Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 04-10-2010   #1
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Pro Bowl running back on the trading block

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...trading-block/

Quote:
Charles Robinson of Yahoo! Sports reports that an unnamed (for now) Pro Bowl running back is on the trading block.

Robinson (via Twitter) says that knows the name of the tailback and the teams involved. He says he'll reveal the player soon, that it won't be shocking, and that it's not Cowboys tailback Marion Barber.
The article lists all the pro bowl running backs from the past 3 seasons as well... and goes on to predict its either Lynch or McGahee

I'd be interested in Lynch but I wouldn't give up anything more than a 4th rounder and one of the two 6th rounders we have.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010   #2
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default Re: Pro Bowl running back on the trading block

Any chance at Deangelo Williams?
Old 04-10-2010   #3
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Marshawn Lynch is supposdly on the trading block because the new regime wants him out...and I don't want him, the guy has some serious issues.

Steven Jackson is also supposed to be on the trading block and it would suprise me if he was traded. Other then that I don't know who else would be available.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

There would be a little shock (at least from me) if any of those guys are on the block. Frank Gore?? REally??

If it turns out to be Clinton Portis.. would anyone be surprised?

I wouldn't.
Old 04-10-2010   #5
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

How things change in the rumor mill:

Cowboys | Could Barber be traded?

Mon, 29 Mar 2010 07:01:37 -0700

Charles Robinson, of Yahoo! Sports, reports via Twitter that there is speculation a former Pro Bowl running back could be traded to another team within his division before or during the NFL Draft. Dallas Cowboys RB Marion Barber III could be the back.

[the KFFL.com no longer works]
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010   #6
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Yet another reason why its a bad idea to take RBs high in the draft.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010   #7
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
Yet another reason why its a bad idea to take RBs high in the draft.
Pro bowl QB Jay Cutler was traded last year. Perhaps that's yet another reason why ts a bad idea to take QBs high in the draft?
Old 04-10-2010   #8
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
Marshawn Lynch is supposdly on the trading block because the new regime wants him out...and I don't want him, the guy has some serious issues.

Steven Jackson is also supposed to be on the trading block and it would suprise me if he was traded. Other then that I don't know who else would be available.
If Lynch comes at a cheap enough price I'd take a flyer, he still has young legs, can catch the football and is fully capable of being a 1st and 2nd down back. If we could get him for a 4th or 5th we wouldn't have to use our 1st or 2nd rounder on a running back anymore and we could address CB and DT. I know he doesn't fit the profile of a typical Texans player but this would be a great chance for him to rejuvenate his career and sometimes that opportunity is enough to force a player to mature.

The report says the player on the block isn't a surprise so that rules out Jackson. I'd be shocked if he was traded.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010   #9
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe it's Ronnie Brown.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010   #10
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Pro bowl QB Jay Cutler was traded last year. Perhaps that's yet another reason why ts a bad idea to take QBs high in the draft?
Ok, except we see probowl or a year or two removed running backs put on the trade block every year. Outside of Cutler, it is rare to see probowl QBs switch teams.

And secondly, I am a firm believer that you should have a solid line before you draft the QB. So, yeah unless you don't have that Oline, I think its a bad idea to take a QB.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010   #11
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The players listed that would surprise me if they were traded: Chris Johnson, Maurice Jones-Drew, Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson, DeAngelo Williams, Frank Gore & Michael Turner.

The players that wouldn't surprise me: Thomas Jones, Marshawn Lynch, Clinton Portis, Joseph Addai, Willis Mcgahee & Ronnie Brown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
Ok, except we see probowl or a year or two removed running backs put on the trade block every year. Outside of Cutler, it is rare to see probowl QBs switch teams.

And secondly, I am a firm believer that you should have a solid line before you draft the QB. So, yeah unless you don't have that Oline, I think its a bad idea to take a QB.
You almost never see a team draft multiple QB's early in the draft though. You see teams take a RB early a lot in the draft, which makes their former Pro-Bowl RB expendable. You see players like Barber & Williams (for example) become available in trades because their team drafted another RB early. You almost never see that happening at the QB position. The only time I remember it happening is SD with Brees/Rivers, and that was because they weren't sure about Brees at the time.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010   #12
Lucky

Rep Power: 163616 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
The players listed that would surprise me if they were traded: Chris Johnson, Maurice Jones-Drew, Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson, DeAngelo Williams, Frank Gore & Michael Turner.

The players that wouldn't surprise me: Thomas Jones, Marshawn Lynch, Clinton Portis, Joseph Addai, Willis Mcgahee & Ronnie Brown.
DeAngelo Williams is in the last year of his contract. Combined with the fact that Carolina has Jonathan Stewart as well, Williams could be available in trade. But, I doubt the Panthers would accept anything less than a 1st round pick. My guess is this is the Pro Bowl back the article is suggesting.

Thomas Jones was just signed by the Chiefs during the initial free agency period. Not sure why they would turn around and deal Jones at this point.
Old 04-10-2010   #13
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
DeAngelo Williams is in the last year of his contract. Combined with the fact that Carolina has Jonathan Stewart as well, Williams could be available in trade. But, I doubt the Panthers would accept anything less than a 1st round pick. My guess is this is the Pro Bowl back the article is suggesting.

Thomas Jones was just signed by the Chiefs during the initial free agency period. Not sure why they would turn around and deal Jones at this point.
I didn't realize that Williams was in the last year of his contract and I forgot that Jones left the Jets in the off-season.
Old 04-10-2010   #14
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post

That is a great way of breaking it down.

So if it isn't going to be "shocking," then it's from your list (minus Thomas Jones, because I agree with Lucky that he's staying in KC):

My thinking is that it might be Portis because Shanahan dealt him way back when in Denver. He did CRAP last year. And Shanahan isn't going to want to start his first year with the 'Skins by having that goofball Portis clowning every chance he gets. Portis is done. So it makes sense to trade him. Now.

Or, Mcgahee is an option because of how well Ray Rice performed last season. Granted, Mcgahee got a lot of looks near the goal line. But I have to wonder if he wants to be the guy who gets the majority of snaps elsewhere.

Also, I don't think it's Ronnie Brown. Although Ricky Williams had a somewhat "OK" comeback with the 'Fins, Ronnie Brown (in my opinion) is the better long-term back. The only way I see them trading Ronnie Brown is if they use the compensatory draft pick because they want more picks and they plan to take a running back in the first round to start building that position back up again. Dexter McCluster from Ole Miss would be a good wildcat running back--He is shifty, has burst, and is elusive.

I don't see Addai leaving the Colts. With Manning at QB, you don't need a super-stud for a RB. You need someone who knows the system and is reliable. Addai fits that description. He knows the system in-and-out, and I think the Colts keep him back there as long as they can. The key to that team's offense is Manning. If he stays, nothing else has to change much.

Lynch would be a no-brainer, as well. Except he has no value to me. He is in the same situation as Portis: A clown who talks a lot of game, but doesn't produce any of it on the field. All mouth, no heart. They've been sucked into the delusion that they can parade around with superstar antics and it will get them respected. And paid. I think a lot of people are onto those two guys by now. Terrell Owens started this crap long ago, and Chad Johnson followed his lead. Then came PacMan. Portis and Lynch do the same thing (clowning). Now, nobody wants Owens. He's bled people dry. Nobody wants PacMan for the same reasons. And I think it's foolish for any supposed superstar NFL player to go the T.O. route with the antics and shenanigans. If Lynch is traded, two things happen (1) The team that acquires him for anything higher than a 3rd rounder is stoopid, and (B) The team who acquires him is going to regret wasting the time and energy put forth to try and make something of Lynch.
Old 04-10-2010   #15
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
That is a great way of breaking it down.

So if it isn't going to be "shocking," then it's from your list (minus Thomas Jones, because I agree with Lucky that he's staying in KC):

My thinking is that it might be Portis because Shanahan dealt him way back when in Denver. He did CRAP last year. And Shanahan isn't going to want to start his first year with the 'Skins by having that goofball Portis clowning every chance he gets. Portis is done. So it makes sense to trade him. Now.

Or, Mcgahee is an option because of how well Ray Rice performed last season. Granted, Mcgahee got a lot of looks near the goal line. But I have to wonder if he wants to be the guy who gets the majority of snaps elsewhere.

Also, I don't think it's Ronnie Brown. Although Ricky Williams had a somewhat "OK" comeback with the 'Fins, Ronnie Brown (in my opinion) is the better long-term back. The only way I see them trading Ronnie Brown is if they use the compensatory draft pick because they want more picks and they plan to take a running back in the first round to start building that position back up again. Dexter McCluster from Ole Miss would be a good wildcat running back--He is shifty, has burst, and is elusive.

I don't see Addai leaving the Colts. With Manning at QB, you don't need a super-stud for a RB. You need someone who knows the system and is reliable. Addai fits that description. He knows the system in-and-out, and I think the Colts keep him back there as long as they can. The key to that team's offense is Manning. If he stays, nothing else has to change much.

Lynch would be a no-brainer, as well. Except he has no value to me. He is in the same situation as Portis: A clown who talks a lot of game, but doesn't produce any of it on the field. All mouth, no heart. They've been sucked into the delusion that they can parade around with superstar antics and it will get them respected. And paid. I think a lot of people are onto those two guys by now. Terrell Owens started this crap long ago, and Chad Johnson followed his lead. Then came PacMan. Portis and Lynch do the same thing (clowning). Now, nobody wants Owens. He's bled people dry. Nobody wants PacMan for the same reasons. And I think it's foolish for any supposed superstar NFL player to go the T.O. route with the antics and shenanigans. If Lynch is traded, two things happen (1) The team that acquires him for anything higher than a 3rd rounder is stoopid, and (B) The team who acquires him is going to regret wasting the time and energy put forth to try and make something of Lynch.
I agree with your assessment for the most part. Addai is on one of the worst rushing attacks in the NFL, and the Colts drafted Donald Brown last year. I wouldn't be shocked if the Colts decided to trade him since they have two first rounders on a poor rushing attack. Ronnie Brown has only rushed for 1,000 yards once back in 2006. He's 28 so it wouldn't shock me if the Dolphins decided to trade him. Those are the only reasons they were on the list. I could also see Williams being traded because of Stewart.
Old 04-10-2010   #16
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93152 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I would have 0% surprise if this is Lynch.

Everyone on the Bills message boards are talking about who they can get for him.
Old 04-10-2010   #17
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 11150 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

When given the chance, Addai can run though. Both Superbowls, no?
Old 04-11-2010   #18
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I do not think the Colts running attack or lack there of helps Addai's cause in Indy.
Old 04-12-2010   #19
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section516 View Post
When given the chance, Addai can run though. Both Superbowls, no?
I'm not saying Addai can't run the ball. I just wouldn't want two first round RB's if my team was close to last in rushing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
I do not think the Colts running attack or lack there of helps Addai's cause in Indy.
Exactly. Because of that I wouldn't be shocked if Addai was traded.
Old 04-12-2010   #20
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

If it was Steven Jackson and the Texans don't make a serious, serious push for him....I might just give up.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read