Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-25-2010   #1
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Kuharsky blog: Will new o-coord "slow down" Schaub and passing attack?

Kuharsky, in his AFC South blog, shares thoughts about Texans new o-coord. Not a very in-depth article, but it's something for us to kick around.

Excerpt:

Quote:
Shanahan went to Washington to join his dad’s new staff with the Redskins. The Texans’ offensive system isn’t going to change a lot as Rick Dennison takes over the post. Like Kubiak and Kyle Shanahan, Dennison comes from Denver roots with Mike Shanahan.

The Texans will do everything possible to make for a smooth transition. Still, even with a top-flight quarterback (Matt Schaub) and one of the game’s best receivers (Andre Johnson), Dennison is a different guy and his own man and there is likely to be an adjustment period.
I don't think Frank Bush cost us the playoffs, though. He had a very Richard Smith'ish first few games, but the defense made a bigger leap in 2009 than it did over the course of the three previous seasons under Richard Smith.
Old 03-25-2010   #2
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kuharsky blog: Will new o-coord "slow down" Schaub and passing attack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Kuharsky, in his AFC South blog, shares thoughts about Texans new o-coord. Not a very in-depth article, but it's something for us to kick around.

Excerpt:

I don't think Frank Bush cost us the playoffs, though. He had a very Richard Smith'ish first few games, but the defense made a bigger leap in 2009 than it did over the course of the three previous seasons under Richard Smith.
I think the OC has much less of an impact on the offensive side of the ball than the DC does on the defense due to Kubiak and his background.

That's just my thought though.
Old 03-25-2010   #3
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default Re: Kuharsky blog: Will new o-coord "slow down" Schaub and passing attack?

If by "slow down" he helps us get a credible running game to give us more balance on offense then yes I hope he does.
Old 03-25-2010   #4
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

He certainly didn't slow down Jay Cutler during his time there.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010   #5
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyways if less passing yards means more rushing yards and wins I won't give a crap.
Old 03-25-2010   #6
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Anyways if less passing yards means more rushing yards and wins I won't give a crap.
Exactly.. Well said.
Old 03-25-2010   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Exactly again.
Old 03-25-2010   #8
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is that really all that important? I don't care how many yards we get in either category as long as it translates into WINS. There's a lot of people coming around to the idea that thos who pass and stop the pass most effectively win more than those who run and stop the run effectively. http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2...facts_o_1.html
Old 03-25-2010   #9
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 13154 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

If it means the run game gets better at all it will translate into more wins. You just can't expect to throw as much as the Texans did this past season EVERY season, that's crazy. Now if we can get an even average running game going with our elite passing game, now you're talking.
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010   #10
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Is that really all that important? I don't care how many yards we get in either category as long as it translates into WINS. There's a lot of people coming around to the idea that thos who pass and stop the pass most effectively win more than those who run and stop the run effectively. http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2...facts_o_1.html
No offense, but I don't really care about that. Last season a rookie QB and rookie HC almost found themselves in the SB strictly on running the ball and stopping the run.

Don't really care if last season was a pass happy season, year in and year out, more often than not running the ball and stopping the run means mucho success in this league.

I mean don't get me wrong, I don't want to become a boring conservative team, but we are a team that struggles to win/pull out close games.........the lack of a running game is the biggest reason for that. We have been one of the best passing offenses in the league for a couple of seasons now (and haven't accomplished crap) and last season the lack of a consistent running game cost us a chance at the playoffs...that's about all I need to know about how important a good running game is. I don't really care what other stats say, I know the reason why we still haven't punched our playoff ticket is because we can't run the ball consistently, especially in short yardage situations.

I would've gladly taken about 700-800 less passing yards from Schaub this season if you would've promised me a dominant running game in return......hell even just a above average running game.

With a better running game last season we sweep Jacksonville, most likely beat Arizona, and we atleast split with the Colts (and you can say that about the Colts for the last couple of seasons).......thus easily putting us in the playoffs. Yeah a running game would be great. I'm getting tired of aerial shootouts (especially against the Colts) where games come down to the wire. The only time we ever beat the Colts is where we ran all over them and wore them into the ground. Ron Dayne murdered them and had one of his best days as a pro. Give me a team that can run the ball when the other team is expecting us to run the ball (like in game where he beat the Colts) late in games and then pair them with Schaub and Andre and that's a team that's really going places. Until Houston can do that, well....I'll expect much of the same. Another year of being outdueled by Peyton late in games and another year where we'll drop about 4 games that we should've won inside of our 5 yard line.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 03-26-2010 at 12:04 AM.
Old 03-25-2010   #11
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I think the OC has much less of an impact on the offensive side of the ball than the DC does on the defense due to Kubiak and his background.

That's just my thought though.
Ding ding ding winner
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010   #12
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Even with that link, I believe that Kubiak's specific offense will work better with a credible running game. I believe it would help their scoring offense, keep Schaub safer and more effective.

As for Kuharsky's topic, I address that in this recent post:

Offensive coaching changes affect on team

In part:

Quote:
It is possible that Schaub's numbers go down, but only in the way that Drew Brees' numbers went down from silly enormous in 2008 to regular enormous in 2009 after his running game got on track, and he actually got a defense. (Or if he gets hurt, of course, mentioning this as a un-jinx).
Old 03-26-2010   #13
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think a steady running game can increase Schaub's output as that will mean more third down conversions, which means longer drives, which means more yards and hopefully more touchdowns.
Old 03-26-2010   #14
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I think a steady running game can increase Schaub's output as that will mean more third down conversions, which means longer drives, which means more yards and hopefully more touchdowns.
Also, Schaub has a DEADLY play fake when he really wants to sell it. If the running game is working, he'll be able to use those play fakes more and that should open up things in the passing game.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010   #15
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 288222 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No offense, but I don't really care about that. Last season a rookie QB and rookie HC almost found themselves in the SB strictly on running the ball and stopping the run.

Don't really care if last season was a pass happy season, year in and year out, more often than not running the ball and stopping the run means mucho success in this league.
Except that this year the two teams with the best passing attacks were the ones actually in the Super Bowl. Same with last year too. Seems to me the passing game nearly won the game for the Cards last year and DID win the game for the Steelers.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010   #16
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 118212 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Except that this year the two teams with the best passing attacks were the ones actually in the Super Bowl. Same with last year too. Seems to me the passing game nearly won the game for the Cards last year and DID win the game for the Steelers.
Yep. But you must have the threat of the running game. Even though the running game might not be good, if you can run occasionaly, the defense has to account for that first. That slows them for just one step, and that can be all the difference.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010   #17
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 288222 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Yep. But you must have the threat of the running game. Even though the running game might not be good, if you can run occasionaly, the defense has to account for that first. That slows them for just one step, and that can be all the difference.
I think our offense must be balanced. Otherwise any good defensive coordinator will load up to stop your strength and dare you to beat them with your weakness.
Old 03-27-2010   #18
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 108546 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

The ability to impose the run is necessary for red zone production. Guess what area this team needs to improve upon to translate offensive production to wins.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010   #19
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Again, I don't care about other teams......I'm talking about this team. The running game prevented us from making the playoffs destroying our chance at getting in a Super Bowl.

I'm not saying we need to scrap the passing game, I like our passing game, but anybody who doesn't think a running game would greatly help this team is crazy. Especially after all the third and shorts/goal line situations we haven't been able to pick up.
Old 03-27-2010   #20
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
When you think about it, this is really becoming a 'chicken & egg' argument. The two Super Bowl teams are feared for the deadly efficiency of their passing attacks. So when they run - especially the Colts - it's an effective surprise. Let me put it this way; if the Colts came out in "I" formation and tried to run the ball on the first two downs every time, "to establish the run", would they be as feared as when they line up spread out and no one knows where The Peyton is going with the ball?? I think not.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read