Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-09-2010   #1
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84
Default DeMeco Ryans to join Cushing in MMA training

Sounds to me like we may have the most physical core of linebackers in the NFL.
Now if Glazer can get #90 out there as well....that would be great.

Quote:
As we pointed out last month, Texans linebacker Brian Cushing has been spending part of the offseason pushing and hugging and sweating on the likes of Jay Glazer, Chuck Liddell, and Randy Couture.

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reports that one of Cushing's defensive teammates will be joining the effort.

Glazer says that Ryans, who recently signed a $48 million contract with $21 million guaranteed, is on his way. Glazer also has targeted a third Houston defender for the program.

"There's another Texan I'd love to get out here, Mario Williams," Glazer told McClain. "He's got as much talent as anybody in the NFL. He's so naturally gifted that I know this workout regime would help him. If Mario came here, he'd push himself to levels he doesn't know he has."

More and more players are turning to Glazer for offseason training. "We preach controlled violence," Glazer said. "There's a lot of hand fighting, chopping. If you know what you're doing, your forearms can be like blades. We teach where the nerves are, how you can chop somebody, find the nerve and hyperextend an elbow."

Why are we suddenly reminded of the scenes in The Longest Yard when the players learn about the potential benefits of plaster casts and brass knuckles?
LINK
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #2
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216706 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: DeMeco Ryans to joing Cushing in MMA training

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
Sounds to me like we may have the most physical core of linebackers in the NFL.
Now if Glazer can get #90 out there as well....that would be great.

LINK
We haven't been told anything of Mario's shoulder situation. Without a solid shoulder status, such training may not be effective......and, worse yet, potentially harmful. Besides that, I like the concept.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #3
BIG TORO 
TERADACTYL #23

Section: Bull Pen!
Rep Power: 17947 BIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder how many nfl players do this type of training, and with it being in Cincy I wonder how many of the bengals do it.

Sig Courtesy of False Start
BIG TORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #4
No More 8-8's
Veteran

Rep Power: 136 No More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respected

Meh.......DeMeco and Cushing are already good. I wouldnt mind if the Ringo Starr of our LB corps (Zac Diles) stepped up his game.
No More 8-8's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #5
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 74660 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by No More 8-8's View Post
Meh.......DeMeco and Cushing are already good. I wouldnt mind if the Ringo Starr of our LB corps (Zac Diles) stepped up his game.
you mean George Harrison of the LB corps, people actually know who Ringo is...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Crapatrick!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #6
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Awesome, I think this training translates so well for defensive football players. Particularly Mario at DE, this would be huge. Not only would he be better of not letting LT's get their hands on him, but when their hands/arms get 'slapped' out of the way it's going to hurt. Think about 4 quarters of a stronger more physical Mario Williams with higher stamina hitting you, your arm, etc out of the way. If nothing else happens, what this type of training does is refine your instincts and reaction time. Super good for the front 7!
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #7
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Remember when Cushing sacked a QB in the end zone? I can't remember who the QB was.

Cushing wrapped him up, then Cushing used a leg to reach around and sweep the QB's legs out from underneath him. It secured the QB to the point that he couldn't throw the ball. It nailed the door shut and got him the sack. With emphasis added onto it.

That was, essentially, a type of Judo throw you'll see guys use in MMA fights.

I have no doubt that it was his MMA training that led him to do that sort of move.
Old 04-09-2010   #8
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Remember when Cushing sacked a QB in the end zone? I can't remember who the QB was.
Fargas, RB Oakland.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #9
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 33937 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
you mean George Harrison of the LB corps, people actually know who Ringo is...

HEY!!!!

George made a couple of his own records, and sold a couple of hundred copies. You be nice!!!!!
Old 04-09-2010   #10
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 357040 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
Fargas, RB Oakland.
Yup - Link

Check out Schaub 10 yards down field blocking for SS. It's ugly but he was trying.
Old 04-09-2010   #11
Ckw

Default Re: DeMeco Ryans to join Cushing in MMA training

I am loving this. I might be getting ahead of myself, but Cushing just might be the best draft pick we have ever had if he continues to influence our guys in this direction. I can't see anything but good (except for injuries of course) coming from training like this. It can help our guys get quicker, stronger, and better able to beat the crap out of the opposing team. Say goodbye to the "finesse" label.
Old 04-09-2010   #12
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

I have no doubt that it was his MMA training that led him to do that sort of move.
I have no doubt that happened before he started MMA training this offseason. That was just a beast beasting it up.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #13
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Thank GAWD!! Maybe we'll finally see a mean steak that we have been lacking!! I hope PM is sitting in his ivory castle thinking "OH SHIT" I'm in bigtime trouble now!! Put the FEAR in every O we play this year!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #14
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 11151 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

You know something?

Imagine if Cushing ignites Mario with 1/2 of the intesity/passion/I AM A PSYCHO AND I AM HERE TO MAKE YOU FEEL PAIN attitude.
Old 04-09-2010   #15
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8759 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like it. MMA is all about cardio, flexability, toughness, footwork, and use of hands. I would also love to see Mario doo some.
Old 04-09-2010   #16
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Rep Power: 1893 wagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respected

Guys. Let's not get too carried away with this. There are benefits to doing lots of MMA work, but there are also downsides. We shouldn't be too quick to assume that this is some incredible workout that just blows away traditional workouts.

Here are some examples:

Leg strength is probably the biggest one. MMA training can potentially give you foot quickness, but at the cost of leg strength and power. How many MMA fighters have you seen with football player legs?

Cardio. The kind of cardio you get in MMA is not the same kind you use in football, necessarily. In wrestling, you're working a combination of fast and slow twitch fibers, and there is lots of creatine/aerobic phase muscle use. In football, it's almost completely fast twitch and ATP phase muscle use. So while MMA can certainly improve cardiovascular endurance specifically, the kind of muscle endurance it gives is not necessarily the kind football players want or need.

Upper body strength. MMA can definitely give you quickness and power in your arms, but that can come at the expense of strength. Especially for top-tier athletes like Cushing, Meco, Williams, you just can't gain a ton of quickness without losing strength. A lot of the upper body bulk and sheer force you need in the NFL, esp. at DE and MLB for powering through blocks or making tackles, is just extra unneeded bulk in MMA.

So those are just some things off the top of my head. I'm not saying this training is bad, by any means. I'm just saying we shouldn't be so quick to assume it is way better than any other training they could be doing, or that it doesn't have strong disadvantages as well as advantages.
wagonhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #17
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

In addition to his MMA training, Cushing trains with a PL oriented strength coach and has since HS. So he's going to be getting lots of leg strength training.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #18
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Re: Wagonhed

You've got some good points there. But the key is that they're not training to be MMA fighters so I doubt they're going through the full regimen a normal "trainee" would. They're football players that are training in certain MMA techniques that can be of use or beneficial to them on the field. They're not going to detract from any strengths they need to "fit" the MMA style just add/change in positive ways that helps on the field. That's at least my assumption/hope!
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #19
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by No More 8-8's View Post
He's been at the actual facility all offseason so I wouldn't worry about Zac
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #20
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 348851 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
I am loving this. I might be getting ahead of myself, but Cushing just might be the best draft pick we have ever had if he continues to influence our guys in this direction. I can't see anything but good (except for injuries of course) coming from training like this. It can help our guys get quicker, stronger, and better able to beat the crap out of the opposing team. Say goodbye to the "finesse" label.
I like your thinking, but Cush has a loooooong way to go if he's to take the 'best draft pick' title from AJ.

AJ is light years ahead of anyone else on this team.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read