Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-07-2010   #1
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool McClain says RB> O-Line

On 610 today a caller asked what McClain though about fixing the O-line, citing them as the reason we failed to get 1 yard several times last year.

McClain said nothing to fix, the O-Line was great in 08, injuries hurt them in 09. All we need is a good RB and we'll have a great running game.

Correct me if I am mistaken - Pitts was hurt and is now gone. Briesel was the other major injury.

So essentially McClain is implying (or I am inferring) if we put Briesel back and draft a 1st round running back, we'll have a great running game? And the fact our O-line got pushed back time after time last year goes away or is fixed....???
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010   #2
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13331 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: McClain says RB> O-Line

You just have to look at the two times we couldn't get the TD from the 1 and ask yourself who really did bad. I'm sorry but the OL wasn't pushing jack and we barely could get a 100 yard rusher. We did it only 3 times.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010   #3
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

McClain...'niff said, right?
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010   #4
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Haven't you learned by now? McClain has no more insight than 98% of the members of this board. He has no inside info from the Texans and his speculations and rumblings are clueless. Check his pre-draft quotes from last year.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010   #5
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29231 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

You've got to be kidding me? He actually said that?

I had a friend from out of town ramble to me right after the season, "You guys need a running back, that's all you guys really need, blah, blah, blah..."

I had to stop her mid-sentence. I said, "Look, sure, we need a running back. But anyone who takes a good look at this team will see that our running problems had a lot to do with our offensive line than it did with our running back."

I mean, come on. Anyone who says we don't have a problem with our O-Line is just DUMB.
houstonspartan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010   #6
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13331 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Perhaps Mclain is looking at it from a 1st round draft pick perspective. Then again that may be giving him too much credit.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010   #7
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

"good running back for a great running game". Does that even make sense? So he is saying that our O-line is so amazing that it can make good running backs look great? Did he watch a Texans game last year?
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-07-2010   #8
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I heard that this morning too. I think 2009 was a factor of both.

2008 - We had all 5 OL starters play the entire season together. That is incredible and the biggest reason why we rushed so well that year. The depth really had me worried worried though.

2009 - We lost our two starting guards. Myers was in the middle, now playing next to "decent" backup guards but difinitely not starting material guards at this point. That weakens all 3 interior spots and even weakens both tackles. This is set up for failure. Also this season, the RB's - Slaton in particular - underperformed. The combination of all this was terrible.

Now McClain just says "oh it was injuries to the OL, next year this probably won't happen". Well, we lose our starting LG Pitts and he was the one injured. Is Wade Smith going to take that spot and be just as good or better? Brisiel is coming off his injury, how is he going to come back? Plus it's not like he was a really great RG in the first place, it's not like we're getting a probowler back in the line up. Studdard/Caldwell got some playing time but is it enough experience and reps that they're comfortable and the best option at the G positions?

I think and hope our OL will be better than they were last year. FA Smith, I think, should be better than Studdard was last year or would have done better at RG than what we had last year. Pitts is gone. Will Brisiel play on the same level as he was pre-injury?

There's still just too many question marks for me to dismiss the OL. Not saying we need to take a guy in the 1st round but that's probably more of a declaration of what Guards would be available to us. I think the value in G will be 2nd -4th.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010   #9
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

He did say that he thinks a RB, CB, DT and OL will be selected with our first 4 picks and I totally agree with him. I also see another CB taken (maybe a CB/S tweener), maybe a true S, probably another OL and maybe another RB!
Old 04-07-2010   #10
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
He did say that he thinks a RB, CB, DT and OL will be selected with our first 4 picks and I totally agree with him. I also see another CB taken (maybe a CB/S tweener), maybe a true S, probably another OL and maybe another RB!
No offense OMT but he basically just rifled off the 4 main needs.

If McClain said it, it has holes. The guy's football knowledge is less than most people here. His chat online and his talks are basically a bunch of nothing.
Old 04-07-2010   #11
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
No offense OMT but he basically just rifled off the 4 main needs.

If McClain said it, it has holes. The guy's football knowledge is less than most people here. His chat online and his talks are basically a bunch of nothing.
LOL, I hear you on that. I just think we're going to see really good value at DT, CB and OL in the 2nd - 4th so BPA will probably match up with those needs. I really like the RB's in this area too. So in my perfect world we'd be able to trade down and get more bang for the buck.
Old 04-07-2010   #12
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
LOL, I hear you on that. I just think we're going to see really good value at DT, CB and OL in the 2nd - 4th so BPA will probably match up with those needs. I really like the RB's in this area too. So in my perfect world we'd be able to trade down and get more bang for the buck.
True!I think this draft is deep to target those needs in the top 4 rounds. Honestly, I always have said that if a top RB is there take them but I think in this draft OL might start flying off the board so we will see how that plays out.
Old 04-07-2010   #13
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

McLain is a moron...
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010   #14
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Cool Re: McClain says RB> O-Line

I believe he was not saying we would not draft OL at all, but it's not a priority because the 10 line looks really good based on 08 and if we stick a good RB in there we'll see the sudden ability to get 1 yard when it counts.
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Old 04-07-2010   #15
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195032 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

When I was a kid, I used to play electronic football. Unless the OL pieces could split or push back the DL pieces, the RB piece would be hopelessly bouncing off of the OL pieces in front of it and moving aimlesly, usually in reverse direction or infinitely travelling in circles in the backfield.

I conjured up this same picture when I watched the Texans last year. Yes, we need an RB, but without a strong decent OL, that RB , just like last year, won't be going anywhere except backwards or in circles.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010   #16
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
When I was a kid, I used to play electronic football. Unless the OL pieces could split or push back the DL pieces, the RB piece would be hopelessly bouncing off of the OL pieces in front of it and moving aimlesly, usually in reverse direction or infinitely travelling in circles in the backfield.

I conjured up this same picture when I watched the Texans last year. Yes, we need an RB, but without a strong decent OL, that RB , just like last year, won't be going anywhere except backwards or in circles.
Great analogy!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010   #17
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 109743 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
McLain is a moron...
Yes
Old 04-07-2010   #18
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

As things stand now, I expect that elusive "chemistry" in the o-line to be found. They'll be gellin' this season.
Old 04-07-2010   #19
PhilpW
Irish-American

Rep Power: 349 PhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respected

Because we run a ZBS run offense, our line isn't going to blow any team off the line of scrimmage. (I read somewhere that scheme requires a smaller, quicker lineman.) Quick counts and boot legs are all we have when we get to the goal line.
PhilpW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010   #20
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Cool Re: McClain says RB> O-Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilpW View Post
Because we run a ZBS run offense, our line isn't going to blow any team off the line of scrimmage. (I read somewhere that scheme requires a smaller, quicker lineman.)
Yet right after this statement, the coaching staff then explains up the middle is the best play to get 1 yard. Heard these two statements multiple times last year and I have not stopped complaining since.
117 C BullPen
Sigh.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read