Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 04-09-2010   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195074 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mary Jane Making the Rounds

Even for those that have the most liberal views of this substance, with established Combine rules, stupid is as stupid does. for at least 10 or 11 players who carry first-round draft grade.

Quote:
Teams tight lipped about positive drug tests from Scouting Combine

In recent years, the weeks before the draft have seen the emergence of multiple names of players who tested positive for marijuana and other substances at the Scouting Combine. Last year, two different publications identified erroneously several players as testing positive who, in reality, didn't. On other occasions in the recent past, names surfaced as to players who admitted to using marijuana in pre-draft interviews, including sessions at the Scouting Combine.

This year, apart from Don Banks' article citing a general spike in incoming players with marijuana red flags, there has been silence. Sure, we've heard a rumor that "a bunch" of players tested positive for marijuana at the Scouting Combine -- a sure sign of stupidity, addiction, or both, given that the players know they're going to be tested there. But teams aren't leaking names this year.

Yet.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #2
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mary Jane Making the Rounds

I had a thread about this under What I Like About This Years Draft and I pretty much stated that you aren't hearing about any dudes with these problems but now I can see why. Teams are staying on the hush about it.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #3
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Here I was thinking that my wife was Mary Jane Rottencrotch or something.

*phew*

Disclaimer: Her name is actually Mary Jane.
Old 04-09-2010   #4
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

How dumb can someone be??! Geeezzzzz!! Next there will be a push to legalize MJ in the NFL, for medicinal reasons. Maybe they better keep their eyes open on the Cali franchises, IF Cali legalizes MJ like they want too.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #5
Khari
Administrator

Section: Varies
Rep Power: 19418 Khari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respected

if this substance has no effect on you how come people can't stop using it when faced with a choice between it and millions of dollars
Old 04-09-2010   #6
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
Here I was thinking that my wife was Mary Jane Rottencrotch or something.

*phew*

Disclaimer: Her name is actually Mary Jane.
I now have a dot on my shirt from my coffee, Nitro. That caught me way off-guard.
Old 04-09-2010   #7
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 239970 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I'm all for the legalization of marijuana, for a variety of reasons. If you stand to make millions in the NFL if you give it up for a few years, you really are stupid to turn that down.

Of course, I don't see too many of these NFL players seeking Mensa membership.
Old 04-09-2010   #8
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I'm all for the legalization of marijuana, for a variety of reasons. If you stand to make millions in the NFL if you give it up for a few years, you really are stupid to turn that down.

Of course, I don't see too many of these NFL players seeking Mensa membership.
If employers don't want you smoking pot then I don't have a problem with that. It's their company. They can establish their own tolerance guidelines, same with some jobs not allowing alcoholics. Just as long as they don't discriminate. A positive test doesn't discriminate too much.

How does the NFL currently treat players with an actual legal medicinal marijuana license?

I do foresee some legal problems in regards to this somewhere down the road. Where is the line sensitively drawn? Going to be interesting learning about this as we go...

I'm rooting for California.
Old 04-09-2010   #9
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Rep Power: 258 Blazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Blazing Arrow

The people have to be completely stupid. To pass a pee test you have to have not smoked in the last maybe 2 weeks as long as you are not a daily user. So these guys can not hold off for 2 weeks when they have probably been told 5 million times when the test is going to happen and it could cost them millions??

RIP Steve ... you showed us what a warrior truly is.
Blazing Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #10
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Poor Percy Harvin,

he got popped on a test at the combie last year.

The Vikings spent all of last year trying to fid a drug to combat his migrane headache issues. He had the issues under control. (smoking MJ) But since MJ usage is against the NFL's drug testing policy he had to suffer all of last season. While the medical staff tried to come up with a solution for his headaches.

I never heard of Harvin having a problem with migranes at Fla. He knew how to keep them under control. (MJ)
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #11
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How does the NFL currently treat players with an actual legal medicinal marijuana license?
Well my thinking is that if they are legally allowed to use medicinal marijuana, it's because they have a medical condition. I suspect that medical condition has a lot of weight in a team's decision to sign that player. I also suspect a team might want to employ a "healthy" WR vs. a WR with a glaucoma and treating it with pot.

Just sayin'... injuries/diseases/medical issues are a huge factor in a teams' due diligence of whether they want to pay that person millions of dollars. Politics aside, marijuana use for medical reasons means they've got medical issues. No matter what medical issue is and what the treatment is... its a red flag.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #12
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazing Arrow View Post
The people have to be completely stupid. To pass a pee test you have to have not smoked in the last maybe 2 weeks as long as you are not a daily user. So these guys can not hold off for 2 weeks when they have probably been told 5 million times when the test is going to happen and it could cost them millions??
MJ can be detected in urine within 30 days of usage, daily user or not. Regardless, it's a dumb thing to do if you are serious about a career in the NFL.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #13
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Well my thinking is that if they are legally allowed to use medicinal marijuana, it's because they have a medical condition. I suspect that medical condition has a lot of weight in a team's decision to sign that player. I also suspect a team might want to employ a "healthy" WR vs. a WR with a glaucoma and treating it with pot.

Just sayin'... injuries/diseases/medical issues are a huge factor in a teams' due diligence of whether they want to pay that person millions of dollars. Politics aside, marijuana use for medical reasons means they've got medical issues. No matter what medical issue is and what the treatment is... its a red flag.
A leg that's been operated on qualifies for medicinal marijuana. That's about half of the NFL right there. What I'm getting at is that it's easier than one thinks to legally be a card carrying marijuana user. I even know somebody who had a bruised back. Whammo. Medicinal license.

Red flags aside, I think the NFL frowns on it as a whole legal or not.
Old 04-09-2010   #14
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
A leg that's been operated on qualifies for medicinal marijuana. That's about half of the NFL right there. What I'm getting at is that it's easier than one thinks to legally be a card carrying marijuana user. I even know somebody who had a bruised back. Whammo. Medicinal license.

Red flags aside, I think the NFL frowns on it as a whole legal or not.
You sure? If so I'm pissed. After all the surgeries I've had I could've gotten stoned to the bone instead of taking pain killers? Pain killers that made me feel like crap and almost making me crap myself while trying to force my self to pee?
Old 04-09-2010   #15
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
You sure? If so I'm pissed. After all the surgeries I've had I could've gotten stoned to the bone instead of taking pain killers? Pain killers that made me feel like crap and almost making me crap myself while trying to force my self to pee?
Pretty sure but I can't state that as a fact. You'll have to take a prequalification test. Google medicinal marijuana qualifications. I hate painkillers myself. Hate 'em.

All women qualify. PMS is a valid reason for licensing in CA and HI.
Old 04-09-2010   #16
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Rep Power: 258 Blazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Blazing Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
MJ can be detected in urine within 30 days of usage, daily user or not. Regardless, it's a dumb thing to do if you are serious about a career in the NFL.
Incorrect.

With proper clensing methods. Cranberry juice and water you can pass a test in a week. I know from personal experience. Well a friend of mine you know ...

RIP Steve ... you showed us what a warrior truly is.
Blazing Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #17
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazing Arrow View Post
Incorrect.

With proper clensing methods. Cranberry juice and water you can pass a test in a week. I know from personal experience. Well a friend of mine you know ...
I've smoked weed on my way to a drug test. There are "cleansers" on the market. Unless they snag a hair follicle. It can be detected there up to a year but they got shampoos for that as well. If they draw blood... you're effed.
Old 04-09-2010   #18
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Pretty sure but I can't state that as a fact. You'll have to take a prequalification test. Google medicinal marijuana qualifications. I hate painkillers myself. Hate 'em.

All women qualify. PMS is a valid reason for licensing in CA and HI.
Aw man, I thought I was the only one. Every time I hear of people taking pain killers just for the high I just think to myself, how the hell can they find enjoyment from that. Maybe it's the way my body reacts to them, I don't know.

IIRC, I was prescribed hydrocodone after the latest "clean out" of my shoulder and it sucked in a major way. I thought it'd be better than how vicodin and codeine made me feel. Boy, was I wrong, I quit after 1 dose and dealt with the pain.
Old 04-09-2010   #19
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 313912 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Substances in drug testing that may show a "False Positive" for marijuana:

Over-the-counter NSAIDS: lbuprofen; Advil, Nuprin, Mediprim, Motrin, Bayer Select Pain Relief Formula, Excedrin IB Caplets, Genpril, Haltran, lbuprin, Midol 200, Pamprin, Trendar Cramp Relief Formula, Cramp End Tablets, Medipren, Rufln, Naproxen, Aleve, Ketoprofen, Orudis KT. Prescription NSAIDS: Anaprox, Tolectin, ifenoprofen, flurbiprofen, oxaprozin, Ansaid, Clinoril, Dolobid, Feldene, Indocin, Lodine, Meclomen, Motrin, Nalfon, Naprosyn, Orudis, Relafen, Voltaren. Over-the-counter allergy preparations, sleep aids and antinausea medications that contain promethazine: Phenergan, Promethegan. Riboflavin (vitamin B2), Dronabinol, Edecrin.

Source
Just because they test positive, this does not mean that they were smoking weed.

Quote:
What is the detection period for Marijuana?

Marijuana is detectable in urine for 48-72 hours after single use. Habitual or chronic use can be detected in urine for up to 12 weeks depending on quantity, duration, and frequency of use.

Source
Quote:
How long does Marijuana stay in your System?

The most common period of time is anywhere from 3-30 days, depending on your metabolism and the amount of marijuana that you’ve smoked.

------------

Hair tests are even worse, since your body stores THC in the hair follicles. For this reason, the previous answers to “How long does marijuana stay in your system?” are only useful if you’re going to be forced to take a urine test. For the hair test, depending on the amount of hair that the company takes, it’s possible that marijuana could be detected up to three years after the last time that you smoke.

Source
Old 04-09-2010   #20
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Aw man, I thought I was the only one. Every time I hear of people taking pain killers just for the high I just think to myself, how the hell can they find enjoyment from that. Maybe it's the way my body reacts to them, I don't know.

IIRC, I was prescribed hydrocodone after the latest "clean out" of my shoulder and it sucked in a major way. I thought it'd be better than how vicodin and codeine made me feel. Boy, was I wrong, I quit after 1 dose and dealt with the pain.
That's the way to do it. You need to be able to feel pain to recover properly. I've had loads of surgery myself and am currently recoverying from a couple of surgeries.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read