Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2010   #201
Section516 
Warrior
 
Section516's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,312
Rep Power: 7822 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Prayers for Joe Texan to get well

Message sent to accompany the many prayers.
__________________
Get there by kickoff.
Section516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #202
Double Barrel
Modified Simian
 
Double Barrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Onward, Upward, and back into the Trees
Section: Gridiron, Tx
Age: 47
Posts: 30,682
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Prayers for Joe Texan to get well

Thanks for the updates and education, CnD!

I shall continue thinking good thoughts and prayers for Joe Texan.
__________________
"Football is only a diversion." ~ HOUSTON TEXANS
Double Barrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #203
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor
 
Texan_Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Houston. Mediocrity Lives Here!!
Section: Bull Pen!!
Age: 47
Posts: 48,152
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Prayers for Joe Texan to get well

I just spoke with Joe. After last night's episode, (as Doc Jean reported - it was a minor set-back) and is feeling better. He goes for a stress test tomorrow. If all goes well, he could go home soon... What that means by "soon", I have no idea. I will defer to Doc Jean...
__________________
We SUCK AGAIN!
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #204
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame
 
CloakNNNdagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 15,603
Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Prayers for Joe Texan to get well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I just spoke with Joe. After last night's episode, (as Doc Jean reported - it was a minor set-back) and is feeling better. He goes for a stress test tomorrow. If all goes well, he could go home soon... What that means by "soon", I have no idea. I will defer to Doc Jean...
Joe underwent blood tests and a chest CT scan all of which showed no significant unexpected changes. Because Joe has never had a stress test, and has had a long history of mostly unattended high blood pressure, it was felt to be prudent to check if there are any significant cardiac compromises that have occured over time. Many such changes cannot be appreciated unless the heart is put through controlled challenge while simultaneously being monitored. If this test turns out satisfactorily and Joe's blood pressure avoids any unusual spikes, late tomorrow may be THE day.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #205
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor
 
Texan_Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Houston. Mediocrity Lives Here!!
Section: Bull Pen!!
Age: 47
Posts: 48,152
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Prayers for Joe Texan to get well

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Joe underwent blood tests and a chest CT scan all of which showed no significant unexpected changes. Because Joe has never had a stress test, and has had a long history of mostly unattended high blood pressure, it was felt to be prudent to check if there are any significant cardiac compromises that have occured over time. Many such changes cannot be appreciated unless the heart is put through controlled challenge while simultaneously being monitored. If this test turns out satisfactory, and Joe's blood pressure avoids any unusual spikes, late tomorrow may be THE day.
Ya know Doc, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Sometimes it would help if you call me and explain in layman's terms...
__________________
We SUCK AGAIN!
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #206
gwallaia
Moderator
 
gwallaia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 47
Posts: 7,396
Rep Power: 66021 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Prayers for Joe Texan to get well

I wonder how much the Texans have contributed to Joe's high blood pressure?
__________________


We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #207
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor
 
Texan_Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Houston. Mediocrity Lives Here!!
Section: Bull Pen!!
Age: 47
Posts: 48,152
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Prayers for Joe Texan to get well

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
I wonder how much the Texans have contributed to Joe's high blood pressure?
All of ours for that matter.
__________________
We SUCK AGAIN!
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-14-2010   #208
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58
 
NitroGSXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Washington, D.C.
Age: 38
Posts: 10,834
Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Prayers for Joe Texan to get well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Ya know Doc, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Sometimes it would help if you call me and explain in layman's terms...
I do realize that speaking in tounges is a prerequisite of being a doctor but that was pretty layman for me but let me dumb it down a notch...

Don't ignore your blood pressure readings. Too high=bad. Drugs or vegetables are better than nothing.
__________________
Why are you teaching your hearing son ASL? He's not deaf. --Pflugerville Independent School District
NitroGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #209
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor
 
Texan_Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Houston. Mediocrity Lives Here!!
Section: Bull Pen!!
Age: 47
Posts: 48,152
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Prayers for Joe Texan to get well

Doc Jean rocks!!!! He is both schooling me and scolding me at that same time! He rocks!!!!!
__________________
We SUCK AGAIN!
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #210
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58
 
NitroGSXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Washington, D.C.
Age: 38
Posts: 10,834
Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Prayers for Joe Texan to get well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Doc Jean rocks!!!! He is both schooling me and scolding me at that same time! He rocks!!!!!
He does. He's had a pretty profound impact on my recovery himself. His bedside manner should be used as examples in required teaching for the medical profession. I'm just slightly injured but what cloaknndagger did... His time. His patience. His kindness. Just makes me want to cry. The hills on my road to recovery just got flatter because of him. He pushed mountains aside in my path just by merely talking to me and my doctor. Knowledge is power. Thank you, cloak.

I fricking love this board and its people. Be good and do good...
__________________
Why are you teaching your hearing son ASL? He's not deaf. --Pflugerville Independent School District
NitroGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #211
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58
 
NitroGSXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Washington, D.C.
Age: 38
Posts: 10,834
Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Prayers for Joe Texan to get well

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
JUST TRY IT. GO AHEAD, BOTH OF YOU.........MAKE MY DAY!!!!!!!!

You should be neg repped repeatedly.

Me and the wife are arguing about the night light. I want it on tonight.

*angrily mumbles under breath*
__________________
Why are you teaching your hearing son ASL? He's not deaf. --Pflugerville Independent School District
NitroGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010   #212
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy
 
Hookem Horns's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 7,326
Rep Power: 85968 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Prayers for Joe Texan to get well

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Joe underwent blood tests and a chest CT scan all of which showed no significant unexpected changes. Because Joe has never had a stress test, and has had a long history of mostly unattended high blood pressure, it was felt to be prudent to check if there are any significant cardiac compromises that have occured over time. Many such changes cannot be appreciated unless the heart is put through controlled challenge while simultaneously being monitored. If this test turns out satisfactorily and Joe's blood pressure avoids any unusual spikes, late tomorrow may be THE day.
Just curious. You mentioned that he has had a long history of unattended hight BP? How is that known? Was Joe diagnosed with it years ago and just never took his meds? Or was it never detected and it is just assumed that his BP has been high for a good period of time because of what happened to him?

Also as a side question at what point do you recommend someone being on meds for BP? I am asking for myself because I tend to be borderline. I don't see my numbers over 140/90 too often however if I slack off on working out or eating the best I can (drinking my water, eating lots of raw veggies) my numbers do get close. I can often be around the mid 130s over mid 80s. I had one doctor recommend that I get on meds and another said not yet.

I often think some docs really are pill pushers and prescibe things when they are not necessary. However I know BP is nothing to fool around with as is evident in Joe's case.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010   #213
TexansFight
All Pro
 
TexansFight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Inside the Loop - Houston
Age: 39
Posts: 772
Rep Power: 2293 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Prayers for Joe Texan to get well

I just found this thread and wish Joe Texan the best in a speedy recovery. I have had my issues with him and his attitude; nevertheless, I hope he makes a speedy recovery.

My father is a cardiologist and practices at St. Luke's. I have been in that hospital countless times, most recently for my father who was a patient there for a few days. He is in excellent hands at St. Luke's as they have some of the best doctors and nurses that you can find.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010   #214
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame
 
CloakNNNdagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 15,603
Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Prayers for Joe Texan to get well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
Just curious. You mentioned that he has had a long history of unattended hight BP? How is that known? Was Joe diagnosed with it years ago and just never took his meds? Or was it never detected and it is just assumed that his BP has been high for a good period of time because of what happened to him?

Also as a side question at what point do you recommend someone being on meds for BP? I am asking for myself because I tend to be borderline. I don't see my numbers over 140/90 too often however if I slack off on working out or eating the best I can (drinking my water, eating lots of raw veggies) my numbers do get close. I can often be around the mid 130s over mid 80s. I had one doctor recommend that I get on meds and another said not yet.

I often think some docs really are pill pushers and prescibe things when they are not necessary. However I know BP is nothing to fool around with as is evident in Joe's case.

Several years ago, I was concerned about Joe because of some observations I made. His blood pressure was very high and he was placed meds to control it. He was very good about taking his blood pressures regularly. Unfortunately, one day, he went for a follow up to his physician......and found that he had closed up shop and disappeared. Joe, at that point, because of “many things going on in my life,” unbeknownst to me, did not pursue continued treatment.

To your other question, I will try to answer it as simply as I can. It is important, though, for you to understand, that each patient’s situation is unique, and not all patients fit into a nicely package algorithm. Any type of information that I ever relate on this MB is not meant as “G-d’s word.” It is meant to be a generalized “hang your hat” information guide, with definitive diagnosis and treatment only to be determined by one’s personal physician.

For years, the 120/80 “normal” figure was the target range. But, about 5 or 6 years ago the acceptable standards were redefined. Anything between 120/80 and 139/89 is now considered "prehypertensive. Any reading between 139/89 and 159/99 is considered to be "stage 1 hypertension." And anything topping 160/100 is "stage 2 hypertension."

Patients with stage 1 blood pressures of between 140-159/90-99 mm Hg who have no other risk factors should try lifestyle modifications for a year before drug therapy is used. But if these patients have one additional risk factor such as diabetes or clinical heart disease, their lifestyle modification should be tried for only 6 months before initiation therapy.

For patients with blood pressure above 150/100 mm Hg, drug therapy is recommended, no matter what the patients' risk factors.

Today, physicians have trended to treat even the upper level (= or >130/90) “prehypertensive” group in younger patient groups much like they do the “stage 1" group in order to minimize the end point effects of creeping chronic elevated blood pressure.

Unfortunately, most patients with diagnosed hypertension do not make lifestyle changes or take enough medication to achieve control. The lifestyle modifications involve diet, weight reduction, moderation in alcohol and sodium intake (most recently, with attention to adequate calcium and potassium intake), and regular exercise for people with high blood pressure. The aforementioned are encouraged for those who are working to reduce pressure without medications as well as those taking medications.

I’ve always personally tended to view all “medications” as having potentially “poisonous” effects one way or another. In placing a patient on any medication, the physician should consider the good it can create, balanced with the potential bad it creates. In any condition, it is always smart for a patient to take seriously addressing lifestyle changes that can eliminate the need for medication or lessen the dosage of the “poison” they must take in to help control their condition.

BTW, as many people are truly totally unaware of what there blood pressures actually normally runs, it is always a good idea for one to take their own blood pressures occasionally with a home cuff or at your local pharmacy if you trust their accuracy. As they always say, "Knowledge is power."
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010   #215
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man
 
Hardcore Texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Round Rock, TX
Age: 40
Posts: 9,451
Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Prayers for Joe Texan to get well

Thanks for the info CND. You affirmed what I thought. I was pre-hypertensive and was put on a low dose of bp meds and was told to take it for a month and come back to be checked again. I was also a little high with cholesterol. Unfortunately, I didn't follow the advice or stay on the meds, I don't really like taking any meds unless I absolutely have to. There is no history of heart disease in my family, whatsoever.......just tons of cancer unfortunately.

I began having other things going on health wise a little later, probably 8 months or so. I finally decided it was time to get healthy and kind of woke up from the old way of thinking. I attributed much of my issues of being overweight, way more than I should be. So I have made those lifestyle changes you are talking about. I got strict on myself after the new year and have sinced dropped 20lbs. My longer term goal is to be much lighter by Thanksgiving. Of course, I am now married to the idea I will always excercise regularly and eat right. I am looking forward to taking my bp and see where it's at now.

What does alcohol do to your bp or why does it raise it I guess is what I mean? I have noticed with me, if I overdo my drink it really elevates my bp the next day. I don't like that feeling so I try not to let that happen. Truth be told, I like beer way too much and used to drink heavily often in my younger/single days. I have dialed it way down and realize how important "moderation" is for not only that but to help with the weight loss. I feel like I have good, healthy balance now.

Another thing that annoys me about going to the doctor is, it is so damn hard to get any of my doctor's time, it feels like I am going by on a conveyor belt. I just want a physician that will hear what I am saying and listen to my concerns. I am not a hypochondriac but I do have concerns. If I go in because I am sick, I just pay a co-pay to get weighed, tell the nurse my symptoms and get a 5 minute or less "quick inspection" by the doc and always get the same answer. But you're right, knowledge is power, I have learned enough to know how to monitor my health, understand risk factors, and to a point self-diagnose what I think it could be so I can at least relate to my doc what I think is going on.
__________________
Warning: This post may or may not contain sarcasm, satire, or humor in general. Read at your own risk!
Hardcore Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010   #216
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor
 
Texan_Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Houston. Mediocrity Lives Here!!
Section: Bull Pen!!
Age: 47
Posts: 48,152
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Prayers for Joe Texan to get well

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
BTW, as many people are truly totally unaware of what there blood pressures actually normally runs, it is always a good idea for one to take their own blood pressures occasionally with a home cuff or at your local pharmacy if you trust their accuracy. As they always say, "Knowledge is power."
Every Saturday at my grocery store. I know those machines aren't 100% accurate, but good enough to somewhat gauge your BP.
__________________
We SUCK AGAIN!
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010   #217
GP 
Go Texans!
 
GP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: TEXAS!
Posts: 17,747
Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Prayers for Joe Texan to get well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
Thanks for the info CND. You affirmed what I thought. I was pre-hypertensive and was put on a low dose of bp meds and was told to take it for a month and come back to be checked again. I was also a little high with cholesterol. Unfortunately, I didn't follow the advice or stay on the meds, I don't really like taking any meds unless I absolutely have to. There is no history of heart disease in my family, whatsoever.......just tons of cancer unfortunately.

I began having other things going on health wise a little later, probably 8 months or so. I finally decided it was time to get healthy and kind of woke up from the old way of thinking. I attributed much of my issues of being overweight, way more than I should be. So I have made those lifestyle changes you are talking about. I got strict on myself after the new year and have sinced dropped 20lbs. My longer term goal is to be much lighter by Thanksgiving. Of course, I am now married to the idea I will always excercise regularly and eat right. I am looking forward to taking my bp and see where it's at now.

What does alcohol do to your bp or why does it raise it I guess is what I mean? I have noticed with me, if I overdo my drink it really elevates my bp the next day. I don't like that feeling so I try not to let that happen. Truth be told, I like beer way too much and used to drink heavily often in my younger/single days. I have dialed it way down and realize how important "moderation" is for not only that but to help with the weight loss. I feel like I have good, healthy balance now.

Another thing that annoys me about going to the doctor is, it is so damn hard to get any of my doctor's time, it feels like I am going by on a conveyor belt. I just want a physician that will hear what I am saying and listen to my concerns. I am not a hypochondriac but I do have concerns. If I go in because I am sick, I just pay a co-pay to get weighed, tell the nurse my symptoms and get a 5 minute or less "quick inspection" by the doc and always get the same answer. But you're right, knowledge is power, I have learned enough to know how to monitor my health, understand risk factors, and to a point self-diagnose what I think it could be so I can at least relate to my doc what I think is going on.
Alcohol starves your body of oxygen, IIRC. It also dehydrates you. It causes things to happen with your blood vessels, too.

On Mythbusters, they sat in a walk-in freezer until they were extremely chilled. Then they drank Brandy, like what you did back in the old days when a St. Bernard would bring you that little alcohol in a wooden cask tied around his dog collar.

They had an instant sensation of warmth. The scientific explanation, if I am repeating this properly, is that it opened up the small blood vessels (the capillaries sp?) which is why your face becomes flushed with redness...but it re-directs some blood flow from your vital organs, and thusly onto your smaller blood vessels. In short: drinking alcohol when almost frostbitten is a way to give more blood flow to the fingers and skin, but it might cause damage to the vital organs.

I hope I am not completely wrong. It's what they said on Mythbusters, so it has to be accurate. Right? LOL.
__________________
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010   #218
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor
 
Texan_Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Houston. Mediocrity Lives Here!!
Section: Bull Pen!!
Age: 47
Posts: 48,152
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Prayers for Joe Texan to get well

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Alcohol starves your body of oxygen, IIRC. It also dehydrates you. It causes things to happen with your blood vessels, too.

On Mythbusters, they sat in a walk-in freezer until they were extremely chilled. Then they drank Brandy, like what you did back in the old days when a St. Bernard would bring you that little alcohol in a wooden cask tied around his dog collar.

They had an instant sensation of warmth. The scientific explanation, if I am repeating this properly, is that it opened up the small blood vessels (the capillaries sp?) which is why your face becomes flushed with redness...but it re-directs some blood flow from your vital organs, and thusly onto your smaller blood vessels. In short: drinking alcohol when almost frostbitten is a way to give more blood flow to the fingers and skin, but it might cause damage to the vital organs.

I hope I am not completely wrong. It's what they said on Mythbusters, so it has to be accurate. Right? LOL.
Here's to you hopefully being completely wrong.
__________________
We SUCK AGAIN!
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010   #219
TexanDave
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 47
Posts: 364
Rep Power: 880 TexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Prayers for Joe Texan to get well

Get well Joe
TexanDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010   #220
SheTexan
Site Contributor
 
SheTexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pasadena, Texas
Age: 69
Posts: 7,138
Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Prayers for Joe Texan to get well

I'll be happy to take all you guys BP, but, not after a night out with Bill and Hobie!!
__________________
Quote:
Wake up, thank the Man for today, and dominate everything you do.
Brian Cushing
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger