Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-06-2005   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Ragone Watch (NFL Europe)

Quote:
The Berlin Thunder offense worked together for the first time on Monday, opening up its 2005 passing camp with 23 offensive players taking part in nearly two hours of drills and conditioning.

“It felt really good to be out there,” Thunder quarterback Dave Ragone said. “I was impressed with the speed and the talent of some of those guys. The international guys really impressed me out there.”

Ragone’s plethora of tight spirals was the talk of the lockerroom by most of his new teammates after the first day.

“I see that we have a couple quarterbacks that can really gun the ball,” wide receiver Huey Whittaker said. “That ball was coming right at me. I also see that we have some wide receivers with some speed can and the running backs, too, looked solid. We’re ready to go and we want to keep it up.”

Keeping up pace with the offense and developing a rapport with the quarterbacks will be the most important thing for the rest of this offense in the next two days. “It’s extremely important,” Thunder head coach Rick Lantz said after practice. “The quarterbacks and the receivers have to really feel for each other.”

Helping ease the transition between the new teammates is quarterbacks and wide receivers coach Steve Logan. Logan, who was head coach of East Carolina from 1992-2002, directed the quarterbacks and receivers through much of the morning practice. “That’s what he does,” Lantz said. “He is working with these guys on the run and coaching these guys because he understands exactly what is going on. He can tell these players where to be in just a few words.”

For many of the players, just the opportunity to put on a helmet and cleats was enough to get their juices flowing.

“I didn’t take my helmet off the entire time,” wide receiver Allen Suber said. “I didn’t want to take any breaks. We’re tough guys coming from Division II college football. It felt really nice to be out there.”

Ragone, who spent the entire 2004 season with the Houston Texans as a backup quarterback, was also thrilled to be out in the Tampa sunshine. “It’s like I’ve got a new life. I feel almost reborn,” he said. “Here everyone is competing but I’ve got a chance to go out there and be a leader.”
Berlin
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005   #2
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

here is the next article.

2nd article

Quote:
On the eve of the first day of NFL Europe’s 2005 training camp, members of the Berlin Thunder offense are pleased by how confident they feel after finishing up a two-day passing camp. Passing camp was designed entirely for quarterbacks to get into rhythm with their offensive weapons.

“I was surprised that a lot of us were able to pick up the plays so well,” said wide receiver Terrence Stubbs, who was allocated by the New York Jets after spending the entire season on their practice squad. “The timing was there between the quarterbacks and the receivers, and we really didn’t have too many mistakes out there on the field.”

Stubbs was supremely impressed with the arm strength of Houston Texans’ allocated quarterback Dave Ragone. “Dave has a very strong arm,” Stubbs said matter-of-factly. “He really gets it there quick.”

The key now for the other eight wide receivers currently on the Thunder roster is to stay consistent and to continue studying the playbook, Stubbs felt. “I want to keep learning the playbook so I can try and make plays out there on the field,” he said.
Old 03-06-2005   #3
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

Love the media hype. "Supremely impressed," but he said it "matter-of-factly."

Go, Rags, go. Become awesome! Prove me--errrrr, I mean, the doubters--wrong about you!!!

By the way, lol@"Hamburg Sea Devils." Why not Hamburg Lars?

Last edited by TexanExile; 03-06-2005 at 12:37 PM.
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005   #4
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:
The World Bowl champion Berlin Thunder and their head coach Rick Lantz have begun working to defend their title by putting together a roster that – they hope – will match and even exceed the talent of their 2004 team.

At the head of the franchise, and hoping to fill the big boots vacated by 2004 NFL Europe Offensive MVP Rohan Davey, will be quarterback Dave Ragone, allocated to Berlin by the Houston Texans. Ragone is excited to be a part of the Thunder team, and his description of his skills had Lantz looking back to his 2004 squad for a point of reference.

“I am a left-handed quarterback. I make good decisions, I try not to make high risk passes. I manage the game well and understand what you need to do to win,” Ragone said. “I would not describe my self as a screamer who gets into teammates faces, I try to lead by example. My biggest role model in football would be a guy like Brett Favre, he plays for the love of the game, and that’s kind of how I feel. I want to lay it on the line and win football games.”

“I watched Dave Ragone play in college – I always keep an eye on Louisville as I used to coach there. He is a big, smart, strong, tough player – he reminds me a bit of a guy we had here last year,” responded an excited Lantz.

Ragone is part of a three-man quarterback rotation for Berlin that will compete in Tampa Bay for the starting job in training camp in the upcoming weeks. Although he will be going all out to win the job ahead of Jeff Krohn ({Pittsburgh Steelers) and Brett Engemann (Oakland Raiders), Ragone is looking forward to the camaraderie that will grow between the three players.
blueprint for success
Old 03-06-2005   #5
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

god forbid he becomes the NFLE MVP. I can just see the "Bench Carr and put in Ragone!" threads now.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005   #6
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

It would help Carr if someone pushed him in camp .
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005   #7
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I honestly dont think Carr is the type of person that needs outside motivation to give 100%
Sponsored links
Old 03-06-2005   #8
Rosusu
All Pro

I hope Ragone does amazing and he gets MVP and then we trade him for a 1st round draft pick!! I am positive this will happen!
Old 03-06-2005   #9
Grid
Hall of Fame

now that is a scenario that would rock.

everyone wins.. we get a 1st rounder, someone else gets a good QB, and Ragone gets to start and lead his own team.
Old 03-06-2005   #10
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

Ragone's "good decisions," I hope, will include holding onto the freaking ball when the center snaps it. Seems like a nice place to start...? :woot

More power to him. If Rags turns in a phenomenal minor-league season in Europe, it may not do much to Carr, but I bet it'll affect the other backups.
Old 03-06-2005   #11
Dionysus22
Veteran

Ya'll took the words right outta my mouth! I was just thinking that. We have two pretty outstanding back-up QBs, Ragone and Symons. Ragone came out of college with a pretty impressive senior campaign, and B.J. shattered almost every, if not all, passing records in Div. I. IMO Ragone's stock could really rise this season in Europe and that could draw some interests from other teams. Then we would have the option of trading for picks in the draft or an even swap for someone. It's true Symons played in a "pass happy" offense at Tech but coming off of an ACL injury, I don't think teams would be too eager to jump on his bandwagon. I think he would be a great back up for DC. Don't get me wrong, Ragone would be an awesome back up to David, possibly challange him for the starting spot. He's definately gonna be a starter somewhere. But I'm afraid if we don't get something for him now, we won't get squat when his contract is up and he signs a phat deal with someone else and we end up with nothing.
Dionysus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005   #12
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

ok we're looking at the positives, what do we do if he goes over there and completly chokes ? What would you expect then, if he cant compete an "minor" level how do we expect him to compete at the pro level ?
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005   #13
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Default Bwuh?

Apologies if this is slightly off-topic, but this thread led me to start poking around the NFLE website to see where the other Texans-allocated players would be seeing action this year, and I have to admit I'm a bit puzzled.

Any idea where our guys are?? Other than Rags, the only ones I found were:

Antonio Rodriguez (Amsterdam or Cologne, depending on where you look)
Allen Suber (Berlin)
Nick Narcisse (Frankfurt)
B.J. Symons (?!?!) (Frankfurt)
Anthony Dunn (Cologne)
Brandon Evans (Cologne)
Dave Moretti (Cologne)

None of Houston's other allocations (as released Jan. 31) are in the league's player list. And if you search the NFLE's master player roster, only Ragone and Rodriguez show up. The other listings are from scanning the individual player rosters. And Symons is on a roster? I'm confused.

One possible explanation for this is that one team (Hamburg) still hasn't posted its roster into the NFLE master list. But that'd be amazing to find all the rest of Houston's players on the Hamburglars squad.

Side note: Defensive coaches for Berlin include "Chris Dishman." (Spelled as they did.)
Old 03-06-2005   #14
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

is there only 4 teams in NFL Europe or something ? I sure thought it was bigger than that !
Old 03-07-2005   #15
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

I believe there are 6.
Old 03-07-2005   #16
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

only 6 teams and they call it NFL europe ???? miswell call it NFLGermany
Old 03-07-2005   #17
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Unfortunatly, that is basically what it is. Used to be one in Spain and one in Scottland, but those teams folded and became German teams. Hopefully as it is played longer in europe, it will gain more of a following and again expand.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005   #18
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Press release from NFLE Training Camp in Tampa

Ragone went 4 of 5 for 46 yards in a scrimmage against Frankfurt today.
Old 03-08-2005   #19
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

Does anyone have any pictures of Ragone in his new digs?
Old 03-08-2005   #20
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

not much but better'n nothin'

http://www.berlin-thunder.de/imgs/news/n1023.jpg

http://www.sportsline.com/u/photos/pl_55861.jpg

http://images.nfl.com/photos/img8241883.jpg
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read