Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-29-2010   #1
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default We move back to 28!

Apparently, we've got our trade partner!

Quote:
Chargers beat writer Kevin Acee believes that the team will use its first-round pick on a running back.
Assuming there's a tailback on the board worthy of the pick, of course. Acee suggests Fresno State's Ryan Mathews as GM A.J. Smith's top target.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010   #2
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: We move back to 28!

I could see the Texans picking Ryan Mathews themselves @ 20. Depending on who's still there @ 20 .... It would likely take a sweet deal to get me to move.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010   #3
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 63318 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Still not sold on RB @ 20.

If Thomas, Haden, Wilson are gone at 20, I'd be happy to move down to 28.....

And pick up Taylor Mays
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010   #4
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post

And pick up Taylor Mays
Then Im fine with moving , those are the top three guy's I'd be looking at in the 20 spot unless one of the highly ranked prospects somehow falls.

But do you think Mays makes it past Dallas @ 27 ?

Old 03-29-2010   #5
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 63318 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

It's hard to say where Mays goes. If someone falls in love with his Protential, he could go before #20.

If people are scared off by last year he could go 2nd round.

You just never know.
Old 03-29-2010   #6
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with Kiwitexansfan, if Earl Thomas, Kyle Wilson, and Joe Haden are all gone then yes I'd definitely make that trade. The trade down also depends on what compensation we get for it, I'm guessing a 3rd and 5th but I'd ask for a 2nd. San Diego is drooling to get Ryan Mathews and for my opinion they can have him. Mathews has a pretty extensive injury history and I'd rather have Ben Tate in the 2nd round anyway. Tate has no injury history, played in a much tougher conference against much tougher opponents, and was the only weapon on Auburns team so defenses knew he was getting the ball and they still couldn't stop him. He also blocks very well and can catch well as also.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010   #7
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't mind moving back and picking up a third and drafting Brian Price, Kareem Jackson, Patrick Robinson, or Devin Mcourtey with the 28th pick. And then we could use that third round pick on an OG like Mike Johnson or a center like JD Walton or Matt Tennant.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-29-2010   #8
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

It all depends on what they give us to move back.

According to the points, they'd need to do a tad more than just give us their third.

I'd love to have another 3rd in this draft.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010   #9
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Judging by what the board mock draft has fallen like, I'm thinking the good talent is there through the early third round but by the time it gets to late third things are starting to dry up.

Or

There is a big talent disparity between early third and late third.
Old 03-30-2010   #10
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Judging by what the board mock draft has fallen like, I'm thinking the good talent is there through the early third round but by the time it gets to late third things are starting to dry up.

Or

There is a big talent disparity between early third and late third.
I don't know about that. I think there are still some really talented guys out there. Chris Cook just went. Spievey just went with the Charger's pick and I think he's a talented corner although that may have been a little early. Gerhart is still on the board. Dexter McCluster (WR), Mike Williams (WR), Reshad Jones (S), Arthur Jones (DT), Torrel Troup (DT)... probably lots of guys I don't even know. I'd like to have another pick in the late 3rd.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010   #11
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21460 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
It all depends on what they give us to move back.

According to the points, they'd need to do a tad more than just give us their third.

In one of my mocks that I plan on posting this weekend, I've got us trading down with SD.

In the deal, we swap 1st's (20 for 28), 2nd's (51 for 40), receive their 3rd (91) & give them their 6th (197) back. That's a point differential of +49 points for us. If they want Mathews, that seems like a fair deal to me.

With a high 2nd round pick, we should be able to snag Nate Allen (FS) & the extra 3rd should net us a quality player.

The Texan Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010   #12
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Apparently, we've got our trade partner!

I brought this up before that Houston could be making their love of Mathews widely known as a smoke screen to get San Diego to move up and get him. I really don't think the Texans want to spend their 1st round pick on a rb when they can get a good one in the 2nd or 3rd this year with little to no drop off in talent. There is no clear stud rb in this years draft.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010   #13
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I trust AJ Smith and the Chargers' talent evaluation. If the Chargers covet Mathews, the Texans should draft him.
Old 03-30-2010   #14
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I trust AJ Smith and the Chargers' talent evaluation. If the Chargers covet Mathews, the Texans should draft him.
Eh, the Texans have quite a few holes to fill. To me, it would be worth it to get the extra picks in such a deep draft class.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010   #15
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

And pick up Taylor Mays
You and I are thinking exactly alike.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010   #16
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I agree with Kiwitexansfan, if Earl Thomas, Kyle Wilson, and Joe Haden are all gone then yes I'd definitely make that trade. The trade down also depends on what compensation we get for it, I'm guessing a 3rd and 5th but I'd ask for a 2nd. San Diego is drooling to get Ryan Mathews and for my opinion they can have him. Mathews has a pretty extensive injury history and I'd rather have Ben Tate in the 2nd round anyway. Tate has no injury history, played in a much tougher conference against much tougher opponents, and was the only weapon on Auburns team so defenses knew he was getting the ball and they still couldn't stop him. He also blocks very well and can catch well as also.
You have been doing a great job of selling me on Tate.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010   #17
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Eh, the Texans have quite a few holes to fill. To me, it would be worth it to get the extra picks in such a deep draft class.
I think if Thomas, Haden and Wilson are all gone and you can get a third to move back 8 spots you do it. I just dont see any seperation among the RB's outside of the speed of Spiller and this team doesnt really need another small speed back.

Its pretty likely that Tate or Gerhart is available in round three.

Old 03-30-2010   #18
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
In one of my mocks that I plan on posting this weekend, I've got us trading down with SD.

In the deal, we swap 1st's (20 for 28), 2nd's (51 for 40), receive their 3rd (91) & give them their 6th (197) back. That's a point differential of +49 points for us. If they want Mathews, that seems like a fair deal to me.

With a high 2nd round pick, we should be able to snag Nate Allen (FS) & the extra 3rd should net us a quality player.
If that is the deal, I'd jump on it.

I think 28/40 gets you better players than 20/51
Old 03-30-2010   #19
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Totally agree.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010   #20
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

edit.

Last edited by Scooter; 03-30-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read