Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-24-2010   #1
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 25411 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Houston Texans on the clock

I did not see this anywhere, so here is the link...
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5022575

Nothing we have not heard before, but a couple of good takes and some surprising praise.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010   #2
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Houston Texans on the clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post

Nothing we have not heard before, but a couple of good takes and some surprising praise.
That was pretty cool. I'm kind of surprised Cushing wasn't mentioned, especially as they talked about needing some nastiness and things "being too comfortable with very nice facilities".

In ant event, I think we all agree, the Texans have to: A) Learn how to win close games, late and B) be waaaaaaay more aggressive and physical.
Old 03-24-2010   #3
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

very well said Bill .. I was very surprised Cushing wasn't mentioned
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010   #4
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2029 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:

Thanks for posting this! I totally missed it.
Old 03-24-2010   #5
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 25411 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
That was pretty cool. I'm kind of surprised Cushing wasn't mentioned, especially as they talked about needing some nastiness and things "being too comfortable with very nice facilities".

In ant event, I think we all agree, the Texans have to: A) Learn how to win close games, late and B) be waaaaaaay more aggressive and physical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
I was as well, but thinking on it, I think they were trying to pump up Demeco as the leader ( which he was) and also that they did not see every game and the passion that Cush plays with. They saw the stats, but really.... a rook as the leader and reason for the dramatic turn around?

I really liked what Dilfer(?) said about needing some toughness. The Texans improved in that area a great deal on defense with the additions of Smith, Pollard, and Cushing. Now it is time for the offense to get nasty!

I just like any positive attention the Texans get. Not so much laughing now...
Old 03-24-2010   #6
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Quote:
I was as well, but thinking on it, I think they were trying to pump up Demeco as the leader ( which he was) and also that they did not see every game and the passion that Cush plays with. They saw the stats, but really.... a rook as the leader and reason for the dramatic turn around?

I really liked what Dilfer(?) said about needing some toughness. The Texans improved in that area a great deal on defense with the additions of Smith, Pollard, and Cushing. Now it is time for the offense to get nasty!

I just like any positive attention the Texans get. Not so much laughing now...

I hear what you're saying. I agree 'Meco is the leader of the defense (hands down). But as you eluded to with Dilfer's comments about toughness is where I think Cush should've been mentioned. He has definitely provided a toughness, a swagger and a tendancy to knock the piss outta people and make a play... I would say the same about Pollard, only they mentioned him.
Old 03-24-2010   #7
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
I hear what you're saying. I agree 'Meco is the leader of the defense (hands down). But as you eluded to with Dilfer's comments about toughness is where I think Cush should've been mentioned. He has definitely provided a toughness, a swagger and a tendancy to knock the piss outta people and make a play... I would say the same about Pollard, only they mentioned him.
Yeah, but most people already know about Cushing. He was the DROY and only rookie to make the second team all-pro.

I don't think they slighting Cushing, but pumping up the others.
Sponsored links
Old 03-24-2010   #8
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Yeah, but most people already know about Cushing. He was the DROY and only rookie to make the second team all-pro.

I don't think they slighting Cushing, but pumping up the others.
And that's cool. I'm down, but by the same token Cush brought some of that toughness they that sorta of made a point about what we lacked. Not that I disagree with them, we do lack toughness, physically and mentally.
Old 03-24-2010   #9
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 147467 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

For me... and I hate to agree with Mel Kiper... but part of that toughness to close out a game comes from having a running game where you can just put it in your guy's hands over and over and just pound the hell out of the other team. We need a running back that we can do that with and we need a line capable of opening those holes.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010   #10
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
For me... and I hate to agree with Mel Kiper... but part of that toughness to close out a game comes from having a running game where you can just put it in your guy's hands over and over and just pound the hell out of the other team. We need a running back that we can do that with and we need a line capable of opening those holes.
Kiper usually ends up more of a prevaricator than prognosticator. The toughness of our players should really come out with an extra year in this D. Once they understood what Smith wanted and expected, the D grew a pretty stiff backbone and looked solid.
Old 03-25-2010   #11
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 229246 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
And that's cool. I'm down, but by the same token Cush brought some of that toughness they that sorta of made a point about what we lacked. Not that I disagree with them, we do lack toughness, physically and mentally.
Not just Cushing but Smith and Pollard also bring it on game day with attitude.
Old 03-25-2010   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 77891 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Dilfer + Kiper = Monumental Fail again by espn
Old 03-25-2010   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Our new mock (BeerLover, RMARTIN65 and Badboy) addresses your desires. Check it out.
Old 03-25-2010   #14
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 147467 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Our new mock (BeerLover, RMARTIN65 and Badboy) addresses your desires. Check it out.
Yep. I saw that and I like it.

And I like that you went with the route I had suggested (although you may not have seen me suggest it) and picked up 2 backs in this draft. I think that's a good idea.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010   #15
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Ya'll stop hating on the great hair that is Mel Kiper jr, he's pretty much single-handidly responsible for letting me know what the NFL draft is, and who the prospects are (not so much where they are going to but hey).
Old 03-25-2010   #16
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Ya'll stop hating on the great hair that is Mel Kiper jr, he's pretty much single-handidly responsible for letting me know what the NFL draft is, and who the prospects are (not so much where they are going to but hey).
Perhaps you mean "heir" instead of "hair"? Personally I didn't think his hair was all that great.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010   #17
Big Lou
"NUK-LEAR"

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 19347 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexCanada View Post
Perhaps you mean "heir" instead of "hair"? Personally I didn't think his hair was all that great.
He (Kiper) ain't got nothin on Jimmy Johnson's hair!!!! Now there is a great head of hair.......
Old 03-25-2010   #18
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

I think a lot of our 2nd half play-calling is very questionable....our line didn't do us any favors but they didnt call the halfback pass or a basic run up the gut to lose the game against Arizona...Kubiak is a schizophrenic play-caller, he never calls a complete game.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010   #19
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
I think a lot of our 2nd half play-calling is very questionable....our line didn't do us any favors but they didnt call the halfback pass or a basic run up the gut to lose the game against Arizona...Kubiak is a schizophrenic play-caller, he never calls a complete game.
But Kubiak wasn't calling the plays last year...
Old 03-25-2010   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yep. I saw that and I like it.

And I like that you went with the route I had suggested (although you may not have seen me suggest it) and picked up 2 backs in this draft. I think that's a good idea.
We have already run into some doubt from posters on that idea. ALso, I am not totally against drafting a Slaton type speedy back. I just like the idea of a back that can make power runs through the middle and wear a defense down. That type will take a pounding and therefor Bell & TG. I am hoping SS will return healthy and productive. A reduction in his attempts probably benefits him.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read