Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 04-12-2010   #21
BIG TORO 
TERADACTYL #23

Section: Bull Pen!
Rep Power: 17946 BIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will future Texans games be played in "GenOn Stadium" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
OH NOES!

Sig Courtesy of False Start
BIG TORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010   #22
Big Lou
"NUK-LEAR"

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 19346 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Sounds too much like HeadOn.

GenOn stadium, apply directly to your forehead. GenOn!
Thats funny!!!!

Except its: GenOn apply directly to the forehead, GenOn apply directly to the forehead, GenOn apply directly to the forehead, GenOn apply directly to the forehead, GenOn apply directly to the forehead, available at local pharmacies.
Old 04-12-2010   #23
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87575 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
ATLANTA — Energy providers Mirant Corp. and RRI Energy Inc. said Sunday they are combining in a $1.61 billion stock-swap deal, renaming the company and creating a utility powerhouse that will become one of the nation's largest independent power producers.
The combined company, which will have a market capitalization of about $3.1 billion, will be called GenOn Energy.
http://www.ajc.com/business/mirant-r...ng-454225.html
Reports are the new combined company will be based in Houston.
Remember that old song? "Get it on, bang the gong, GenOn".
Old 04-12-2010   #24
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I hate company stadium names. I'll never not refer to the baseball field in Houston as "the Juice Box" as long as it remains Minute Maid. This is just one more step towards putting advertisements on uniforms and when they're done with that, the last possible place will be targeted. It's already all over stadiums, literally everywhere you look, commercials commercials commercials.....then the last place they can take will be taken and sold. The fields. Yeah, I'm sure I'm the crazy here.

It's not like ticket prices go down. It's not like beer gets cheaper. As a fan, you give something up and what do you get in return? Higher season tickets and next year probably adding a quarter to an already 8 dollar beer.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010   #25
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 155499 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
I hate company stadium names. I'll never not refer to the baseball field in Houston as "the Juice Box" as long as it remains Minute Maid. This is just one more step towards putting advertisements on uniforms and when they're done with that, the last possible place will be targeted. It's already all over stadiums, literally everywhere you look, commercials commercials commercials.....then the last place they can take will be taken and sold. The fields. Yeah, I'm sure I'm the crazy here.

It's not like ticket prices go down. It's not like beer gets cheaper. As a fan, you give something up and what do you get in return? Higher season tickets and next year probably adding a quarter to an already 8 dollar beer.
I got priced out a long time ago. I quit buying season tickets for the Oilers back in the late 80s. I can't imagine how expensive they are these days, and not sure I want to know either. Attending football games is fun, but not at the price you pay these days. Besides, sitting at home watching on HD with the bathroom only feet away, and nachos are a short trip to the microwave is the way to go. At my age, after a few beers, I have to make to many trips to the bathroom anyway and it sort of ruins the experience if I was at a stadium.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010   #26
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I detest corporate naming of stadiums. I understand the business of it, but as a fan, it is a distasteful side-effect of the corporate culture that has taken over the sports entertainment medium.

I still call the Lakewood Church building The Summit. I never took to calling it Compaq Center, and every time someone would try to correct me, I'd just hit the ignore button.
Old 04-12-2010   #27
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87575 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by feebleminded View Post
The Texas retail business was sold to NRG last year.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/s...02/daily2.html

This merger transaction between RRI and Mirant doesn't have anything to do the the retail business that we see here in Texas. It is basically a merger of two electricity generation businesses, neither of which have any significant presence in Texas.
That's what they want us to believe. I think it is a conspiracy to take away my refrigerator light so when I want to dip my oreo, I won't be able to find the milk.
Old 04-12-2010   #28
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I detest corporate naming of stadiums. I understand the business of it, but as a fan, it is a distasteful side-effect of the corporate culture that has taken over the sports entertainment medium.

I still call the Lakewood Church building The Summit. I never took to calling it Compaq Center, and every time someone would try to correct me, I'd just hit the ignore button.
it will always be The Summit to me. speaking of Lakewood, would it kill a brotha to have a m-f-in' cross up in this church? it is a church right? a christian church right? just sayin.

i dont know if i am at a church or a motivational seminar.
Old 04-12-2010   #29
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1291 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
GenOn sounds like some sort of wierd sexual term, or at the very least a dumb cyber word. I'm not going to like the stadium if it's named GenOn. That just grates on my nerves for some reason.

Hahaha! They should rename it GenOn GenOff Stadium!
Old 04-13-2010   #30
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I got priced out a long time ago. I quit buying season tickets for the Oilers back in the late 80s. I can't imagine how expensive they are these days, and not sure I want to know either. Attending football games is fun, but not at the price you pay these days. Besides, sitting at home watching on HD with the bathroom only feet away, and nachos are a short trip to the microwave is the way to go. At my age, after a few beers, I have to make to many trips to the bathroom anyway and it sort of ruins the experience if I was at a stadium.
I just think we as fans are a large wave about to break. How much longer can it only go up? I think the straw that broke the camels back, in hindsight, will be the new stadium in Dallas. Not that people will lose interest in sports, just that people will lose interest in paying for a jersey instead of eating for a week.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010   #31
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 224191 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

You want to see the whole system break down, don't let corporations buy tickets to sporting events. Individual ticket holders pay far more for their tickets with after tax dollars than the corporations sitting next to them.
Old 04-14-2010   #32
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post

Get a designated driver and smuggle in a pint or so of good booze. No need to pay those crazy high prices.
I call Minute Maid the Juice Box, also. What could we nickname Reliant if some ********* changed it? GenOn field would be the G-Spot? I dunno...just throwing things out there...
Old 04-14-2010   #33
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 15877 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Why not have a naming contest? Name it after a famous Houstonian perhaps or former Oilers?

Bruce Matthews Stadium, I dunno anything but GenOn (what a lame name for a NRG company)

What would end all debates is TexansTalk Stadium with special seating for TTalk members...badazz
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #34
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40369 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm with you guys. Sports long ago sold it's soul to corporate America. I wish Reliant was called Texans Stadium, or Houston Stadium, or after someone or something famous here. There used to be a Hoffienz stadium right?

I truly envision the day where baseball fields will have ads right on the field, the uniforms themselves etc. Where each at bat will be brought to you by Budweiser. In football, instead of the Houston Texans it will be called the Budweiser Texans. The helmets and jerseys will have corporate logos all over them. Again, the field will be full of ads, even the refs might have logos or ads.

If you don't think this is possible, when I was growing up, all the corporate tie-ins we see now would be unthinkable. To me, it takes something sacred and it cheapens it.
Old 04-14-2010   #35
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 87098 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Welcome to GenSpot Stadium.
Old 04-14-2010   #36
BIG TORO 
TERADACTYL #23

Section: Bull Pen!
Rep Power: 17946 BIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotexan2 View Post
I thought you were leaving?

Sig Courtesy of False Start
BIG TORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #37
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 87098 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG TORO View Post
I thought you were leaving?
in the office til fo den im out tha doe.
Old 04-14-2010   #38
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 224191 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Selling stadium names only bothers me mildly. Selling every inch of display board in the stadium for ads instead of have more stats and scores is more irritating.
Old 04-14-2010   #39
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotexan2 View Post
For short: "The G Spot"
Old 04-14-2010   #40
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3753 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

WGAS !! It's just a name !!
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read