Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 04-12-2010   #141
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Prayers for Joe Texan to get well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I hear you, Steph!! Hospitals are "Da Devil"....

I dunno why but when I was visiting Joe the other day, I was nervous and on edge the entire time I was there. I don't like hospitals. I also don't like seeing Joe suffering from a terrible headache only to have the nurse say he can't take anything for 45 minutes... BTW, 45 minutes later there was no nurse to give him 'something'...

Evil, evil people..
As usual nurses get the blame!! hohum, whats new!! Little do people know, who are not in the medical profession, how tedious our jobs really are. Not gonna adlib, just not worth it!

As for Joe! THANKS Jean for posting the link!! As much as you might care for someone, sometimes the best thing is to allow them time to heal. SOOOO many times I have seen patients FiNALLY get into a much needed state of SLEEP, just to be awakened by well meaning visitors. On the flip side, a patient can get very lonely and depressed when they have nothing to do but sit around and think about things. Call ahead, that's the best thing to do.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010   #142
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
As usual nurses get the blame!! hohum, whats new!! Little do people know, who are not in the medical profession, how tedious our jobs really are.
But you're the greatest in the world. That staff at St. Luke's can only aspire to be you!!!
Old 04-12-2010   #143
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

Get well soon Joe...e greeting sent.
Old 04-12-2010   #144
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1185 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, sent him one myself.
Old 04-12-2010   #145
Dr2bKay
All Pro

Section: 116 Bull Pen Baby
Rep Power: 379 Dr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respected

Just sent my e-greeting :-)
Dr2bKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010   #146
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But you're the greatest in the world. That staff at St. Luke's can only aspire to be you!!!

up!! Is that what you're tryin to do! lol

I can assure you, and everyone else who seems to think that nurses are EVIL, that we understand you needs, and complaints, much better than any of you know. I belong to a THANKLESS profession, and that's really sad. I can assure you, I will go to work tonight, work my butt off for 12 solid hours, give 100% of myself to my profession, and not have ONE patient or family member say "thank you!" Just about the most unappreciated profession out there! JMO!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010   #147
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Double post.
Old 04-12-2010   #148
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I can assure you, and everyone else who seems to think that nurses are EVIL, that we understand you needs, and complaints, much better than any of you know. I belong to a THANKLESS profession, and that's really sad. I can assure you, I will go to work tonight, work my butt off for 12 solid hours, give 100% of myself to my profession, and not have ONE patient or family member say "thank you!" Just about the most unappreciated profession out there! JMO!
Well if you were our nurse, we would have thanked you as we always do. Manners and respect still has meaning in our household.

I've spent a lot of time in hospitals. I've never had any major issues with nurses. If anything, it's the disconnect that I feel from doctors. Sometimes I feel like my nurses are my only link to reaching out for my doctor's humanity. There are some good and some bad.

True story. I once had a nurse set at St Joesph's named Hope and the other was named Mercy. Guess which one we liked... Mercy was brutal!
Old 04-12-2010   #149
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 268617 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I hear you, Steph!! Hospitals are "Da Devil"....

I dunno why but when I was visiting Joe the other day, I was nervous and on edge the entire time I was there. I don't like hospitals. I also don't like seeing Joe suffering from a terrible headache only to have the nurse say he can't take anything for 45 minutes... BTW, 45 minutes later there was no nurse to give him 'something'...

Evil, evil people..

Unfortunately, the type of headache Joe is experiencing is not the typical headache you can take something for and it's gone. His headache will be unrelenting until the blood clot irritating and putting pressure on his brain resorbs. Minimally, this will occur gradually over weeks. It is the type of headache that even with the strongest of pain medications will at best "take the edge off." Also, the apparent "requests" for such medications needs to be balanced with overdose and toxicity concerns associated with these not so benign medications. Although ICU nurses are charged with very demanding responsibilities, I, too, have had to counsel some concerning the timely delivery of "comfort" orders.

As an aside, I, myself, have been accused by some patients of withholding pain medications at times. However, as a physician, it is also important to remember that you can "kill a patient with kindness." Accordingly, I feel that there is no better example in medicine than the indiscriminate delivery or distribution of pain medication without regard to its "evils."
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010   #150
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 268617 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Sandy,

Good nurses like you and also specifically ICU nurses are underappreciated for the amount they do, for so many, in such a short period of time. Patients, their family and friends need to step back sometimes and understand that they or their loved ones have not been checked into a hotel primarily for comfort, they've been admitted to a hospital primarily for care. Most all good nurses do indeed try to deliver the latter with as much attention to the former as possible. Thank G-d for nurses........specifically ones like you.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010   #151
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Sandy,

Good nurses like you and also specifically ICU nurses are underappreciated for the amount they do, for so many, in such a short period of time. Patients, their family and friends need to step back sometimes and understand that they or their loved ones have not been checked into a hotel primarily for comfort, they've been admitted to a hospital primarily for care. Most all good nurses do indeed try to deliver the latter with as much attention to the former as possible. Thank G-d for nurses........specifically ones like you.
I spent a great deal of time on the 8th floor of the Methodist hospital in the 90's and I couldn't do what they do . They had a nurse named Audrey who was great . I asked her a question that the Doctor didn't want to answer and my Dad didn't want to hear , in a way that was innocent enough but she got what I was asking and because of her answer I started calling my Mom's family out of state .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010   #152
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 195710 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

The profession of nursing is like most others, some good, some need to be kicked into another job. My brother was in a Pasadena hospital with doctor orders for morphine "as needed". A nurse refused because he might become addicted. Mike replied, hope I am here long enough to get addicted. Two hours later another nurse whom I had worked with at another hospital came on duty and gave it to him.
Old 04-12-2010   #153
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109227 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
However, as a physician, it is also important to remember that you can "kill a patient with kindness."
Michael Jackson agrees.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010   #154
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sandy,

I've spent a lot of time in hospital ICUs with various loved ones the past few years. The reality is that most nurses are wonderful. Unfortunately, many hospital doctor's are absolutely terds! They treat the nurses disrespectfully and they underutilize them as a resource out of some sort of superiority complex. Many of those doctors also can't be bothered with being paged or actually taking time for a thorough diagnosis. So, when a nurse refuses to give medication to a patient it is usually because they spend the entire day trying to plead with a doctor to spend two minutes to write a script. My grandmother was in ICU two weeks ago for an obvious stroke but it took those doctors 4 days to diagnosis it. The nursed paged the doctor one day at 3pm about a serious situation (multiple times) and we waited for 6 hours for a doctor to show up. When he did, he was irritated and dismissive.

And, let's not even talk about what it's like in ICU on the weekends!

Unfortunately for nurses, they are the patients and family members only representative for the hospital care. The only way to get anything done, sometimes, is to hound and pressure the nurses. Then, just maybe, they will risk dealing with those f+++in' doctors in order to get the family off their backs.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010   #155
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's keep the e-greetings going for Joe and help him forget about those headaches a few minutes at a time.
Old 04-12-2010   #156
BIG TORO 
TERADACTYL #23

Section: Bull Pen!
Rep Power: 17947 BIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respected

Sig Courtesy of False Start
BIG TORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010   #157
Dr2bKay
All Pro

Section: 116 Bull Pen Baby
Rep Power: 379 Dr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
: I can assure you, I will go to work tonight, work my butt off for 12 solid hours, give 100% of myself to my profession, and not have ONE patient or family member say "thank you!" Just about the most unappreciated profession out there! JMO!
Nope, I think that educators have you beat on being the most unappreciated...lol...but it is all good. We all chose our professions because of our love for it and not to be recognized daily.
Dr2bKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010   #158
TexansBlood
The CUSH!

Section: 140
Rep Power: 8759 TexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respected

Just sent Joe Texan and e-gretting wishing him a speedy recovery even though I dont know him or met him but were all family in this board and im here to support my fellow Texans fans.
TexansBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010   #159
FILO_girl
I'm not here

Rep Power: 63 FILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Unfortunately, the type of headache Joe is experiencing is not the typical headache you can take something for and it's gone. His headache will be unrelenting until the blood clot irritating and putting pressure on his brain resorbs. Minimally, this will occur gradually over weeks. It is the type of headache that even with the strongest of pain medications will at best "take the edge off." Also, the apparent "requests" for such medications needs to be balanced with overdose and toxicity concerns associated with these not so benign medications. Although ICU nurses are charged with very demanding responsibilities, I, too, have had to counsel some concerning the timely delivery of "comfort" orders.

As an aside, I, myself, have been accused by some patients of withholding pain medications at times. However, as a physician, it is also important to remember that you can "kill a patient with kindness." Accordingly, I feel that there is no better example in medicine than the indiscriminate delivery or distribution of pain medication without regard to its "evils."

I wish you were my Mom's Dr., Cloak!

JMO, as a person who has experienced similar to what Joe is going through not that long ago...he really needs the love and support of those around him, I bet he is scared to death. BUT, when I was going through mine...I did not want anyone to see me in my situation, I was not 'me' for sometime. Everyone has their own way of dealing with stuff, just putting this scenario out there as I am not sure he is thinking the same way. This is some heavy duty chit to deal with. Just some food for thought...

Take care Joe, I can sympathize with you...
FILO_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010   #160
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

After two extended hospital stays, I know what a pain they can be. Hang in there. Joe, get better!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read