Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-27-2010   #1
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Steve Slaton to benefit from new NFL rule, per John Clayton

From the story on owner's meeting and rule changes:

Quote:
Another new rule states that the play is dead once a ball carrier's helmet comes off.
link to full story
Old 03-27-2010   #2
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Steve Slaton to benefit from new NFL rule, per John Clayton

This might cut down on his fumbles. I expect him to consider just cocking the helmet way back on his head before the snap.
Old 03-27-2010   #3
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Who likes the new rules or feels they take away value from football?
Old 03-27-2010   #4
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 74971 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
It's not nearly as bad of a rule as a few of the others they introduced (I'm looking at you 10 second runoff after a booth review).
Old 03-27-2010   #5
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
From the story on owner's meeting and rule changes:

link to full story
Stupid. Fit him properly and ensure he's fully strapped in or start fining him. Too many players leave the top part of the chinstrap unbuttoned. I'm not saying this is Slaton's issue. I don't know. Maybe his helmet doesn't fit well. I just know he loses his helmet too stupid fricking lousy much.

I'm tired of it. Reckless. Fix it. Don't stop the football game!!
Old 03-27-2010   #6
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 107142 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

we talked a little bit about it

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69395
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010   #7
GP 
Go Texans!

This could also HURT the Texans if Slaton is still churning out yards, in a crowd of tacklers, and his helmet comes off.

The refs are going to blow the play dead. No more positive yardage can be made, and they might even have to review to spot the ball...or the ref will throw the bean bag to spot it, which we all know is soooo accurate.

Steve has to stop fumbling, AND keep his helmet on.

Uphill battle for the guy, I'm afraid.
Old 03-27-2010   #8
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Oops. I didn't research to see if this was covered in another thread.

Mods: Move if necessary. My bad.
Old 03-27-2010   #9
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

I just worry the game is slowly being watered down but by the same token human lifes should be protected. Football won't ever be 100 percent safe just safer. What gives?
Old 03-27-2010   #10
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 107142 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Oops. I didn't research to see if this was covered in another thread.

Mods: Move if necessary. My bad.
no I think you are fine.. it evolved from nfl to slaton LOL
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010   #11
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dont like this new rule.

I also dont like the rule that when a WR catches the ball you cant knock the crap out of him. The WR has to make a football move before the DB can hit him.

This new rule is a big reason why I wouldn't draft Mayes.

This is just anther step in ruining the game. IMHO

The college game is more pure than the (Rules) watered down version that the NFL is producing. IMHO
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010   #12
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Dont like this new rule.

I also dont like the rule that when a WR catches the ball you cant knock the crap out of him. The WR has to make a football move before the DB can hit him.

The college game is more pure than the (Rules) watered down version that the NFL is producing. IMHO
I'll be honest with you the new rules are really giving me a bad rub. I do not know how to keep the players safe except for better uni's and better shape. Having doctors on sight is another good idea. How do fully stop injuries without changing the game forever? Sadly, you do not.
Old 03-27-2010   #13
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'll be honest with you the new rules are really giving me a bad rub. I do not know how to keep the players safe except for better uni's and better shape. Having doctors on sight is another good idea. How do fully stop injuries without changing the game forever? Sadly, you do not.

The only way to keep players SAFE is to NOT play the game!! Just like anything else we do in life, we know the risks when we take it on. This is all ridiculous!! They are ruining the game, pure and simple!! The new rule on the WR hit really pisses me off!! Might as well just give him 6 points!! grrrrrrrrr!!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010   #14
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
The only way to keep players SAFE is to NOT play the game!! Just like anything else we do in life, we know the risks when we take it on. This is all ridiculous!! They are ruining the game, pure and simple!! The new rule on the WR hit really pisses me off!! Might as well just give him 6 points!! grrrrrrrrr!!!
Its a large reason why sports players are paid millions because of the one play and done thing. Its very sad but also the truth. I say man up and play the stupid game like players used to years ago. I have even heard of players playing with broken limbs back in the day simply because they did not get paid nearly as much as the players are paid today and contracts were not a sure thing back then now that is football my friends.
Old 03-27-2010   #15
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post

We all speak of great LBs, CBs and safeties having great INSTINCTS in getting to the ball and the WRs........and knocking the #H*% out of the receivers. Well now we will be speaking of the great instincts of holding back and watching the receivers cuddle their balls before they can be torn away from their bodies. My, this could end up making football a nasty game, couldn't it?
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010   #16
gary
Hall of Fame

I'll slowly begin to feel like I am watching a pee wee league football game.
Old 03-27-2010   #17
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Dont like this new rule.

This rule already exists in college.
Old 03-27-2010   #18
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Actually, Riddell helmets are made with double snaps to maintain security and ease of placement and removal. These can and must be properly adjusted. However, there is a reason why they are snaps and not easily removable lockable fasteners. They are made to pop off under extreme conditions.

Furthermore, until the past decade, helmets were cushioned with leather, foam rubber and suspension strap systems. Today, the helmets use a more complicated multiple air filled ballast system within that must be maintained at very specific inflation points. If these are not properly filled to correct fit, it doesn’t matter how tight or how many chin straps are applied. The helmet will fly off.

And, of course, if the helmet itself is not of basic proper size, the attention to all other factors are of mute importance.

Bottom line, it is the player that must be vigilante in maintaining all elements of his helmet’s fit.

Here's a Riddell video explaining some of fine points of Revolution helmet fitting.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010   #19
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
This rule already exists in college.
Really

Link

It must not be enforced then.

The TE from Oregon St. that Mays blew up there wasn't a pentalty called on that play.

That would be a pealty in the NFL under the new rule.

Bottom line they are trying to legislate violent hit out of the game.

I enjoy hard hitting football. Oh well
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010   #20
ChrisG
Road Fan

Rep Power: 9776 ChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respected

actually the new rule for umpire position is gonna hurt our whole line. With the umpire unable to see the defensive line there is gonna be alot more holding and our ZBS will be less effective.

So the new ump position is most likely gonna hurt our run game

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read