Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-01-2005   #141
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP
Default Great statement

I think that we have some very good offensive coaches that create opportunities for me to make these passes, and the team is able to execute the plays.

...kinda says it all, doesn't it?
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005   #142
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

Anyone else hear Dave Ragone on 610 today?
He sounds like he is ready to come back to Houston and go into training camp and show his stuff.
Good Luck to him in the World Bowl.
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005   #143
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Colgne Centurions at Berlin Thunder
Sunday, June 5, 2005
12 Noon on Fox

http://tv.yahoo.com/tvpdb?d=tvp&id=1...90800&.intl=us
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005   #144
uhcougar08
SHSUKATS08

He sounded like a leader now, who will give Banks a run for his money for #2.
Old 06-04-2005   #145
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

yeah, i see ragone as our future #2. should be interesting to see if ragone beats out tony for the #2 this year or not. i still say banks is gone after this season. too old and too expensive. as for a #3 QB, there's always one out there, not the biggest thing to worry about, but us having a young, talented #1 and #2 will be great for years to come.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005   #146
Davis37
All Pro

I cant wait for preseason to start to see what Ragone can do against the big boys over here. Same thing for that OG Bubba Evans. That guy is a monster.
Old 06-04-2005   #147
Davis37
All Pro

He either is going to make a really good #2 qb, or he is going to want to get traded for the posibility of a starter postion. If he does want to get traded, hopefully we can get some good draft picks out of him.
Old 06-05-2005   #148
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans might be forced to trade Ragone, & the timing couldn't be any better. According to this article in the Chronicle, Ragone has always wanted to be a starter & his success in Europe should only make that desire burn hotter. Since we drafted him with a 3rd round pick, it would stand to reason that we should be able to get a 2nd round pick at the very least, & if he does well in the Championship game, possibly a late 1st round pick(?).

I know that everyone is counting on Ragone replacing Banks as our backup, but in my opinion, he'll be traded. His desire to be a starter, his success in the NFLE, & next year's OT/DT depth in the draft should be enough to cause CC to accept one of the offers he'll most likely receive. Next year will be a good year to have 2 #1 picks, or at least enough picks to package for a move up into the 1st round.

In my opinion, an NFL backup will almost always be an experienced veteran that doesn't quite have what it takes to be a full time starter. If he did, he'd leave through free agency.

Ragone will be a restricted FA after next season & an unrestricted FA after that. If we don't trade him while he's hot, we could eventually lose him for nothing. Besides, we've got BJ to start grooming next.

I found this part of the article interesting/alarming.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3210896

Imagine Ragone's frustration when the talent level around him dwindled as a senior, and he dropped to the third round, only to be drafted by a team that had picked a quarterback with the first overall pick the previous year.

Before Ragone ever got to Reliant Park, word was he wanted no part of playing behind a franchise quarterback and would prefer to be elsewhere.

You never would have known it by how he conducted himself first-class in every way.

Ragone still wants a shot to be the No. 1 quarterback for an NFL team, but he's too much of a team-first player to make a lot of noise about it. He won't have to; his NFL Europe play speaks volumes to teams that are being reminded why they thought so highly of him after his junior season in college.

At some point, Texans general manager Charley Casserly will get a call from another GM hoping to uncover the next Warner, Johnson or Delhomme. Or teams could just wait. Ragone will be a restricted free agent after this season and an unrestricted free agent after 2006.
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005   #149
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

While I'm glad that Ragone is having a good year in Europe and getting some
recognition which will help his career and boost his chances of playing for someone, if we trade him and don't get more than a second round pick for him, I don't think it would even be breakeven transaction for us. In other words, a 2006 2nd rounder in exchange for a 2003 3rd round would not be a good deal for the Texans when you consider the origional pick has done nothing to add value to the Texans team. Better for us to have used that pick in '03 on someone we would have hoped would play like Wand or Peek, instead of going with Cass's dubious strategy about you can never have too many QBs. Now if we woudl somehow get a first round pick, but of course that's highly unlikely.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005   #150
CoachJim
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CoachJim Send a message via Yahoo to CoachJim
Default Ragone & Thunder on NOW...

The Thunder are on right now on Fox 26 here in Houston.
Old 06-05-2005   #151
ghostlight
All Pro

Rep Power: 202 ghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Ragone?

Why isn't Ragone playing in this game?
Old 06-05-2005   #152
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

ragone is too good to play the last game of the season. they have the world bowl next sunday, so they're keeping him on the sideline.
Old 06-05-2005   #153
ghostlight
All Pro

Rep Power: 202 ghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Thanks

Thats what I figured.
Old 06-05-2005   #154
ATX
Hall of Fame

yeah, i turned it on hoping to see ragone play. then i see him standing on the sidelines with the clipboard. guess he's getting ready to be back with the texans.
Old 06-05-2005   #155
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy
yeah, i turned it on hoping to see ragone play. then i see him standing on the sidelines with the clipboard. guess he's getting ready to be back with the texans.
Ragone started the game and played most of the 1st quarter. He was only scheduled to play a couple series, but he stayed in longer.
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005   #156
THEFUTURE
All Pro

he only played three series
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005   #157
ATX
Hall of Fame

yeah, thats what i heard after i tuned in in the second half. the world bowl should be a good game to watch. just to see what dave's made of.
Old 06-06-2005   #158
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
While I'm glad that Ragone is having a good year in Europe and getting some
recognition which will help his career and boost his chances of playing for someone, if we trade him and don't get more than a second round pick for him, I don't think it would even be breakeven transaction for us. In other words, a 2006 2nd rounder in exchange for a 2003 3rd round would not be a good deal for the Texans when you consider the origional pick has done nothing to add value to the Texans team. Better for us to have used that pick in '03 on someone we would have hoped would play like Wand or Peek, instead of going with Cass's dubious strategy about you can never have too many QBs. Now if we woudl somehow get a first round pick, but of course that's highly unlikely.

Why is it unlikely we would get a 1st rounder for Ragone? - Ive said all along that if Ragone were able to go to play in Europe and establish some experience he would show he could be a starter in this league and would be good trade bait if he did well.

Now that it's happened - Ragone has put on a show for the league front offices for us along with putting together an MVP and World Bowl performance. To me thats great audition time for a lot of teams who will play this year with some ??? at QB. I know some GM's and Coaches watch those games too and when a guy lights things up like Ragone has this season in Europe - Trust me they will notice too. IMO if Ragone wins the MVP and the World bowl, he will have shown he could and should be competing for a starters spot on somebodies squad and IMO could easily turn into a first rounder or good trade for the Texans in the future. I honestly would hate to see Ragone come back to the Texans and get relegated to the bench again asa back-up. He's a good guy and I think he has shown alot of people in the league and in Europe the skills he has and that he wants to compete at the top tier.

MY Prediction : Ragone wins MVP and Berlin wins World bowl. Get's the phone ringing in Charlies office about trade ideas for a great tight end or next year's draft choices. Could be a good mid-season trade for a team that looses it's starting QB or at the beginning of the Off-season to a team that is looking for a starting QB to build with who has experience for a decent price.

Last edited by U4ikrob; 06-06-2005 at 08:28 AM.
U4ikrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005   #159
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

If a team were in need of a QB, what would make more sense. Draft a college QB and hope he does well at the next level, or take someone like Rags who has shown that they can do well in the next level up from college (NFLE) and has NFL training camp experience? I would think they would/should be more comfortable using a first round pick on Dave than some kid fresh out of college.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005   #160
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by U4ikrob
MY Prediction : Ragone wins MVP and Berlin wins World bowl. Get's the phone ringing in Charlies office about trade ideas for a great tight end or next year's draft choices. Could be a good mid-season trade for a team that looses it's starting QB or at the beginning of the Off-season to a team that is looking for a starting QB to build with who has experience for a decent price.
I can only hope that you're prediction comes true, because as well as he's
playing he stands very little chance of making a contribution to our team as
long as DC remains healthy. I'm very sketical about us getting a first round
pick for DR, but will be delighted to admit I was mistaken about that if I am.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read