Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-02-2010   #1
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Pollard - Why the Chief gave up on him

A few weeks back I posted in a thread on here something like "how can Scott Pioli continue to be regarded as this bright football mind after releasing Pollard and seeing his impact on our defense?"

So I took it upon myself to do as much research online to find out why exactly the Chiefs gave up on him. From all the message boards/articles and anything I could find, the most common reason given was he didn't fit their new scheme.

This struck me as odd because

1) Pollard wasn't a liability in the slightest in coverage, which is usually the problem with safety's when they don't fit the scheme

2) Usually when a scheme changes its the front 7 players who find themselves out of position or no longer a fit, NOT defensive backs

3) At the very least, he's better than any safety on that Chiefs roster.

So I concluded, it couldn't be that he was no longer a fit for their new scheme. So I started giving merit to the other claims that were being made. Now these claims were made on message boards (it was difficult to find articles even reporting his release from the Chiefs, let alone anything discussing the reasoning behind it) so take it with a grain of salt or believe every word, its up to you.

One of the things I read was that Pioli did not like Pollard for reasons other than football. He was unfairly labeled "the problem" in the Chiefs locker room and his release was symbolic of "getting rid of the cancer on the team." I even read one poster to go as far as to say Pioli called around the league slandering Pollard's name and actively discouraging teams to sign him. Remember, this is all message board speculation.

But also remember Rick Smith waited purposefully to sign Pollard until week 3 so he could "experience hitting rock bottom so he could truly appreciate being in the NFL." The Rick Smith quote was not message board speculation, that was reported on the telecast of one of the games last year and McClain has retold this same account as well.

So now I'm putting together the puzzle pieces I've collected and its clear Rick got a call from Scott Pioli and took to heart what he was told. And it took the atrocious week 2 game in Tennessee where we gave up 90 yard TDs every snap it seemed to get desperate enough to want to sign this problem child Pollard. And after seeing more of the same results week 3 vs the Jags, Pollard was signed and put in the starting lineup week 4 and never looked back.

And now the Texans have a franchise impact safety for the next 10 years and we didn't have to give up any compensation to get him. And the Chiefs, well, they still have the bright brilliant mind that is Scott Pioli and their roster is just as talentless and depleted as it was when wonder boy took over. Thank you Scott Pioli, from Texans fans everywhere.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010   #2
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 18298 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Pollard - Why the Chief gave up on him

Nice write up, I have to agree with some of the points made...maybe its just rumors and speculation but some of it has to be true. Anyways, we got a great player and I hope he continues to improve and help our defense.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010   #3
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24551 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't ever recollect seeing that "waiting to let him hit rock bottom" quote. Sounds a bit speculatory to me. Doesn't sound like Rick Smith speak to me.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010   #4
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with barrett. That doesn't sounds like a Rick Smith quote. He's usually very guarded with his words, almost like a politician.

Interesting theories, but I'd take message board talk with a grain of salt. Can you imagine what Falcon fans could get from our board regarding D.Rob? As we know, most of it is just speculation and gossip.
Old 04-02-2010   #5
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
I don't ever recollect seeing that "waiting to let him hit rock bottom" quote. Sounds a bit speculatory to me. Doesn't sound like Rick Smith speak to me.
I googled until my fingers bled trying to find that quote online. It was one of the CBS color guys (Dan Dierdorf, Rich Gannon can't remember exactly who) on one of the telecasts, he said something to that effect that Rick Smith purposely didn't jump on signing Pollard as soon as he was released because he wanted Pollard to experience "the streets" and learn a lesson. I too thought it was odd that Rick Smith would say that and that a team would wait to sign a player for this reason but in hearing about how Pioli actively called teams slandering Pollard, this reaction from Rick Smith would make more sense.
Old 04-02-2010   #6
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24551 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

As I understand it (aka speculation), a television "color guy" oddly called "analysts"has less credibility as a "news source" than, well, you or I even do.

And you can quote that. That way it'll be official.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010   #7
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 268617 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
A few weeks back I posted in a thread on here something like "how can Scott Pioli continue to be regarded as this bright football mind after releasing Pollard and seeing his impact on our defense?"

So I took it upon myself to do as much research online to find out why exactly the Chiefs gave up on him. From all the message boards/articles and anything I could find, the most common reason given was he didn't fit their new scheme.
That's actually true........the rest of the Chief's D sucked eggs...............that left poor Bernard out in the cold.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-02-2010   #8
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Another thing to remember is that Pollard's old DB coach came to the Texans. I'm sure that Smith wouldn't have taken a risk on Pollard if Gibbs had bad things to say about him and didn't want him around.

I also seem to recall that there was a financial/contractual reason that they waited so long. I don't recall the specifics of that.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010   #9
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 129410 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
I googled until my fingers bled trying to find that quote online. It was one of the CBS color guys (Dan Dierdorf, Rich Gannon can't remember exactly who) on one of the telecasts, he said something to that effect that Rick Smith purposely didn't jump on signing Pollard as soon as he was released because he wanted Pollard to experience "the streets" and learn a lesson. I too thought it was odd that Rick Smith would say that and that a team would wait to sign a player for this reason but in hearing about how Pioli actively called teams slandering Pollard, this reaction from Rick Smith would make more sense.
I seem to recall the same. I think it was Gannon, but I think that was his opinion of why Smith waited. Pollard also said it took Herm Edwards making some calls for him and waiting to pass a physical that took it until week 3.

Just how I remember it.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010   #10
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

http://fans.kcchiefs.com/service/dis...18586&d=295332

Timeline:

8/26/09: Pollard argues with Pendergast.

8/29/09: Pollard plays against Seatle. makes some plays, but misses about 5 tackles.

9/3/09: Pollard does not play agains St. louis. McGraw and Morgan have great games.

9/5/09: Pollard cut.

I got curious on this subject and..
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010   #11
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Bernard Pollard led the Kansas City Chiefs with 98 tackles in 2008, 13 more than his nearest competition. He also had the dubious distinction of being the player that ended Tom Brady's season before it really got started. But the defensive MVP of the Chiefs was a roster casualty in early September as Kansas City trimmed down to meet the 53-man requirement. Now Pollard is claiming that the Chiefs tried to blackball him from signing with any other NFL team.

"I'm not going to sit here and lie to you," he said, "I don't know why I was cut. I can't do anything but assume. I know what was said about me. The things they said about me weren't right and they know they weren't right."

Pollard went into more detail on the things he claims someone from the Chiefs said about him after he was released.

"I don't know who said them. The one thing that disappointed me - I'm not going to go into everything that was said because there were a lot of things that were said but it hurt me - it said I was argumentative and disrespectful to my teammates."

Pollard refutes the claims that he was bad to have in the locker room and goes on to say that had Herm Edwards not called around the league on his behalf, Pollard might not be playing right now.

He says he was unaware of any personality conflict between him and the new front office staff of the Chiefs. Pollard was also unable to pinpoint how he seemed to alienate the coaching staff, especially Todd Haley who Pollard accused of excessive cursing and showing signs of disrespect during practices.
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/11/10/b...m-blackballed/
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010   #12
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 91406 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected

The man brought a spark that our D was sorely lacking first 3 weeks of the season. He brought an intensity that seemed to radiate through the entire defense. Cushing looked less like a warrior before Pollard arrived. Cush seemed to be hesitant to go and really "hit" people, because the Texans defense as a unit seemed "soft" and not really aggresive. It was like Cushing didn't want to ruffle feathers by doing what others weren't. Even Demeco seemed to play more aggresive after Pollard got on the field.

I think the man is a rock solid safety, and I am proud to be named after him ...... Pollardized
Pollardized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010   #13
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
As I understand it (aka speculation), a television "color guy" oddly called "analysts"has less credibility as a "news source" than, well, you or I even do.

And you can quote that. That way it'll be official.
The TV guys meet with both of the teams the Saturday before games, its a required of the coaches/players to do this. This is considered their "research" before the game and this is their source for all the information they throw out on the broadcast. Remember last year Kubiak went as far as to have John Lynch, who was doing our Seahawks game for Fox that Sunday, he had Lynch give a motivational speech to the team about not giving up in the playoff run.

Don't confuse the game analysts for the moron talking heads at ESPN. The play-by-play analysts are much closer to the teams/players than say for example the idiots on Monday Night Countdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I seem to recall the same. I think it was Gannon, but I think that was his opinion of why Smith waited. Pollard also said it took Herm Edwards making some calls for him and waiting to pass a physical that took it until week 3.

Just how I remember it.
Could've been the case but for some reason I still remember him saying Rick Smith told him this is why he waited. I could be wrong.

Yep I saw both of those publications you posted. There's another message board and a KC publication (can't tell if its a newspaper or not) that had some more tidbits on the release.
Old 04-02-2010   #14
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's what I wrote in last December in a comment after I looked into this some:

Quote:
Things I think I know: 1. KC had some other options at safety; 2. Pollard is very chatty; 3. Pollard loved the respectful yet tough coaching that Herm Edwards did; 4. Pollard had some minor injury issues during camp; 5. Some in KC thought Pollard was a bad lockerroom influence including local beat writer; 6. There's been no reports of that in Houston; 7. Pollard believes that KC badmouthed him to other teams and that he got another chance because Herm Edwards vouched for him. See e.g.: http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/11/10/b...m-blackballed/ There are some players who can be coached by any style of coach, but I believe that there's other players who do better with certain types of coaches. Pollard might be that sort of guy. /total speculation.
I think that at the time the Texans acquired Pollard, they were pretty damn desperate. Their defense was worst in the league, and their safety play among other things on the defense was ridiculously bad.
Old 04-02-2010   #15
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 129410 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Also some very good comments here:

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/9...ard-pollard-12
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010   #16
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe because he was not that good I mean the cheifs haven't had the most steller record these past 4 years
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010   #17
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Is it just me or was it an odd "coincidence" that Pollard was released from the Chiefs and their new GM from the Patriots tried to blackball him from the NFL as soon as he arrived the season after injuring Tom Brady?
Old 04-02-2010   #18
Giant Tiger
Hall of Fame

Location: Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO World Heritage Site
Rep Power: 10634 Giant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Re: Pollard - Why the Chief gave up on him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
Maybe because he was not that good I mean the cheifs haven't had the most steller record these past 4 years
It's the Chiefs' FO that isn't that good
Old 04-02-2010   #19
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Is it just me or was it an odd "coincidence" that Pollard was released from the Chiefs and their new GM from the Patriots tried to blackball him from the NFL as soon as he arrived the season after injuring Tom Brady?
That's pretty interesting, really..

I like Pollard. I like people that talk about knocking the piss out of people - and actually do it. However, I've heard a couple of times now (LZ being one source) that people around the league are waiting for the other foot to drop, inferring that 'some' problem will arise with Pollard...

I hope that speculation falls on deaf ears. Even if, what these folks were saying about Pollard were true, maybe the change of scenery thingy works. Works in reverse of Carl Everrett (Astros). Here he was a model citizen and I hated losing him. Once he left, he became a douche. I hope it's this in reverse.

In any event, we at least have Pollard knocking the piss out of people for another season.
Old 04-02-2010   #20
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Did the Chiefs give up on David Gibbs too? one thing for sure is KC, whatever reason, has really aided the Texans secondary
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read