Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-05-2010   #21
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Cherry Picking another draft site....

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
just shows how utterly simplistic this exercise has become. its hard enough to put together one round little lone a full 7 rounds. its a gigantic undertaking to be accurate somebody would have to pay me for the time to research it despite my passion & love for the draft.

once again the draft will be here & all these questions will have their answers
The thing about this is that it is easy to slot players once you see where players "went." I mean you could say, "Well I really want Wilson in the first, but I could get Brandon Ghee in the second, so instead I will take Pouncey to solidify the Oline knowing I can get my CB in the second."

I also want to modify the bolded comment. Putting together a 7 round mock in which each pick is well thought out is hard. Putting a half assed 7 round mock is pretty easy. I mean, if all you have to do is go to a site like draft tek, flip some positions around and voila you have a 7 rounder.

To put together a good mock like the one we did is time consuming. We meticulously went over each pick and tried to pursued ourselves against each pick in order to create a fair mock. To do that for 7 rounds would require a ridiculous amount of time and I would need to be paid on the level of Mel Kiper Jr to invest so much time and effort into it!

So, if anyone wishes to pay me $500k (up front mind you) I would be happy to take a year off school and pursue this full time!

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010   #22
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 31037 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post

1. Best DT available. Dan Williams, Brian Price, or Jared Odrick.
2. Nate Allen, S.
3. Brandon Ghee, CB.
In reality, I don't think I could pass on Kyle Wilson in the 1st round - but in "cherry picking" mode knowing we can get Allen and Ghee (and still get Tate for RB) this also addresses DT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
The thing about this is that it is easy to slot players once you see where players "went." I mean you could say, "Well I really want Wilson in the first, but I could get Brandon Ghee in the second, so instead I will take Pouncey to solidify the Oline knowing I can get my CB in the second."
Exactly the reasoning I used in my cherry pick above. Although, thinking more (I know, dangerous) probably the DTs that can contribute will be gone before our second round pick. Several good S and CBs are still likely to be available in 2nd & 3rd. So even if Wilson and Thomas are available in the 1st maybe the team should pick a DT and take their chances on the later rounds. Although that would probably make me puke.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010   #23
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I'd love some more picks too, this draft is solid through rounds 3-4.

I think there is less value early, but plenty of middle round value.
That is how I am seeing it. 5 or 6 can't miss guys at the top. in the middle of the 1st are guys that could also go at #40. I wish we would drop down a few times, but that is not happening.

Also I am in favor of trading next years picks for picks this year. Next years draft should be less talented then this years and adding picks at rounds 3-5 would help lay the final foundation to build on..
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010   #24
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'm not saying we need to draft a WR. I'm not saying we should draft a WR. I'm not saying we are going to draft a WR.

All I'm saying is if the Texans draft a bonafide 2nd round WR, I wouldn't be terribly upset.

I love KDub, but he isn't an explosive playmaker. We can cross our fingers, and hope Jacoby becomes the guy we thought he would be. Or, we can draft a new guy to be that guy.
Remind me again where we stood at the end of last season in terms of passing yards ? Led the league didn't we ?

Kevin Walter is perfect . The fact that his cap number and Jacoby's cap number allows us to feed the big dog, Andre Johnson. They are so deep Martinez can't get on to the field to get a target. We have no idea how good he might be. The only WR they may take is a Practice squad fodder candidate. And I highly doubt that one.
Old 04-10-2010   #25
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

drafttek has a new mock dated april 6th, version #24

20 Earl Thomas Texas FS
51 Dominique Franks Oklahoma CB
81 Mike Johnson Alabama OG
118 Dorin Dickerson Pittsburgh TE
150 C.J. Wilson East Carolina DE
187 E.J. Wilson North Carolina DT
197 Andre Anderson Tulane RB
227 Seyi Ajirotutu Fresno State WR

Starts off well enough, but then gets off track. Only Anderson appears to be someone the Texans might look at.

My Cherry Pick

20 Earl Thomas Texas FS Nothing wrong here except he is most likely gone.
51 Jerome Murphy South Florida CB
81 Mike Johnson Alabama OG
118 Marshall Newhouse TCU OG
150 Deji Karim Southern Illinois RB
187 Andre Anderson Tulane RB
197Adam Ulatoski Texas OT/OG
227 Jameson Konz Kent State FB/TE/WR/RB/HB

Thomas a no brainer, Murphy adds physical play to go with Quin, Johnson Caldwell Newhouse would make the middle a strength, Karim and Anderson give us an glut of young RBs, Ulatoski adds depth to guard and tackle, Kent is a do every thing type with unbelievable measurables.
Old 04-10-2010   #26
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not really buying that mock but after all there guess is as good as anyones.

As for cherry picking goodness

20. Earl Thomas, FS, Texas
51. John Asamoah, OG, Illinois
81. Geno Atkins, DT, Georgia
118. Amari Spievey, CB, Iowa
150. Marshall Newhouse, OG, TCU
187. Deji Karim, RB, Southern Illinois
197. Mike Kafka, QB, Northwestern
227. Zoltan Mesko, P, Michigan
Old 04-10-2010   #27
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I just looked at the draft needs that site had for the Texans, seemed WAY off base unless I can't understand their system.
Old 04-10-2010   #28
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Remind me again where we stood at the end of last season in terms of passing yards ? Led the league didn't we ?
& where were the Colts when they drafted Reggie Wayne? Brandon Stokely, Anthony Gonzales? etc..etc..etc..
Old 04-11-2010   #29
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

1 Sean Weatherspoon OLB Missouri
2 Nate Allen S South Florida
3 Greg Hardy DE Mississippi
4 LeGarrette Blount RB Oregon
5 Cam Thomas DT UNC
6 Adam Ulatoski OT Texas
6 Leigh Tiffin K Alabama
7 Sam Young OT Notre Dame
Old 04-11-2010   #30
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

OK. Just going by a random board... and denying my wish for Mathews at #20...

20. Earl Thomas, FS
51. Dominique Franks, CB
81. J.D. Walton, C
118. D'Anthony Smith, DT
150. Anthony Dixon, RB
187. Jon Estes, C
197. Crezdon Butler, CB
227. Scott Long, WR

We probably won't go C twice but we'll probably convert both of them to Gs.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010   #31
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not really buying that mock but after all there guess is as good as anyones.

You know that one isn't too bad Kiwi. Free ranging FS. Couple of big bodies for the o-line....one who has LT experence, and should be able to cover for Erik if a worst case scenario happened. Don't know Karim. Heard of Kafka...project for Kubes.
Old 04-11-2010   #32
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
You know that one isn't too bad Kiwi. Free ranging FS. Couple of big bodies for the o-line....one who has LT experence, and should be able to cover for Erik if a worst case scenario happened. Don't know Karim. Heard of Kafka...project for Kubes.
Not that there is much out there on Karim

from his proday

Highlights from a game a couple of nice runs at the 50 sec marks, and at the 3 min mark.

And a nice interview

I like the kid, those who think he is a Slaton clone should look at the kids legs, big powerful lower body. Has that prototypical goal line back look. Low with shifty feet
Old 04-15-2010   #33
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Doubled up at guard, I like it.
Old 04-16-2010   #34
painekiller
Hall of Fame

New mock from Drafttek.com #26

20 Devin McCourty Rutgers CB
51 John Jerry Mississippi OG
81 Ben Tate Auburn RB
118 Dorin Dickerson Pittsburgh TE
150 Daniel Te'o-nesheim Washington DE
187 Corey Peters Kentucky DT
197 David Pender Purdue FS
227 John Conner Kentucky FB

Cherry Picking

20 Devin McCourty Rutgers CB
51 John Jerry Mississippi OG
81 Toby Gerhart Stanford RB
118 Linval Joseph East Carolina NT
150 Donovan Warren Michigan CB/FS
187 Shelley Smith Colorado State OG/OT
197 Deji Karim Southern Illinois RB/PR
227 Jameson Konz Kent State FB/TE/WR/Hback
Old 04-16-2010   #35
krocket
Rookie

Rep Power: 135 krocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
........once again the draft will be here & all these questions will have their answers
I doubt it, the real picks will be argued over at least until TC and probably beyond. It is all we have to talk about.
krocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010   #36
krocket
Rookie

Rep Power: 135 krocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
........once again the draft will be here & all these questions will have their answers
I doubt it, the real picks will be argued over at least until TC and probably beyond. It is all we have to talk about. The Texans don't trade anyone very often and we haven't been signing FA's so it is the draft, ad nauseum.
krocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010   #37
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by krocket View Post
I doubt it, the real picks will be argued over at least until TC and probably beyond. It is all we have to talk about. The Texans don't trade anyone very often and we haven't been signing FA's so it is the draft, ad nauseum.
At least, after the draft, we'll have a bunch of new stuff to talk about instead of rehashing basically the same stuff we've been talking about since January.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010   #38
painekiller
Hall of Fame

the sporting news

they have us taking

1. CJ Spiller RB
Texans officials would be giddy if Spiller were to slip this far and would waste no time drafting him. Fresno State RB Ryan Mathews is the fallback option.
2. Perrish Cox CB
The Texans need a cornerback after losing Dunta Robinson. Cox likely would have been a first-round pick if not for concerns about his off-field behavior.
3. Linval Joseph DT
4. Darrell Stuckey S
5. Zane Beadles G
6. John Estes C
6. Cory Jackson FB
7. Trindon Holliday WR

My cherry pick

20 C.J. Spiller RB Clemson unless I can trade down, not many option here.
51 Kareem Jackson CB
81 Linval Joseph DT East Carolina
118 Ben Tate RB Auburn
150 Torrell Troup DT UCF
187 Akwasi Owusu-Ansah S Indiana (PA)
197 Andre Anderson RB Tulane
227 John Skelton QB Fordham

This is one of the worse draft boards I have seen. IMO No way Skelton is a 7th rounder, the late 1st sucks and the early 2nd is loaded. Dan Williams is their 85th best player....

Last edited by painekiller; 04-16-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-16-2010   #39
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Walters has a new 6 round mock up

20. Earl Thomas FS (don't think he'll be around)
51. Ben Tate RB ( look familiar)
81. Amari Spievey CB
118. D'Anthony Smith DT
150. Blair White WR
187. Patrick Stoudamire CB
197. Alex Daniels DE

My Cherry Pick

20 Earl Thomas, FS, Texas
51 Dominique Franks, CB, Oklahoma
81 Zane Beadles, G/OT, Utah
118 Toby Gerhart, RB, Stanford
150 Jeff Owens, DT, Georgia
187 Sergio Render, G, Virginia Tech
197 Stevenson Sylvester, OLB, Utah
Old 04-16-2010   #40
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Walters has a new 6 round mock up

20. Earl Thomas FS (don't think he'll be around)
51. Ben Tate RB ( look familiar)
81. Amari Spievey CB
118. D'Anthony Smith DT
150. Blair White WR
187. Patrick Stoudamire CB
197. Alex Daniels DE

My Cherry Pick

20 Earl Thomas, FS, Texas
51 Dominique Franks, CB, Oklahoma
81 Zane Beadles, G/OT, Utah
118 Toby Gerhart, RB, Stanford
150 Jeff Owens, DT, Georgia
187 Sergio Render, G, Virginia Tech
197 Stevenson Sylvester, OLB, Utah
Would love it if Walter's draft came true for us. Your is also nice, but I like Walter's top 3 better.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read