Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

draft info wanted

badboy

Hall of Fame
Most of us agree on top 19 picks just not the order of selection. Sometimes a dark horse is drafted higher in first round than expected. Does anyone see a possibility of that happening this year? An example would be safety Taylor Mays ( not necessarily a dark horse but would be what I am looking for)going top 15 or so. Anything that pushes a good player down to Texans is what I'm researching. Trades are possible of course, but pretty hard to guess at.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Most of us agree on top 19 picks just not the order of selection. Sometimes a dark horse is drafted higher in first round than expected. Does anyone see a possibility of that happening this year? An example would be safety Taylor Mays ( not necessarily a dark horse but would be what I am looking for)going top 15 or so. Anything that pushes a good player down to Texans is what I'm researching. Trades are possible of course, but pretty hard to guess at.
I think that Everson Griffin, Kareem Jackson and Devin McCourty all may go higher than anticipated and one or more may go top 20.

Blake

MMQB
I feel that Taylor mays has a 50/50 shot at #8 to the raiders, along with Bruce Cambell.

I have seen Dan Williams pretty low in some round 1 mocks. But Dan to Miami makes too much sense.

I still think Brandon Graham is underrated in mocks and will go before us in round 1. Maybe Bills or Giants?

badboy

Hall of Fame
I think that Everson Griffin, Kareem Jackson and Devin McCourty all may go higher than anticipated and one or more may go top 20.
Yeah, McCOurty is a guy I am watching climb the boards. I had him as a 3rd prospect several weeks before combine but seems to be riding a rocket sort of like Kyle Wilson did. Be interesting to see where he settles in at although I don't see him much higher. I would consider him if we did a trade with San Diego and guys like WIlson & Mathews gone. I also have Nate Allen as a possiblity at that pick.

Ole Miss Texan

Hall of Fame
Good suggestions so far. Griffen could definitely sneak his way up. I see McCourty, Jackon and Allen possibly going in the 20's but not before our pick.

I see too many mocks that have Dan Williams and Brian Price going late first. I think 1 or both could go before us.

Tyson Jackon at 3, Mark Sanchez at 4 (trade) and Darrius Heyward-Bey at 7 were all eyebrow raisers last year. Joe Flacco picked at 18 during '08 was a huge surprise way out of left field. Those kind of picks happen every year and part of the reason why I find the Draft so intruiging/fun!

I could see Dan W. sneaking into the top 10 as one of those type of picks. Maybe Sean Weatherspoon going before us. Carlos Dunlap isn't talked about too much before our pick. And Dexter McCluster is such a wildcard to me. I highly doubt he goes before our pick, but I can see him going late 1st or early 2nd possibly or slipping into the 3rd.

Basically all it takes is 1 team to REALLY like a prospect and not want to take a chance on him being gone. Baltimore - Flacco is the perfect example b/c they even traded up for him. If I have to pick a darkhorse, a complete surprise this year at QB: it might be Sean Canfield. Not saying he goes top 20, but I think he could be a guy some team might pull the trigger on b/c he'd be a great one to groom.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I feel that Taylor mays has a 50/50 shot at #8 to the raiders, along with Bruce Cambell.

I have seen Dan Williams pretty low in some round 1 mocks. But Dan to Miami makes too much sense.

I still think Brandon Graham is underrated in mocks and will go before us in round 1. Maybe Bills or Giants?
I keep hearing that Oakland may draft Mays & that could benefit Texans.

Wolf6151

All Pro
I can see Maurkice Pouncey possible going before 20. O-linemen are being valued a little higher than they used to be and Pittsburgh has great need on the O-line. Also Sean Weatherspoon could go before 20.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Good suggestions so far. Griffen could definitely sneak his way up. I see McCourty, Jackon and Allen possibly going in the 20's but not before our pick.

I see too many mocks that have Dan Williams and Brian Price going late first. I think 1 or both could go before us.

Tyson Jackon at 3, Mark Sanchez at 4 (trade) and Darrius Heyward-Bey at 7 were all eyebrow raisers last year. Joe Flacco picked at 18 during '08 was a huge surprise way out of left field. Those kind of picks happen every year and part of the reason why I find the Draft so intruiging/fun!

I could see Dan W. sneaking into the top 10 as one of those type of picks. Maybe Sean Weatherspoon going before us. Carlos Dunlap isn't talked about too much before our pick. And Dexter McCluster is such a wildcard to me. I highly doubt he goes before our pick, but I can see him going late 1st or early 2nd possibly or slipping into the 3rd.

Basically all it takes is 1 team to REALLY like a prospect and not want to take a chance on him being gone. Baltimore - Flacco is the perfect example b/c they even traded up for him. If I have to pick a darkhorse, a complete surprise this year at QB: it might be Sean Canfield. Not saying he goes top 20, but I think he could be a guy some team might pull the trigger on b/c he'd be a great one to groom.
OMT, I don't recall you evaluating Jackson CB. What do you see? If we trade down to Chargers for example, the guys I like are prob not there. At the moment I would have to move a player up quite a bit to get the need position filled.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I can see Maurkice Pouncey possible going before 20. O-linemen are being valued a little higher than they used to be and Pittsburgh has great need on the O-line. Also Sean Weatherspoon could go before 20.
Interesting and a good call. Best center in draft and could possible sneak into top 19 if someone wants him. Thanks

Ole Miss Texan

Hall of Fame
OMT, I don't recall you evaluating Jackson CB. What do you see? If we trade down to Chargers for example, the guys I like are prob not there. At the moment I would have to move a player up quite a bit to get the need position filled.
I havn't really watched him much or focused on him... partly because Terrence Cody always took up half the tv screen. :fridge: But from what I've been reading, he's been shooting up the boards. Got good size and is aggressive. Better in man to man, bump and run than zone... solid wrap up tackler and very competitive. Started all but 1 game during his 3 years at Alabama (entering as a jr). Although the SEC doesn't have the passing that other conferences do, Bama recruits great players and he's got tons of experience against good running teams - something our CBs are expected to help with. So, although I'm far from a scout, I think he'd be on our radar if we were to trade down into late first (heck you never know we could take him at 20). But trading down, getting a guy like him + a 3rd rd pick would be gravy.

nfl draft scout says when he received his draft grade letter from the advisory committee, he didn't open it but gave it straight to Nick Saban and said he didn't want to read it until after the national championship so he wouldn't be distracted. that's kind of cool.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I havn't really watched him much or focused on him... partly because Terrence Cody always took up half the tv screen. :fridge: But from what I've been reading, he's been shooting up the boards. Got good size and is aggressive. Better in man to man, bump and run than zone... solid wrap up tackler and very competitive. Started all but 1 game during his 3 years at Alabama (entering as a jr). Although the SEC doesn't have the passing that other conferences do, Bama recruits great players and he's got tons of experience against good running teams - something our CBs are expected to help with. So, although I'm far from a scout, I think he'd be on our radar if we were to trade down into late first (heck you never know we could take him at 20). But trading down, getting a guy like him + a 3rd rd pick would be gravy.

nfl draft scout says when he received his draft grade letter from the advisory committee, he didn't open it but gave it straight to Nick Saban and said he didn't want to read it until after the national championship so he wouldn't be distracted. that's kind of cool.
Yeah I read that and agree it made me like him as a person. However, I want a cover corner and think Texans may be looking to find that if available. On a trade down, I am looking at McCourty around #28 or Ansah in 3rd.

Thanks for responding.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club

One of the sights I trust alot has Jackson as the #2 corner behind Haden. He has excellent ball skills and fluidity. Here is some comments:

Excellent at anticipating routes and can keep eyes on quarterback without losing track of receiver. Mid-points high-low routes in zone coverage. Appears comfortable lining up close to the line of scrimmage. Squeezes receivers to the sideline. Aggressive and not afraid to jump up. Plays with a swagger. Can get caught trying to make a play on the ball when should wrap receiver up for short gain but rarely.

He started every game but 1 in his 3 years at Bama.

Also a high school standout with 1436 rushing yards and 20 touchdowns and 9 receptions for 256 yards and 2 touchdowns ans a senior on offense.

In 2009 and an amazing 13 pass breakups and in 2008 had 10.

Dude is a player!

badboy

Hall of Fame
One of the sights I trust alot has Jackson as the #2 corner behind Haden. He has excellent ball skills and fluidity. Here is some comments:

Excellent at anticipating routes and can keep eyes on quarterback without losing track of receiver. Mid-points high-low routes in zone coverage. Appears comfortable lining up close to the line of scrimmage. Squeezes receivers to the sideline. Aggressive and not afraid to jump up. Plays with a swagger. Can get caught trying to make a play on the ball when should wrap receiver up for short gain but rarely.

Also a high school standout with 1436 rushing yards and 20 touchdowns and 9 receptions for 256 yards and 2 touchdowns ans a senior on offense.

Dude is a player!
I would probably be ok with this type CB if I had a great FS behind him. Jackson's combine 40 4.41 is good and may allow him to run with fast WR but I don't about his "turn and pursue" ability. Walterfootball .com has him in 2nd and rated behind Haden, Wilson and McCourty.

Dude is a player!
Jackson is definitely a guy that I am warming to as a first round option. Throw in a small trade down and I would be a big fan. McCourty as well.

As for some guys that could rise, how about Jared Odrick? Was Tyson Jackson a far superior prospect? I don't believe so. A lot of 3-4 teams drafting ahead of us.

Jermaine Gresham is another guy that might surprise. Maybe a team doesn't love any of the guys available and gambles a bit on Gresham being a top 10-15 talent. If they make it to 20 both of these guys could be trading targets for some of the teams behind us .

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I would probably be ok with this type CB if I had a great FS behind him. Jackson's combine 40 4.41 is good and may allow him to run with fast WR but I don't about his "turn and pursue" ability. Walterfootball .com has him in 2nd and rated behind Haden, Wilson and McCourty.
This is what they say about Jacksons turn and run ability:

Fluid hips and can change directions quickly. Quick feet and can stick with receivers coming out of breaks, Plays under control, keeps feet under him and doesn't waste any motion.
Sinks hips and stays over feet when backpedaling. Explodes towards the line of scrimmage and closes quickly when receivers catch the ball in front of him. Shows a second gear after interceptions.

badboy

Hall of Fame
This is what they say about Jacksons turn and run ability:

Fluid hips and can change directions quickly. Quick feet and can stick with receivers coming out of breaks, Plays under control, keeps feet under him and doesn't waste any motion.
Sinks hips and stays over feet when backpedaling. Explodes towards the line of scrimmage and closes quickly when receivers catch the ball in front of him. Shows a second gear after interceptions.
Well that's pretty darn good imo. I find myself getting even more excited as we get closer to draft. One thing about beginning draft on Thursday, I can participate much sooner on Mb than waiting until Monday at work.

Seems to be much more potential in trades for Houston this year than last. Of course, if could draft a impact player like Cush @20 probably wouldn't be any trade down.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Well that's pretty darn good imo. I find myself getting even more excited as we get closer to draft. One thing about beginning draft on Thursday, I can participate much sooner on Mb than waiting until Monday at work.

Seems to be much more potential in trades for Houston this year than last. Of course, if could draft a impact player like Cush @20 probably wouldn't be any trade down.
I agree that this will be a very exciting draft. Especially in the first 3 rounds. I suspect we will see a lot more trading this year than normal.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Tim Tebow. Don't be surprised if he goes in the top 15.
On the Direct TV NFl Total program I caught a few minutes over the weekend talking about Colt McCoy's Pro Day work out and he was rated ahead of Tebow. I think it was Casserly rating Tebow in second round.