Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Cowboys cut Adams and Hamlin

WWJD

Hall of Fame
Flozell was a very good player for alot of years. He has slowed down considerably the last few.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
So the Cowboys are now in the market for a LT ? That could represent an opportunity for us because they are drafting several places behind us and they would represent a potential trading partner for us in the event there's a tackle on the Board of interest to them when 20 rolls around.

Ole Miss Texan

Hall of Fame
I doubt we look at either. Adams doesn't fit our scheme and Hamlin doesn't offer us anything more than what we have in Eugene Wilson.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
What's the story on Hamlin?
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=5050137

Hamlin signed a one-year contract in 2007 after spending four seasons in Seattle. Hamlin earned his first Pro Bowl berth that year, compiling career highs in tackles (102) and interceptions (five). The Cowboys rewarded Hamlin with a six-year, $39 million contract.But Hamlin's numbers declined in 2008, when he had 92 tackles and just one interception. Last season, he missed four games with a high ankle sprain and was replaced by Alan Ball. At the time, coach Wade Phillips praised Ball's work for getting the secondary in place and for making plays.
Bolded is primary reason the cut him.

WWJD

Hall of Fame
Flozell will have a new team very soon.

Talking to KC, Detroit and Seattle. Hamlin I am not sure about.

Wolf

100% Texan
NFL network was talking about this. they were thinking "really? you are more than likely going the a rookie LT to protect Romo's backside? esp in the NFC East" (assuming they go LT in the draft)

WWJD

Hall of Fame
NFL network was talking about this. they were thinking "really? you are more than likely going the a rookie LT to protect Romo's backside? esp in the NFC East" (assuming they go LT in the draft)
Leonard Davis can play tackle. He's a much better guard but he can be moved into that position if Free doesn't cut it. Then you draft depth. They have a few options but all will require acquiring depth and moving some people around.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Leonard Davis can play tackle. He's a much better guard but he can be moved into that position if Free doesn't cut it. Then you draft depth. They have a few options but all will require acquiring depth and moving some people around.
Davis does not move well enough to play LT. Columbo has already proven he is not an LT. Free at best is an RT, he was anihilated during his short LT appearance. A rookie draft pick?......I won't even tackle that scenario.

Lack of experienced talent at LT will no doubt contribute an additional fear factor which Romo has seldom had to deal with while Adams was there.......one eye being permanently glued to his left side. Romo has been rattled into mistakes when press rushed in the past. This will not add to his confidence, but could easily add to his "mistakes."

Jerry may have very well inadvertently prematurely thown out the baby with the bath water, without having another baby ready to protect the rubber ducky........or get him to the "Big Game."

It will be interesting, indeed, to watch the Texans go after the rubber ducky this season.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
Davis does not move well enough to play LT. Free at best is an RT, he was anihilated during his short LT appearance. A rookie draft pick?......I won't even tackle that scenario.

Lack of experienced talent at LT will no doubt contribute an additional fear factor which Romo has seldom had to deal with while Adams was there.......one eye being permanently glued to his left side. Romo has been rattled into mistakes when press rushed in the past. This will not add to his confidence, but could easily add to his "mistakes."

Jerry may have very well inadvertently prematurely thown out the baby with the bath water, without having another baby ready to protect the rubber ducky........or get him to the "Big Game."

It will be interesting, indeed, to watch the Texans go after the rubber ducky this season.

Fow what reason, the indsiders/analyst are claiming that Free is a better LT than RT because his main problem is functional strength. Not sure I agree with them, but the overall sense that I get is that the Cowboys expect Free to be okay.

WWJD

Hall of Fame
Davis does not move well enough to play LT. Columbo has already proven he is not an LT. Free at best is an RT, he was anihilated during his short LT appearance. A rookie draft pick?......I won't even tackle that scenario.

He is a much better guard. Just an option I have heard discussed.
They were talking last year about Flozell being gone this year. Not like it's just something Jerry just dreamed about one night and decided to do the next day. LT was already a draft day need. Flozell is 35 or 36 and his days were numbered anyway. Perhaps they'll get somebody in there that knows the snap count.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Is Free the guy who came in for Flozell when he left the game who Jarret Allen whipp-ed up for the rest of that playoff game up in Minny. If so they've got a problem in 2010 protecting their QB.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Is Free the guy who came in for Flozell when he left the game who Jarret Allen whipp-ed up for the rest of that playoff game up in Minny. If so they've got a problem in 2010 protecting their QB.
Yes. This LINK may give you a balanced set of comments re. Free at LT. Doesn't look promising. But, that's OK, let the experiment begin, Jerry.

Dutchrudder

Hall of Fame
The cowboys may be looking to trade up to grab a LT around pick 10-15. They might be able to trade their first and a RB to move up and get one.

WWJD

Hall of Fame
Well yea since you asked me. The entire line had a piss poor game. The game plan stunk. Tony had no time.

WWJD

Hall of Fame
Sorta my point. With Flozell gone, under virtually any scenario, Romo will be playing paranoid.........with good reason.
We'll see. It's April. They could trade for somebody, move the line around. I'm fairly confident they sat there and thought about the ramifications of letting him go. All I'm doing is speculating. I don't know what their plans are but like I said I'm sure they have a plan. Old players get replaced. Sometimes it stings for awhile and sometimes guys are put in and you don't notice much change.

HoustonFrog

Dallas Frog
We'll see. It's April. They could trade for somebody, move the line around. I'm fairly confident they sat there and thought about the ramifications of letting him go. All I'm doing is speculating. I don't know what their plans are but like I said I'm sure they have a plan. Old players get replaced. Sometimes it stings for awhile and sometimes guys are put in and you don't notice much change.
If New England did this it would be "genius." Flozell turns 35 in a month. Hamlin was gone and had gotten lazy, showing late, etc. Here is a good article on this...and Taylor is one of the biggest doubters on Jerry and Romo out there. He is harher on the team than most outsiders.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/040310dnspotaylor.20c4b6134.html

You'll miss Flozell Adams now that he's gone.

Really, you will.

You won't miss the false starts, but you'll miss his consistency. You'll miss the trust factor of a five-time Pro Bowl player – and even if you don't, Tony Romo certainly will.

You'll miss his durability because we're talking about a player who missed just 14 games in his 12 seasons, 10 of those occurred in 2005 when he suffered a knee injury.

But Jerry Jones needed to cut him.

The best franchises always make moves such as releasing Adams and underachieving Ken Hamlin a year early rather than a year late
Free gave the Cowboys a glimpse of his ability last season, when he turned in seven quality performances subbing for injured Marc Colombo until the veteran returned in time for the playoffs.

And who can forget Free sprinting the length of the field to deliver a final block on Felix Jones' 49-yard touchdown run in the Cowboys' 24-0 win over Philadelphia that clinched a playoff spot? Free, who's entering his fourth season, has had enough time observing.

Besides, what good is it to have the NFL's highest-paid offensive coordinator and the NFL's highest-paid offensive line coach if Jerry can't ask them to coach up a player every now and then? Hudson Houck, among the league's best line coaches, will make sure Free is ready.

The Cowboys also hold a trump card.

When Jerry gave guard Leonard Davis a massive seven-year, $49 million deal with a $18.5 million in guaranteed money in 2007, he did it because Davis can play left tackle.

He's the safety net.

If Free can't get the job done, the Cowboys can move Davis to left tackle. Understand, they don't want to do it because Davis is dominant guard and he'll never be more than a good tackle.

He played the position for from 2004-06 in Arizona, allowing 18 sacks. While he doesn't have the desired arm length to keep defensive ends at bay, Davis' sheer enormity makes it difficult to get around him, and when he does get his hands on a defensive end, it's over.

Don't just assume the Cowboys will take a tackle in the first round because Adams is gone.

The Cowboys remain flexible. They can remain true to their draft board, the key to selecting good players.

Maybe, they'll even take a tackle, but it still doesn't mean they won't miss Adams some time this season.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club

StarStruck

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
If New England did this it would be "genius." Flozell turns 35 in a month. Hamlin was gone and had gotten lazy, showing late, etc. Here is a good article on this...and Taylor is one of the biggest doubters on Jerry and Romo out there. He is harher on the team than most outsiders.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/040310dnspotaylor.20c4b6134.html

Props to one of my favorite sports writers. He is truly not one for the faint in heart, but brings an interesting perspective. On my recent reads he was commentating on other sports, so it's refreshing to see one of his football columns.

HoustonFrog

Dallas Frog
Those two quotes sound conflicting
Not in the context of the article. He is explaining that it is a chance and that people are used to plugging in the LT but that overall it makes sense to cut him before his game is completely gone and he is getting beat all the time. He is just explaining that Free and others can fill in. There are good options.

Props to one of my favorite sports writers. He is truly not one for the faint in heart, but brings an interesting perspective. On my recent reads he was commentating on other sports, so it's refreshing to see one of his football columns.
I love JTT. He is one of the only sports writers I know that will basically say what he thinks without thinking about the company line. And he does it consistently where it is his opinion and not some ploy to stir up trouble and then flip flop later.

Goldensilence

hipster elite
http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2010/04/rackers_vs_brown_should_be_int.html

General,

Do you see the Texans going after Ken Hamlin or Alex Brown?

Thanks!

{JRock, they have three ends in Williams, Smith and Barwin. They might check out Brown, but I don't see them signing him. He wants to start. As for Hamlin, he's not better than Eugene Wilson when he's healthy. They'll draft a FS to develop. -- JOHN}
Problem is Wilson hasn't played a full season healthy. I don't expect them to look at Hamlin but, they should look at a young FS in rounds 1-3.