Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2010   #1
Blake
MMQB
 
Blake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Spring
Section: 551
Posts: 10,788
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Exclamation Super Mario Final Mock

This will be my last one before the draft.


1.) Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State

2.) Morgan Burnett, FS, Georgia Tech

3.) Jonathan Dwyer, RB, Georgia Tech

4.) Arthur Jones, DT, Syracuse

5.) Jason Fox, T, Miami FL

6.) LaGarrette Blount, RB, Oregon

6.) Ben Burney, CB, Colorado

7.) Sean Canfield, QB, Oregon State

My primary focus was getting help in the secondary to replace Dunta Robinson, and upgrade or backup Eugene Wilson in the FS position. Kyle Wilson is one of the best in the draft and will help ease the loss of our #1 CB. Morgan Burnett has the size to play either safety postion, but his ballhawking skills project him at FS. If he cant beat out Wilson this year he will back him up in case he gets injured so we dont have to start a scrub in that spot like last year. After that I wanted a runner to pair with Slaton, and then work on the trenches with Jones and Fox who is a former TE like Eric Winston. In the later rounds I took another RB with some size to be aother bruiser, and a blazing fast CB for special teams as a gunner. Then as a luxery pick I took Canfield who has prototypical size for a QB who will need some coaching up from Kubiak just to make the practice squad.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #2
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame
 
Wolf6151's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pearland, Texas
Posts: 3,325
Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Super Mario Final Mock

I really like your first 3 picks, good ones.
I'm not familiar with Arthur Jones so I'll have to trust you on him.
Jason Fox makes me nervous, didn't he have knee surgery late last year?
I like Blount but question if he'll fall to the 6th round, I see him more as a 4th round pick. His character issues were 8 months ago and people will now be looking at his considerable talent. Great pick if he's there in the 6th but doubtful.
I've never heard of Ben Burney. Any good? I like the idea of an extra CB.
I considered Canfield for my mock as well and almost chose him but read better reports about Zac Robinson. Canfield should go on the practice squad and learn. Good pick.

The only thing I don't like about your draft is that there's no interior O-line help and we need help there bad. Pitts is gone ,Studdard is not an NFL quality starter, and Smith is an 8 year journeyman backup. Who's starting at LG?
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #3
Blake
MMQB
 
Blake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Spring
Section: 551
Posts: 10,788
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Super Mario Final Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I've never heard of Ben Burney. Any good? I like the idea of an extra CB.
I considered Canfield for my mock as well and almost chose him but read better reports about Zac Robinson. Canfield should go on the practice squad and learn. Good pick.
A little info on Burney.

03/13/2010 - PRO DAY RESULTS: University of Colorado cornerback Ben Burney may have boosted his chances of securing gainful employment after graduation, clocking 4.38 seconds in the 40-yard dash at the school's pro day. Burney, who did not participate in the NFL Scouting Combine, was impressive in all of the skills and his performance elevated him from a free agent to a low draft choice. Scouts from seven NFL teams watched Burney and 11 other Colorado players work out indoors on FieldTurf on Wednesday, after they were treated to a magnificent rocky mountain lunch. Burney (5-foot-10 5/8, 202 pounds) ran 4.38 and 4.45 in the 40, had a 39-inch vertical leap, 10-foot, 1-inch broad jump, 4.15 short shuttle, 6.71 three-cone drill and 16 reps in the bench press. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #4
Blake
MMQB
 
Blake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Spring
Section: 551
Posts: 10,788
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Super Mario Final Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
The only thing I don't like about your draft is that there's no interior O-line help and we need help there bad. Pitts is gone ,Studdard is not an NFL quality starter, and Smith is an 8 year journeyman backup. Who's starting at LG?
Caldwell?
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #5
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame
 
Wolf6151's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pearland, Texas
Posts: 3,325
Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Super Mario Final Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
A little info on Burney.

03/13/2010 - PRO DAY RESULTS: University of Colorado cornerback Ben Burney may have boosted his chances of securing gainful employment after graduation, clocking 4.38 seconds in the 40-yard dash at the school's pro day. Burney, who did not participate in the NFL Scouting Combine, was impressive in all of the skills and his performance elevated him from a free agent to a low draft choice. Scouts from seven NFL teams watched Burney and 11 other Colorado players work out indoors on FieldTurf on Wednesday, after they were treated to a magnificent rocky mountain lunch. Burney (5-foot-10 5/8, 202 pounds) ran 4.38 and 4.45 in the 40, had a 39-inch vertical leap, 10-foot, 1-inch broad jump, 4.15 short shuttle, 6.71 three-cone drill and 16 reps in the bench press. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com

Great measurables, he'd be worth a late round pick. He might go on the practice squad to learn for a year but it's a low risk pick.

I had Caldwell pegged for the RG starting position, where he started late last year. Brisiel had a pretty serious injury and wasn't that great anyway, his spot needed upgrading before his injury.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #6
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro
 
V3rm0nt3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Springfield MA for the next 4 years
Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Age: 29
Posts: 597
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Super Mario Final Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
This will be my last one before the draft.


1.) Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State

2.) Morgan Burnett, FS, Georgia Tech

3.) Jonathan Dwyer, RB, Georgia Tech

4.) Arthur Jones, DT, Syracuse

5.) Jason Fox, T, Miami FL

6.) LaGarrette Blount, RB, Oregon

6.) Ben Burney, CB, Colorado

7.) Sean Canfield, QB, Oregon State

My primary focus was getting help in the secondary to replace Dunta Robinson, and upgrade or backup Eugene Wilson in the FS position. Kyle Wilson is one of the best in the draft and will help ease the loss of our #1 CB. Morgan Burnett has the size to play either safety postion, but his ballhawking skills project him at FS. If he cant beat out Wilson this year he will back him up in case he gets injured so we dont have to start a scrub in that spot like last year. After that I wanted a runner to pair with Slaton, and then work on the trenches with Jones and Fox who is a former TE like Eric Winston. In the later rounds I took another RB with some size to be aother bruiser, and a blazing fast CB for special teams as a gunner. Then as a luxery pick I took Canfield who has prototypical size for a QB who will need some coaching up from Kubiak just to make the practice squad.
I like most of this draft and would be absolutely estatic if Smithiak were able to come away with it. However I would like to scrutinize the Blount pick. We all know he's got size speed and talent but Bob doesn't deal with questionable character as seen in this interview that i actually found in the main forum.

Take this with a grain of salt as I could be wrong. I was last year for scrutinizing Awtysst's mock for taking 2 of the same position and pointing out that Kubiak hasn't drafted 2 of the same position (2006 he drafted tackles for both sides of the O-Line but that doesn't count) and yet we gained 2 TE's and 2 CB's from the 09 draft so what do I know?
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #7
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame
 
Jackie Chiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Houston
Age: 31
Posts: 1,864
Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Super Mario Final Mock

The first four picks of this draft would be an absolute dream. I'm worried about their availability though. Wilson could likely be ours if we decide to go that route in the first. Burnett has a high chance of getting scooped up in the 2nd before our pick. Dwyer could easily go late 2 early 3. Jones might fall to the 4th but similar to Dwyer I think hes more likely late 3 early 4. Its a deep draft though so its not completely out of the question that these guys could drop a little. I would be ecstatic. Don't really know enough about the later round guys to comment but I don't really understand why everyone wants Blount.
__________________
"If the bra don't fit, you must acquit"
Jackie Chiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-14-2010   #8
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 23,203
Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Super Mario Final Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Great measurables, he'd be worth a late round pick. He might go on the practice squad to learn for a year but it's a low risk pick.

I had Caldwell pegged for the RG starting position, where he started late last year. Brisiel had a pretty serious injury and wasn't that great anyway, his spot needed upgrading before his injury.
Caldwell should be th RG and new FA Smith the LG if he beats out Studdard.
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor
 
beerlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 12,397
Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Super Mario Final Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
This will be my last one before the draft.


1.) Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State

2.) Morgan Burnett, FS, Georgia Tech

3.) Jonathan Dwyer, RB, Georgia Tech

4.) Arthur Jones, DT, Syracuse

5.) Jason Fox, T, Miami FL

6.) LaGarrette Blount, RB, Oregon

6.) Ben Burney, CB, Colorado

7.) Sean Canfield, QB, Oregon State
Wilson & Burnett woiuld give Texans one of the best young secondary's in the NFL.

Dwyer this late in 3rd would be surprising.

Taken a hard look & I'm just not comfortable with Jones injury history, reminds me of TJ.

Fox is a developmental pick, good idea but Texans can still find more impact in the 5th.

just say no to Blount, please!

taking another cb in 6th seems like a good idea, like Sam Shields better.

Also like taking a QB in 7th but Canfield is a lefty, with limited measureables & upside.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger