Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 04-14-2010   #41
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will future Texans games be played in "GenOn Stadium" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
I'm with you guys. Sports long ago sold it's soul to corporate America. I wish Reliant was called Texans Stadium, or Houston Stadium, or after someone or something famous here. There used to be a Hoffienz stadium right?

I truly envision the day where baseball fields will have ads right on the field, the uniforms themselves etc. Where each at bat will be brought to you by Budweiser. In football, instead of the Houston Texans it will be called the Budweiser Texans. The helmets and jerseys will have corporate logos all over them. Again, the field will be full of ads, even the refs might have logos or ads.

If you don't think this is possible, when I was growing up, all the corporate tie-ins we see now would be unthinkable. To me, it takes something sacred and it cheapens it.
Good post and I agree.

I think it will evolve to corporate own teams, as well. I can envision a future where teams are owned by multi-global corporations and make deals with cities that have the venue(s) for a 5/10/20 year contract. The FedEx Jaguars rolls into Toledo for a decade, then makes a deal with Wichita for 5 years, and so on. It'll be like the circus but multi-year deals instead of multi-weeks.

And yeah, every aspect will be sponsored, with uniforms looking like NASCAR drivers and fields covered with all sorts of logos and slogans.

I've been watching a lot of NFL Films from the 60's and 70's, and things have really changed in the culture of the NFL. I now see why many in the older generation turned away from the sport, and I hate to say it, but it could happen to us in 30 years, as well, when it evolves beyond the sport we grew up with.
Old 04-14-2010   #42
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Good post and I agree.

I think it will evolve to corporate own teams, as well. I can envision a future where teams are owned by multi-global corporations and make deals with cities that have the venue(s) for a 5/10/20 year contract. The FedEx Jaguars rolls into Toledo for a decade, then makes a deal with Wichita for 5 years, and so on. It'll be like the circus but multi-year deals instead of multi-weeks.
You know, just when I've finally accepted the fact that I'm cheering for laundry you go and throw this curveball at me.

Thanks, DB. Thanks for nuttin.
Old 04-15-2010   #43
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 172541 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Sounds too much like HeadOn.

GenOn stadium, apply directly to your forehead. GenOn!
umm never mind. Someone beat me to it
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010   #44
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 172541 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Get a designated driver and smuggle in a pint or so of good booze. No need to pay those crazy high prices.
I call Minute Maid the Juice Box, also. What could we nickname Reliant if some ********* changed it? GenOn field would be the G-Spot? I dunno...just throwing things out there...
If that got nickname got to be widespread the PC police would rename the place real quick.

G-spot...
widespread...
something says there's a NSFW joke in there someplace
Old 04-15-2010   #45
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 51708 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
umm never mind. Someone beat me to it
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
If that got nickname got to be widespread the PC police would rename the place real quick.

G-spot...
widespread...
something says there's a NSFW joke in there someplace
You're full of it tonight....
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010   #46
ObsiWan
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
I'm with you guys. Sports long ago sold it's soul to corporate America. I wish Reliant was called Texans Stadium, or Houston Stadium, or after someone or something famous here. There used to be a Hoffienz stadium right?

I truly envision the day where baseball fields will have ads right on the field, the uniforms themselves etc. Where each at bat will be brought to you by Budweiser. In football, instead of the Houston Texans it will be called the Budweiser Texans. The helmets and jerseys will have corporate logos all over them. Again, the field will be full of ads, even the refs might have logos or ads.

If you don't think this is possible, when I was growing up, all the corporate tie-ins we see now would be unthinkable. To me, it takes something sacred and it cheapens it.
Hofheinz Pavilion is the fieldhouse where U of H plays basketball. Named after Mary Hofheinz, wife of Judge Roy Hofheinz. Judge Roy was the driving force that got the Astrodome built. Without the 'Dome there'd be no MLB in Houston.
(some would argue there's still no MLB in Houston but that's a different discussion)
Old 04-15-2010   #47
ObsiWan
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos82 View Post
You're full of it tonight....
Not just tonight

you have no idea how much I have to censor myself at work

Sponsored links
Old 04-19-2010   #48
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 45478 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Selling stadium names only bothers me mildly. Selling every inch of display board in the stadium for ads instead of have more stats and scores is more irritating.
Couldn't agree more.

I can't stand that they run the scores around the league during the game, but when there's a timeout and you can take your eyes off the field to check out scores, they take it down to show a bunch of stupid ads.

And does all that stuff really work? I mean, you could name it Budweiser Stadium, make the stadium look like a giant Budweiser can and have nothing but Budweiser ads all over, on every seat in the stadium and it isn't going to make me go buy a Bud.

Miller Lite throwing their money at sponsoring the parking lots.....I see all kinds of beers out there that aren't Miller Lite. So how effective is that kind of marketing really?

Minute Maid Park, I can't recall EVER buying anything that's had the words Minute Maid on it. EVER!

Toyota Center doesn't have me wanting to go check out and buy Toyota's.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010   #49
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
Couldn't agree more.

I can't stand that they run the scores around the league during the game, but when there's a timeout and you can take your eyes off the field to check out scores, they take it down to show a bunch of stupid ads.

And does all that stuff really work? I mean, you could name it Budweiser Stadium, make the stadium look like a giant Budweiser can and have nothing but Budweiser ads all over, on every seat in the stadium and it isn't going to make me go buy a Bud.

Miller Lite throwing their money at sponsoring the parking lots.....I see all kinds of beers out there that aren't Miller Lite. So how effective is that kind of marketing really?

Minute Maid Park, I can't recall EVER buying anything that's had the words Minute Maid on it. EVER!

Toyota Center doesn't have me wanting to go check out and buy Toyota's.
If I were you, I'd probably stop and ask myself, "Self, if countless multinational companies, with executives much smarter and much richer than I could ever dream of being, find it advantageous to pour millions upon millions into marketing, is it really wise to question their effectiveness?"
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010   #50
ensign_lee
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 468 ensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
If I were you, I'd probably stop and ask myself, "Self, if countless multinational companies, with executives much smarter and much richer than I could ever dream of being, find it advantageous to pour millions upon millions into marketing, is it really wise to question their effectiveness?"
YES, because presumably, I'm their target audience.

...AND I'M SMARTER THAN THEM.

(although in all honesty, the reason that big corporations do this is so that way their name is prominent in your mind inc ase you do ever want to buy their product. "Oh, I think I'll have a beer. What kind of beer do I want? Maybe Coors?"
ensign_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010   #51
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Yes it is. Marketing departments are like bureaucracies - self-perpetuating organisms. You can't seriously tell me the 200 Miller Lite billboards around town do anything to make a Bud Light or Coors Light drinker all the sudden say ooh I think I'll have a Miller Lite.
Old 04-22-2010   #52
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Yes it is. Marketing departments are like bureaucracies - self-perpetuating organisms. You can't seriously tell me the 200 Miller Lite billboards around town do anything to make a Bud Light or Coors Light drinker all the sudden say ooh I think I'll have a Miller Lite.
I don't suppose that's the purpose of advertising, though I think it's disingenuous to say that doesn't happen. But, I think its main purpose is to create those loyalties.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010   #53
Drew_Smoke
@Drew_Smoke

Section: 117 FF
Rep Power: 611 Drew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respected

Are y'all talking about Texans Field? I never got that check or free juice to call it anything else.

And I really like the new Astrohall they built back there too.
Drew_Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read