Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 04-09-2010   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Detroit Lions.... in hindsight?

Looking back on the season, do you believe Matthew Stafford should have been the #1 overall pick?

Did you believe that was the right pick for Detroit last year?

Do you believe they could have done better?

Remember, they had Kitna, who signed to be a backup in Dallas. I doubt it would have taken much to keep him as the starter in Detroit.

They also had Drew Stanton, they got him just two years earlier in the Second round.

They only won two games in 2009, how much worse could it have been, if they went with Kitna & Stanton for 2010?
Old 04-09-2010   #2
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Detroit Lions.... in hindsight?

I think he was the right pick for them.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #3
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that one year isn't enough time to say whether he was the right pick for them or not. I don't think that he made that much of a difference for them last year and that they probably should have waited a bit longer to get a QB (much like the Texans should have waited to get a QB and taken Peppers over Carr, or at the very least sat Carr and let Banks play a year or two) but if Stafford goes on to a HOF career then that goes out the window.

We'll just have to wait and see but I build other parts of my team before I grab a QB and the 2008 Lions were more or less starting from scratch IMO. QB isn't the last part I try to find (that's RB) but it's not the way I begin building a football team.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #4
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

so they might have won a game or 2 more with an old qb. so what? at least with a possible franchise qb they have hope. its a long rebuild in store for detroit. the early returns on stafford are decent
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #5
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3281 Kulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Stafford has the potential to be a great NFL QB provided Detroit builds around him. They are probably really tempted to take Suh with that #2 pick, but I think it would be better if they draft Okung to protect their franchise QB. They have made a ton of moves this offseason, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they managed to win 6-7 games this year.
Kulluminatii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
so they might have won a game or 2 more with an old qb. so what? at least with a possible franchise qb they have hope. its a long rebuild in store for detroit. the early returns on stafford are decent
So you think the Lions are on the right track? You think they've got a foundation in place to build upon?

For the record, I'm not saying they would have won any more games with another QB.
Old 04-09-2010   #7
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulluminatii View Post
I think Stafford has the potential to be a great NFL QB provided Detroit builds around him. They are probably really tempted to take Suh with that #2 pick, but I think it would be better if they draft Okung to protect their franchise QB. They have made a ton of moves this offseason, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they managed to win 6-7 games this year.
that is a really tough division up there in the NFC North. If Favre comes back for the Vikings, you are talking about a division where every team has their franchise QB. It's rare for a division to be that complete at the QB position.

If you want to talk about Detroit Lions hindsight, what about Charles Rogers over Andre Johnson. Let's just say that didn't work out too well for them. Probably the worst decision ever. I like Millen a lot, especially his time as a hall of fame caliber player, but he really screwed the pooch in Detroit as a GM.
Old 04-09-2010   #8
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3281 Kulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
that is a really tough division up there in the NFC North. If Favre comes back for the Vikings, you are talking about a division where every team has their franchise QB. It's rare for a division to be that complete at the QB position.

If you want to talk about Detroit Lions hindsight, what about Charles Rogers over Andre Johnson. Let's just say that didn't work out too well for them. Probably the worst decision ever. I like Millen a lot, especially his time as a hall of fame caliber player, but he really screwed the pooch in Detroit as a GM.
I doubt the Lions will win the division, but I do believe they will end up 3rd in the division, ahead of the Bears. Cutler has always been overrated (IMO), but maybe that is just my hate for the former Bronco showing .

I totally agree with you, Millen really set the Lions back a few years, a horrible choice for GM. Still, I believe the Lions will recover from the Millen era a lot quicker than people expect. They did really well in the draft last year, and I expect them to do even better in this year's draft. Give 'em three years, I'm sure they will be gunning for a wild card spot in that time .
Old 04-09-2010   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
They have made a ton of moves this offseason, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they managed to win 6-7 games this year.
What moves do you speak of?
Old 04-10-2010   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I've read the Lions want to trade out of the #2 pick just like they wanted to trade the #1 pick last year. Seems like an extended rough stretch for the poor guys, can't catch a break. I do know one thing for sure if they don't improve protection packages for Stafford they'll just keep on picking near the top awhile longer
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010   #11
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
What moves do you speak of?
DE Kyle Vanden Bosch
WR Nate Burleson
G Rob Sims
DT Corey Williams
LB Ashlee Palmer
CB Wade
CB Houston
QB Shaun Hill
DE Jason Hunter
LB Landon Johnson
S Marquand Manuel
CB Dante Wesley

are the ones I could find quickly from the Lions' website, probably missing one or two other players. I'm not saying the players above will help them reach the Superbowl or anything, hell, half of them may be cut before the season starts...but they are making progress. Who knows, they may find a few stars from the leftovers they picked up from other teams.
Old 04-10-2010   #12
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Rep Power: 1893 wagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respected

Of all the teams that won 5 or less games last year, I like the Lions the most to turn around. I think they are moving in the right direction and I won't be surprised if they approach .500 this year and make the playoffs in 2011.
wagonhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010   #13
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30074 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonhed View Post
Of all the teams that won 5 or less games last year, I like the Lions the most to turn around. I think they are moving in the right direction and I won't be surprised if they approach .500 this year and make the playoffs in 2011.
I wouldn't go THAT far.

I'm from that part of the world, and am rooting for them to turn it around. The fans up there deserve it. I, personally, wouldn't have chosen a qb because they need so many other things. But I'll say this: They sure as hell have the right coach.

I really, really, really like Jim Schwartz. A lot.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010   #14
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

Well, they would have had to get a QB eventually, and I think they lucked out with Stafford. He showed glimpses of greatness throughout the season, and if Sanchez and Stafford were switched, I could see the Jets doing better with him.

If they didn't get Stafford, then they would be choosing from this years' batch of QBs...who IMO don't look all that great. They probably would have had to wait an additional year for Locker & Mallet, and who knows how they will end up. Since they already have their franchise QB, they can now focus on building a team around him...which I believe is much easier than trying to build a team and then getting a franchise QB.
Old 04-10-2010   #15
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
So you think the Lions are on the right track? You think they've got a foundation in place to build upon?

For the record, I'm not saying they would have won any more games with another QB.
ya i think they're getting better and they've the opportunity to take a big jump because they have so many decent young guys- stafford, kevin smith, calvin, pettigrew,delmas, avril mixed with solid older guyslike KVB, foote backus & raiola. they have alotof holes still but they add another 2/3 starters at least in the draft including an elite guy like suh (i see them going DT- imo backus is a decent LT)

btw who would you have them take instead of stafford? last yrs top 10 has been a bit of a crapfest so far
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonhed View Post
What direction are they moving? Can you list any specifics?
Old 04-10-2010   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
They sure as hell have the right coach.

I really, really, really like Jim Schwartz. A lot.
What do you like about Schwartz? How is he different than Moeller, Mornhinweg, Mariucci, Jauron, or Marinelli, ?

I liked Jauron by the way.
Old 04-10-2010   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Well, they would have had to get a QB eventually, and I think they lucked out with Stafford. He showed glimpses of greatness throughout the season, and if Sanchez and Stafford were switched, I could see the Jets doing better with him.

If they didn't get Stafford, then they would be choosing from this years' batch of QBs...who IMO don't look all that great. .
I'll agree Stafford had some games that impressed me.

I don't watch college football, so all I ever get is the buzz. I don't believe there was any more buzz about Stafford last year, than there is about the QBs coming out this year.

Are you saying, based on what you saw of Stafford's college career, that he played at a whole other level than Bradford, McCoy, & Clausen.
Old 04-10-2010   #19
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not sold on Stafford managing an NFL offense just yet, they still have a lot to iron out on the offense.

I would love hindsight in this instance, but foresight will have to suffice.
Old 04-10-2010   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 383864 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
I would love hindsight in this instance, but foresight will have to suffice.
Foresight or hindsight says the girl in the middle is well built.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read