Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-07-2010   #21
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: My New Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZ View Post
I really struggled with the Texans selection and I had to change my mock up three different times after I received info on certain players and/or teams, but I'm pretty happy with the results of this one.

I did find out that there is more than one team who likes S. Weatherspoon more than Rolando McClain and Kansas City at 5 could be the trade up spot. I also expect the Giants at 15 to be a trade up spot as well as I think they will try and move back.

http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootba.../post_147.html

P.S. - Daniel Jeremiah from MoveTheSticks.com will be on my draft show tomorrow on 1560 with me, Sean and John. You guys calls are welcome at 713-439-1560. We will be on from 5 to 7 PM if you can give a listen.
Hey Lance. In your mock where do you go if Kyle Wilson is not available?
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010   #22
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
Is anyone else leaning towards a trade back with San Diego? You know they have to value Mathews pretty highly. I say hold Mathews for a ransom, trade back w/SD and go CB/RB/DT.

Who's coming with me?
I'm in.
Old 04-07-2010   #23
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaft75 View Post
is anyone else leaning towards a trade back with san diego? You know they have to value mathews pretty highly. I say hold mathews for a ransom, trade back w/sd and go cb/rb/dt.

Who's coming with me?
+1.
Old 04-07-2010   #24
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I really struggled with the Texans selection and I had to change my mock up three different times after I received info on certain players and/or teams, but I'm pretty happy with the results of this one.

I did find out that there is more than one team who likes S. Weatherspoon more than Rolando McClain and Kansas City at 5 could be the trade up spot. I also expect the Giants at 15 to be a trade up spot as well as I think they will try and move back.

http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootba.../post_147.html

P.S. - Daniel Jeremiah from MoveTheSticks.com will be on my draft show tomorrow on 1560 with me, Sean and John. You guys calls are welcome at 713-439-1560. We will be on from 5 to 7 PM if you can give a listen.
Lance you are the first guy besides me that has mocked Gerhart in first. I really like him but most say 3rd or later. Rmartin65 and I have him in 2nd. Also, WIlson is a great pick @#20. Do you address the RB in 2nd or later?
Old 04-07-2010   #25
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is anyone else leaning towards a trade back with San Diego? You know they have to value Mathews pretty highly. I say hold Mathews for a ransom, trade back w/SD and go CB/RB/DT.

Who's coming with me?
I'd be fine with that. But I'd be fine with drafting Mathews if they didn't want to play, too.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010   #26
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I'd be fine with that. But I'd be fine with drafting Mathews if they didn't want to play, too.
Yeah, so it's a win-win, right?
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010   #27
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Chargers (with a healthy Darren Sproles) "almost have to take" Mathews, due to their "tremendous need", how can the Texans (with a very questionable Steve Slaton) pass on the RB? How are the Chargers more needy at RB than the Texans?

Sorry, I still think Mathews is a better football player than Wilson. Or McCourty. I'm very worried that the Pats (loaded with extra picks) will jump ahead of the Texans and grab Mathews. Waiting for one of the very suspect 2nd tier backs to fall is setting the Texans up for a big fail in this draft.
Old 04-07-2010   #28
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
If the Chargers (with a healthy Darren Sproles) "almost have to take" Mathews, due to their "tremendous need", how can the Texans (with a very questionable Steve Slaton) pass on the RB? How are the Chargers more needy at RB than the Texans?

Sorry, I still think Mathews is a better football player than Wilson. Or McCourty. I'm very worried that the Pats (loaded with extra picks) will jump ahead of the Texans and grab Mathews. Waiting for one of the very suspect 2nd tier backs to fall is setting the Texans up for a big fail in this draft.
I guess for a more complete team like Chargers, any area of need takes on a much starker contrast.

As for a team trying to jump ahead of the Texans, I think the best case scenario is a team trading with the Texans so we can get some more picks.
Old 04-08-2010   #29
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I honestly don't think it makes sense for the Texans to trade down, afterall this trade talk. yes I'm switching tones, what I'm seeing in all these mock drafts & even our fast draft with the best from this board, massive opportunities to select a better player than one would expect @ each pick. Guess I'm saying I have confidence in the Texans to out scout their competition & jump ahead without passing elite talent.

one bird in the hand is worth two in the bush
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010   #30
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

What a joke
Old 04-08-2010   #31
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
What a joke
What's a joke?
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010   #32
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
What a joke
Quote:
What's a joke?
If it is a joke, then I dont get it. :P

Old 04-08-2010   #33
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He's still a rookie so it probably won't be an upgrade, but I do think he can have some games where he is a little better in man to man than Dunta was at times.
In other words, he won't start until the end of October. And as I've been posting....there is little chance that they will take a non day one starter with their first round pick. Noticed you conveniently picked Iupati with the nineteen. Denial doesn't wear well on you Lance.
Old 04-08-2010   #34
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
In other words, he won't start until the end of October. And as I've been posting....there is little chance that they will take a non day one starter with their first round pick. Noticed you conveniently picked Iupati with the nineteen. Denial doesn't wear well on you Lance.
A lot of mocks have Iupati gone before we pick.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #35
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I honestly don't think it makes sense for the Texans to trade down, afterall this trade talk. yes I'm switching tones, what I'm seeing in all these mock drafts & even our fast draft with the best from this board, massive opportunities to select a better player than one would expect @ each pick. Guess I'm saying I have confidence in the Texans to out scout their competition & jump ahead without passing elite talent.

one bird in the hand is worth two in the bush
Agreed

Would you trade a 2010 5th and a 2011 2nd to move into the pick 60/70range?

I think I would make that trade.

If you made the trade I believe you could get 4 starters and a rotatioal DL in rds 1-4.

The fast draft has proven that the first 100 players are starter quality. Right now for instance on the OL you've got practically all of the OG's,CB's several RB's that will be on the board in the 3rd. (AOA) should fall to that spot for instance.

That doesn't even include the S position. Which is still loaded in the fast draft.

The right 3rd rd pick will be more valuable in the 2010 draft,than a 2011 2nd rd pick (talent wise) IMHO
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #36
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Agreed

Would you trade a 2010 5th and a 2011 2nd to move into the pick 60/70range?

I think I would make that trade.

If you made the trade I believe you could get 4 starters and a rotatioal DL in rds 1-4.

The fast draft has proven that the first 100 players are starter quality. Right now for instance on the OL you've got practically all of the OG's,CB's several RB's that will be on the board in the 3rd. (AOA) should fall to that spot for instance.

That doesn't even include the S position. Which is still loaded in the fast draft.

The right 3rd rd pick will be more valuable in the 2010 draft,than a 2011 2nd rd pick (talent wise) IMHO
I would make that trade based on who's projected available as the second round ticks by. This draft mock wise, is crazy with players moving up and down daily. However, if a need player is there @ #20, Earl Thomas, Wilson or Haden (doubtful) I think I draft him. Mathews I look at a bit differently because I like Gerhart so much. Thomas & Gerhart > Mathews and Burnett. A great FS makes Quin a better gamble.
Old 04-11-2010   #37
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
A lot of mocks have Iupati gone before we pick.
A lot of teams could use him, warts and all that's for sure. Rare guy who fits both power o and ZBS schemes. three hundred and thirty three pound guy who moves like a three oh three pound guy, not many of those each decade. I've been noticing that the mockers trend is to have Okong going to Detroit. First thing that has to happen there is someone in Detroit is going to have to have and epiphany on Jeff Backus that he aint a OLT. And so far I have seen no indication of this. Last quote I saw from Schawrtz was exactly the opposite. He is standing by his man.

Well the heard has had a chance to pick apart Iupati for four weeks now. We'll see. I think one of the more interesting aspects of this draft for the Texans will be if both Mathews and Iupati are on the board the Texans get to chose inside out or outside in. I know what I'd do if my two second rounders franchise QB bloomed into a top five NFL QB. And I'd never look back. Shoring up the o-line is job numbero uno. Especially if a once a decade player falls right in your lap. But as you post he'll probably be gone.
Old 04-11-2010   #38
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
I know what I'd do if my two second rounders franchise QB bloomed into a top five NFL QB. And I'd never look back. Shoring up the o-line is job numbero uno. Especially if a once a decade player falls right in your lap. But as you post he'll probably be gone.
Great post, I added to your rep for that one.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010   #39
LZ
Veteran

Rep Power: 5396 LZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Hey Lance. In your mock where do you go if Kyle Wilson is not available?

Ryan Mathews
LZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010   #40
LZ
Veteran

Rep Power: 5396 LZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Lance you are the first guy besides me that has mocked Gerhart in first. I really like him but most say 3rd or later. Rmartin65 and I have him in 2nd. Also, WIlson is a great pick @#20. Do you address the RB in 2nd or later?

I think you have to address RB in the 3rd because you can't wait until pick 81 and expect to get a RB who can have a big impact on your running game.
LZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read