Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-27-2010   #1
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22304 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Jon Asamoah Video

This is a type of player the Texans like. I don't know if he is on their radar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQNWRhJZ7PU
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010   #2
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 25411 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jon Asamoah Video

I don't know too. But i think he could help alot. Maybe we could get him in the 4th?

That is a great video by the way.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010   #3
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Texans, Seahawks, or Redskins take him in the 2nd round. I read that Illinois plays a ZBS scheme so he'd be perfect for us.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010   #4
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22304 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I don't know too. But i think he could help alot. Maybe we could get him in the 4th?

That is a great video by the way.
He is rated as a secound rounder. Rated as the second best Guard behind Iupati. I would love it if the Texans drafted him.
Old 03-27-2010   #5
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 25411 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
He is rated as a secound rounder. Rated as the second best Guard behind Iupati. I would love it if the Texans drafted him.
Yeah, but it's early. I can still dream right?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010   #6
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1964 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I doubt we take him with our 2nd, if you believe the General and most gurus then we are going DB and RB in the 1st two rounds. Asamoah is not going to last until our 3rd round pick.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010   #7
justmy2cents
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 justmy2cents is on the Pro-Bowl ballotjustmy2cents is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
I doubt we take him with our 2nd, if you believe the General and most gurus then we are going DB and RB in the 1st two rounds. Asamoah is not going to last until our 3rd round pick.

I think you've nailed the situation. I believe our first 3 picks will be some combination of RB, CB, & FS and our first 4 will include a DT. That said, if we magically landed Asamoah, I could see a ZBS OL that would be as young and talented as any you could dream up! That is assumimg that Wade Smith is as talented at center as 12 million should purchase. I have yet to hear or read any evaluation of his talent level! Thoughts?
justmy2cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-28-2010   #8
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1964 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmy2cents View Post
I think you've nailed the situation. I believe our first 3 picks will be some combination of RB, CB, & FS and our first 4 will include a DT. That said, if we magically landed Asamoah, I could see a ZBS OL that would be as young and talented as any you could dream up! That is assumimg that Wade Smith is as talented at center as 12 million should purchase. I have yet to hear or read any evaluation of his talent level! Thoughts?
Solid backup on a good OL. But Dennison loves the guy has been after him for a few years. He started for the Dolphins when they sucked then sat on the bench for a solid Jets line and then started for a bad Chiefs line. That doesn't impress me. Especially with $6.25M guaranteed.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010   #9
justmy2cents
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 justmy2cents is on the Pro-Bowl ballotjustmy2cents is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Solid backup on a good OL. But Dennison loves the guy has been after him for a few years. He started for the Dolphins when they sucked then sat on the bench for a solid Jets line and then started for a bad Chiefs line. That doesn't impress me. Especially with $6.25M guaranteed.

Uhhh ... nor me. Several days ago, I read or heard that Mark Pouncey was the best center to come along in several years. At 6'4" - 305, quick, strong, smart and athletic, he's the perfect fit for a ZBS. I guess we'll just have to draft him too. I forsee opposition!
Old 03-28-2010   #10
stingray
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmy2cents View Post
Uhhh ... nor me. Several days ago, I read or heard that Mark Pouncey was the best center to come along in several years. At 6'4" - 305, quick, strong, smart and athletic, he's the perfect fit for a ZBS. I guess we'll just have to draft him too. I forsee opposition!
Alex Mack was rated higher and he came out last year.
Old 03-29-2010   #11
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm the only one in here I know, but I think beyond corner and running back, or the DT, you get a shot at a three hundred and thirty pound guy, not an once of fat on him mind you, runs just as quick as these guys, why not Iupati with the twenty ? The value of a rushing attack, a dependable and cosistant rushing attack, isn't that worth our first round pick ? It is worth the second but not the first ?

Sorry, I don't understand this logic. Is it because guard is not the sexy pick? Even if it solves the problem ? Just me, it would be nice in 2010 not to hear Gary Kubiak whine about not being able to run the ball for four months. Pitt is probably gong to take him anyway.
Old 03-29-2010   #12
stingray
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
I'm the only one in here I know, but I think beyond corner and running back, or the DT, you get a shot at a three hundred and thirty pound guy, not an once of fat on him mind you, runs just as quick as these guys, why not Iupati with the twenty ? The value of a rushing attack, a dependable and cosistant rushing attack, isn't that worth our first round pick ? It is worth the second but not the first ?

Sorry, I don't understand this logic. Is it because guard is not the sexy pick? Even if it solves the problem ? Just me, it would be nice in 2010 not to hear Gary Kubiak whine about not being able to run the ball for four months. Pitt is probably gong to take him anyway.
Many think that Iupati is still somewhat raw. He looked terrible at the Senior Bowl. He got abused. If we could trade down and take Asamoah in the second and Tate in the early third, many of the Texans running problems would probably be resolved.
Old 03-29-2010   #13
justmy2cents
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
Many think that Iupati is still somewhat raw. He looked terrible at the Senior Bowl. He got abused. If we could trade down and take Asamoah in the second and Tate in the early third, many of the Texans running problems would probably be resolved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post

I'm certainly no expert on O-Linemen ... wish I were ... I have great respect for them. It seems like the other ZBS teams employ players who are much like ours ... smaller, quicker, and athletic. You are right about size. If we can find a larger, more powerful player who fits all the other criteria, we'd be crazy not to draft him ... but he would most likely be in the top half of the first round. At 6'4" & 340, Charles Spencer may have been one of the rare exceptions ... terrible shame about his career-ending injury.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read