Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-05-2010   #1
TheBigpaki
Veteran

Rep Power: 759 TheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Lions want to trade down. Should the Texans Consider?

Do you think it will be worth trading up to get Suh? I would love to have him in the middle of our line. He would improve our pass rush, which in turn will help our secondary. Its just a thought. What do you guys think?
I hate offseason.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...to-trade-down/
TheBigpaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010   #2
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 80969 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Lions want to trade down. Should the Texans Consider?

As the latest Lions mock GM, I can see this being attractive. DT is not at the top of their long list of needs.

As for the Texans moving up. No thanks, the cost of that big a move is not worth it.

I don't think the Lions would go for it either as we are too low to have an elite OT available.
Old 04-05-2010   #3
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 7822 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

We have too many holes to fill. To trade up would take too much. Getting a CB/RB/OL help would be out the window, or at least first year starters.
Old 04-05-2010   #4
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 222419 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

What WR could they get at #20?
Old 04-05-2010   #5
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm normally against trading up. It usually takes way too much, but what the Jets did last year showed it can be done.
Quote:
To acquire Sanchez, the Jets traded their first- and second-round choices (17 and 52), plus three marginal players - defensive end Kenyon Coleman, quarterback Brett Ratliff and safety Abram Elam.
Link
I'd love to have a dominator like that but I vote no. I don't think a 1st and 2nd and some marginal players would be too much (Lions may go for it), but (1) I think our 1st and 2nd this year will net quality productive starters for us and (2) the CONTRACT the #2 pick will require is too substantial for me especially on the DL where we've already invested so much.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010   #6
TheBigpaki
Veteran

Rep Power: 759 TheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I'm normally against trading up. It usually takes way too much, but what the Jets did last year showed it can be done.

Link
I'd love to have a dominator like that but I vote no. I don't think a 1st and 2nd and some marginal players would be too much (Lions may go for it), but (1) I think our 1st and 2nd this year will net quality productive starters for us and (2) the CONTRACT the #2 pick will require is too substantial for me especially on the DL where we've already invested so much.
I agree, I just liked the thought on Suh in a Texans uniform.
TheBigpaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010   #7
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

There's only a few situations where I'd be in favor of such a high trade up.

1. We've got great depth at most positions and we think think this guy is the final piece that can put us over the top and into the Super Bowl. However, typically DTs aren't the ones that put you over the top. I'd probably do it for a skill player.

2. We don't have the starting QB situation we do and want to make a move on a guy we think can turn into a franchise type QB. Even then the only guy I'd make the trade up for at QB is Bradford.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-05-2010   #8
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigpaki View Post
I agree, I just liked the thought on Suh in a Texans uniform.
No doubt about it. "Mario - Okoye - Suh - Smith" would be a pretty dominant DL if you ask me. Most would say Okoye has underperformed so far, but being squeezed between Mario and Suh, I think he'd be very successful.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010   #9
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Most likely this trade would be grossly expensive but it all depends on the cost. If the Lions are desperate and reasonable then yes I'd make this trade. It all depends on cost.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010   #10
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Only if it does not cost alot. Like our pick, one of our DTs, and next years second. We would fleece em though, I doubt that happens.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010   #11
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 80969 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Only if it does not cost alot. Like our pick, one of our DTs, and next years second. We would fleece em though, I doubt that happens.
If this was what it takes, I would jump on it.
Old 04-05-2010   #12
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Lets give them a 6th rounder.

We can take Jimmy Clausen and piss off/scare the crap out of the fans at the same time.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010   #13
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

What did the jets offer last year? I think it was a first and second plus 3 players?

Not worth it in my mind. This is a deep draft and I would want to stay pat or trade down rather than move up.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010   #14
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Suh is the next dominant DT. These days, I think its easier to move up into the top 5 because bad teams get trapped with high salaries for botched draft picks and want to get out of paying that salary if they can't hit on the pick. Therefore, they will take less than they used to in order to move down.

Suh is the best player in this draft by far, screw the hype and watch the tape. Watch this player single handedly will Nebraska to a near victory over the Texas Longhorns. With Suh, we could finally see what Mario would be like with "the Williams Wall" that Jared Allen has in Minnesota.

Call me a Suh homer and try to remind me DTs have an adjustment period but this here thingy is a special player. I would give up this year AND next year's first to move up and get that AFC South title while using the 2nd and 3rd round picks to try to fix the running game. You want a dominant DT to change the face of the defense? You get the most dominant DT in the history of college football.
Old 04-06-2010   #15
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Not happening. It's too high of a price.

Here's the standard chart for determining market value of each draft slot:

Link

It's a point based system. The Lions' 1st round slot is worth 2600.

Our 1st round slot is worth 850, and our 2nd is worth 390, giving our first two picks a value of 1240.

2600 - 1240 = 1360.

So we're not even halfway there after trading away a 2nd round slot, and this team doesn't have enough depth to be dealing anyone. Also keep in mind that plenty of other teams have a surplus of early picks (San Fran, New England, Seattle) and have more to offer the Lions for their slot.

That's fine with me anyway, because this draft is deep, and it's worth keeping as many picks as you can.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010   #16
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Suh is the next dominant DT. These days, I think its easier to move up into the top 5 because bad teams get trapped with high salaries for botched draft picks and want to get out of paying that salary if they can't hit on the pick. Therefore, they will take less than they used to in order to move down.

Suh is the best player in this draft by far, screw the hype and watch the tape. Watch this player single handedly will Nebraska to a near victory over the Texas Longhorns. With Suh, we could finally see what Mario would be like with "the Williams Wall" that Jared Allen has in Minnesota.

Call me a Suh homer and try to remind me DTs have an adjustment period but this here thingy is a special player. I would give up this year AND next year's first to move up and get that AFC South title while using the 2nd and 3rd round picks to try to fix the running game. You want a dominant DT to change the face of the defense? You get the most dominant DT in the history of college football.
Thats a little bit of hyperbole, don't you think? "The most dominant DT in the history of college football." Cmon now. I think he will be a solid player, but the BSPN factory has gone overboard in hyping him up. Remember how Reggie Bush was a "once in a lifetime prospect"? If Suh was so good why did he JUST show up this year. Last year he was not at this level? Also don't forget his knee problems.

I would not trade 2 firsts for him and honestly, I think McCoy will have a better career than Suh, but I may be wrong. Suh was in essence shut down by the big Oklahoma and Colorado offensive lines. He may struggle against the big strong NFL Olines.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read