to. I'm sure it will take some coaching as it will with all the rookies.
Old 04-13-2010   #13
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Give me a break... this guy couldnt block a blitzing corner if his life depended on it. He might go in the 2nd to a team that needs another offensive weapon, but the Texans taking him in the 2nd would be a bad move in my book. He should be a 3rd round pick.
Agreed.

No offense whatso ever to kiwi, but I'd rather listen to a Grandma's wet farts over a loud speaker for several hours straight before I listen to anything, and I mean anything, that spews from McShat's face.
Old 04-13-2010   #14
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Agreed.

No offense whatso ever to kiwi, but I'd rather listen to a Grandma's wet farts over a loud speaker for several hours straight before I listen to anything, and I mean anything, that spews from McShat's face.
No offense just reporting what I hear, it's interesting to see what is out there.

And this is pretty out there.
Old 04-13-2010   #15
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

He sounds like more of a luxury pick because he won't satisfy any of our glaring needs. It would be a bad pick IMO. We already have a third down back with the ability to make people miss, we need someone who can carry a load night in and night out.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010   #16
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is pretty much how it went:

Handoff to McCluster, gain of 5 yards.
Direct snap to McCluster ("Wild Rebel"), gain of 30 yards.
Quick pass to McCluster, gain of 12 yards.
Playaction, Snead passes the ball. ........ interception.
That what I saw as well.

I cant believe Snead regressed as badly as he did. He looked like a true freshman starting for the 1st time at times last year.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010   #17
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't know about that. He's a really physical player and isn't afraid to throw his body on the line (meet Chad Jones). Now, if you talking about a consistent pass protector taking on LB's and the occasional S or DT/DE? Then no, I wouldn't feel comfortable with that. But on the rare occasion of a CB blitz, I think he's quick enough to pick it up and willing to. I'm sure it will take some coaching as it will with all the rookies.
So he blind sided a guy... big whoop. I am sorry to pile on here, but I dont think McCluster can block a guy who knows a block is coming.

I would prefer the Texans to not draft this guy. There are too many holes for a player with such a high chance of washing out of the league.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010   #18
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

olemiss, how do you see that brother of Jerry?
Can he play G for the Texans?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010   #19
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
So he blind sided a guy... big whoop. I am sorry to pile on here, but I dont think McCluster can block a guy who knows a block is coming.

I would prefer the Texans to not draft this guy. There are too many holes for a player with such a high chance of washing out of the league.
Not wanting to draft him isn't a problem, I understand we've got other areas of need. But that block was just one example of how he's not afraid to be physical. Sure he 'blind sided' (no pun intended, eh?) the guy but Chad Jones, also in this draft is like 6'2 220lbs. A common misconception about McCluster is that he's frail... he stayed in a blocked a lot more than one would think and moreso than a lot of RBs in this draft.

Again, I'm not advocating he's an everydown back that stays in and consistently blocks for Schaub. I just don't see how you think he can't block the occasional CB any better than the other RBs in the draft. But then again I guess the important thing is a players weight in that department......
Old 04-13-2010   #20
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

If we draft him in the 2nd round , it would be like ordering a cluster f $%^ck from McDonalds .

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read