Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-01-2010   #1
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected
Default "Texans will draft Ryan Matthews" - former NFL scout

Daniel Jeremiah former NFL scout for the Browns and Ravens also famous for his twitter page http://www.twitter.com/MoveTheSticks & www.movethesticks.com did his weekly podcast and a surprising tidbit came out.

When asked if there's one team & draft prospect who, if still on the board would automatically be their pick, he chose Ryan Matthews to be picked by the Texans.

I can't say I disagree unless Earl Thomas is on the board. I don't think they'd take one of the DTs (Price, Odrick) or CBs (Wilson, McCourty, Jackson) over Ryan Matthews.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010   #2
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "Texans will draft Ryan Matthews" - former NFL scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
Daniel Jeremiah former NFL scout for the Browns and Ravens also famous for his twitter page http://www.twitter.com/MoveTheSticks & www.movethesticks.com did his weekly podcast and a surprising tidbit came out.

When asked if there's one team & draft prospect who, if still on the board would automatically be their pick, he chose Ryan Matthews to be picked by the Texans.

I can't say I disagree unless Earl Thomas is on the board. I don't think they'd take one of the DTs (Price, Odrick) or CBs (Wilson, McCourty, Jackson) over Ryan Matthews.
I would take one of the CB's over Matthews .... but only one.

And if Earl Thomas is on the board I'd take him too.

Im not real high on any of the second tier DT's so if both Wilson and Thomas were both gone I'd probably take Matthews over one of the DT's.

But I think that Ben Tate could be had in the third round and would fit in just as well as Matthews - More value for the picks imo.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010   #3
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I would take one of the CB's over Matthews .... but only one.

And if Earl Thomas is on the board I'd take him too.

Im not real high on any of the second tier DT's so if both Wilson and Thomas were both gone I'd probably take Matthews over one of the DT's.

But I think that Ben Tate could be had in the third round and would fit in just as well as Matthews - More value for the picks imo.
I'm hearing Ben Tate's value is much higher in the eyes of NFL people than the media draftniks and their mock drafts... He won't last past the 2nd round
Old 04-01-2010   #4
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Tate or Hardesty in the 2nd >>>>>> Mathews in the 1st.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010   #5
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with the previous comment from Chris. Value specifically.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010   #6
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
I'm hearing Ben Tate's value is much higher in the eyes of NFL people than the media draftniks and their mock drafts... He won't last past the 2nd round
If thats the case - its still a better value to me to take him in round 2 and get either Wilson or Thomas - pending one of them is available. If neither was there @ 20 .... I might take Mays before Matthews.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010   #7
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
Tate or Hardesty in the 2nd >>>>>> Mathews in the 1st.
Hate to disagree, but Tate in my eyes is worth a 3rd rounder. Hardesty as well due to his injury history.

I will conceed that they are probably high round 3 selections which means either take them in round 2, or trade up in round 3.

Mathews is a legit starting RB in my book.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-01-2010   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I would be happy with Mathews
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010   #9
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not against the Matthews pick, I think he would be really good on our team and help us - but I'm still just not fond of taking a RB in the 1st (20 overall) when we have holes at Interior OL, DT, CB, FS. I just don't like the value of the RB unless he is Adrian Peterson or Chris Johnson 2.0

I'd love to trade down, maybe we could intice San Diego and pick up more selections because this draft is just full of talent. But hell, if we stand pat and take Matthews at 20, make sure our OL is up to par and run with this kid from Fresno St. all the way through the playoffs... you won't see me complaining.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010   #10
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

It's looking a lot more likely we will draft Mathews at #20, unless of course, the "Bolts" jump ahead of us. I guess the question is, do they value Mathews enough to give up at least a 3rd round pick and another pick/picks to get him?
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010   #11
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
It's looking a lot more likely we will draft Mathews at #20, unless of course, the "Bolts" jump ahead of us. I guess the question is, do they value Mathews enough to give up at least a 3rd round pick and another pick/picks to get him?
I'm thinking maybe McCourty in the first and Tate in the 2nd.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010   #12
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
If thats the case - its still a better value to me to take him in round 2 and get either Wilson or Thomas - pending one of them is available. If neither was there @ 20 .... I might take Mays before Matthews.
Pollard already plays his position and he could be there in the 2nd round
Old 04-01-2010   #13
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't be upset with that pick...Earl Thomas would be ideal though...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010   #14
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
They have two 2nd rounders I believe, they may feel comfortable giving up that 3rd
Old 04-01-2010   #15
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO, as we saw last year getting a player who you think perfectly fits you system in an above average manner is getting the most value for your pick. That is how you get instant impact at an area of need.
Old 04-01-2010   #16
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Matthew's circumstance for some reason reminds me of when Eddie George was drafted by The HOUSTON Oilers.

When EG was drafted by Houston, he wasn't really supposed to be drafted by them (at least noone thought they'd draft him). They had a RB #20 by the name of Rodney Thomas who had showed potential to be a starting RB in the league and EG wasn't the most coveted RB in that draft, he was just the BPA at the time Oilers selected.

Well we have a RB #20 who pretty much possesses the same skill set that Rodney Thomas did and he's shown to be a capable starter in the league. Ryan Matthews is also not the most coveted RB in this draft either but he just may be there as the BPA when Houston picks.

I know it's not to the tee exact but it just reminds me of the same situation for those reasons above.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010   #17
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Mathews, he's a good player, but his extensive injury history and the fact that he played in a subpar conference lead me to believe that Tate is much greater value in the 2nd round.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010   #18
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I like Mathews, he's a good player, but his extensive injury history and the fact that he played in a subpar conference lead me to believe that Tate is much greater value in the 2nd round.
It'll also come down to 4 great years from Matthews or 8-10 years from a Kyle Wilson or Earl Thomas...shelf life has an impact here
Old 04-01-2010   #19
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

I just dont see Earl Thomas being available at 20
Old 04-01-2010   #20
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post
I just dont see Earl Thomas being available at 20
Me neither. I HATE when people are like "the Cowboys should draft Earl Thomas!" first off he won't be there and if the Texans had a shot at him it'd be a no brainer

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read