Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-23-2010   #1
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Should Bob listen to this?

Dolphins | Ross not limiting Parcells' spending
Comment (0)
Mon, 22 Mar 2010 19:02:07 -0700

Tim Graham, of ESPN.com, reports Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross said he does not get involved in even the biggest decisions about his cash with the organization. Ross said, "I'm putting my money with (vice president of football operations) Bill Parcells and our organization. Nobody bats 1.000. I just look at the bottom line and end results and where we are and what we're spending. The results are in the won-loss record." Ross added, "I don't try to micromanage him. You can't look at every dollar you spend. One thing I found out: Sports is different than business. From a businessman, when it comes to what you do for paying players, you have to have a little different discipline than you'd otherwise have."

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz0j0QKcVZR
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #2
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon
Default Re: Should Bob listen to this?

Bob wouldn't even pony up the money to pay Parcells much less give him the money that Parcells wants to spend on players. Not a good analogy.

When you hire Parcells, you have to realize that he is smarter than you and that he is going to want to get who he wants and he doesn't want to get nickel and dimed like Bob has a tendency to do.

Rest assured, if Parcells had a hole at CB and RB and had been forced to get rid of a $10-12 million dollar contract (Dunta), he wouldn't be sitting on his hands and ignoring the problems like our current management is. He would address the issues at least temporarily, and then go into the draft without so many damn needs.

It sounds like the new Miami ownership group gets it...maybe one day Bob will.

but good luck with Reeves as your #1 CB, McNair. Thats gonna work out real well.
Old 03-23-2010   #3
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 103838 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey, another post about Bob and money. To my surprise, the resident knee-jerk GM is the first to respond. How quaint
Old 03-23-2010   #4
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

truth hurts. reeves is our #1 db. you can't spin that and its that way because we wouldn't pay the money to either keep Dunta or lure another player away.

if you want to spin that and act like everything is fine, that is your prerogative.

if you want to blame Smith for not replacing Dunta, fine. if you want to blame Kubiak for not replacing Dunta, fine. I just happen to blame Bob for not replacing him because it was a $$ decision.

but Bob can put that $12 million into his pocket and not put it back into the team...I am sure that will improve the team.

you can act like I am a jerk about Bob, but I am just telling the truth. The Texans didn't improve this offseason. They got worse. How is that good?

Yeah, we might help ourselves in the draft but we had enough holes going into this offseason than to have ourselves create another one by releasing Dunta and not paying the Dunta money to someone else to replace him. now we have ANOTHER hole to fill in the draft.

How is that good? Oh thats right, Bob brough football back to Houston as charity so he gets a pass. After all, he has only made about a $500 million return on his investment so far. He needs to watch his bottom line...while watch the team bottom out...again.

This smells like the 7-9 offseason that lead to the 2-14 season. Don't say I didn't warn ya.
Old 03-23-2010   #5
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

-Or- Another version

Old 03-23-2010   #6
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

its kinda funny that you can't defend Bob's actions so you just try and act like I am going off the deep end on this.

let me repeat TB, Reeves is now our #1 CB. the draft isn't going to change that. scrapheap free agency isn't going to change that. but we only have Peyton Manning in our division, we don't need a corner. After all, we already drafted Mario to beat Peyton and we all know how well that has worked out for us....

but dunta wrote on his shoes and he held out of camp, so losing him is good even though he wasn't replaced.

yeah, thats some winning logic there. sometimes the truth hurts, bill....but blaming me for hitting the wakeup call isn't going to not make Reeves our #1 CB.
Old 03-23-2010   #7
BIG TORO 
TERADACTYL #23

Section: Bull Pen!
Rep Power: 17946 BIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
truth hurts. reeves is our #1 db. you can't spin that and its that way because we wouldn't pay the money to either keep Dunta or lure another player away.

if you want to spin that and act like everything is fine, that is your prerogative.

if you want to blame Smith for not replacing Dunta, fine. if you want to blame Kubiak for not replacing Dunta, fine. I just happen to blame Bob for not replacing him because it was a $$ decision.

but Bob can put that $12 million into his pocket and not put it back into the team...I am sure that will improve the team.

you can act like I am a jerk about Bob, but I am just telling the truth. The Texans didn't improve this offseason. They got worse. How is that good?

Yeah, we might help ourselves in the draft but we had enough holes going into this offseason than to have ourselves create another one by releasing Dunta and not paying the Dunta money to someone else to replace him. now we have ANOTHER hole to fill in the draft.

How is that good? Oh thats right, Bob brough football back to Houston as charity so he gets a pass. After all, he has only made about a $500 million return on his investment so far. He needs to watch his bottom line...while watch the team bottom out...again.

This smells like the 7-9 offseason that lead to the 2-14 season. Don't say I didn't warn ya.
As chelsea handler would say"Why you so angry girl?"

Sig Courtesy of False Start
BIG TORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-23-2010   #8
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG TORO View Post
As chelsea handler would say"Why you so angry girl?"
because the Texans didn't improve this offseason in FA and in fact, got worse.

but Bob is a ggggrrrreeeeaaaatttt owner.....yeah right. oh and when you don't have football in 2011 you can thank Bob for that too. he is the hardliner of the hardline owners in these labor non-talks.

*rolls eyes*
Old 03-23-2010   #9
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
its kinda funny that you can't defend Bob's actions so you just try and act like I am going off the deep end on this.

let me repeat TB, Reeves is now our #1 CB. the draft isn't going to change that. scrapheap free agency isn't going to change that. but we only have Peyton Manning in our division, we don't need a corner. After all, we already drafted Mario to beat Peyton and we all know how well that has worked out for us....

but dunta wrote on his shoes and he held out of camp, so losing him is good even though he wasn't replaced.

yeah, thats some winning logic there. sometimes the truth hurts, bill....but blaming me for hitting the wakeup call isn't going to not make Reeves our #1 CB.
Let me just ask for the sake of asking: a) Was Dunta worth 12 million and b) Would you feel great about going into next year with Dunta as our number 1 corner?

If the answer is yes to both, then fine, complain. But personally, I don't think he was worth the 12 million, and I think he was an average number 1 corner last year.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #10
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Dunta has had more than his share of chances to contribute to wins against Peyton Manning. Maybe now it will make it harder for Peyton Manning on 3rd and 13 since he won't have the reliable "throw it up in the air and get a Pass Interference courtesy of Dunta play"
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #11
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Picture representation that Second Honeymoon has no idea what he/she speaks of:

Yeah, bob doesn't spend money. Also, the moon is made of cheese and elvis is still alive.

Last edited by b0ng; 03-23-2010 at 11:21 AM.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #12
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Dude, seriously you're a broken record. You think Bob is cheap because he didn't waste $12 mill on an average cornerback. You think he's cheap because he hasn't thrown ridiculous money into free agency...

News flash Mr. Braniac, what does it say to you when an average (at best) cornerback is the biggest free agent on the market?? What it says is that this season's crop of free agents SUCK!!!

Don't even bother replying, because I (and everyone else who's been a member for more than a week) already know what your response will be.

For the record, I will take my chances with Petey Reeves and Petey Quinn over paying that douche.bag $12 mill. Dude, can't cover, misses tackles and makes no plays. How many picks does cat have? 13 in 7 seasons.... Oh yeah, 6 of those came his rookie season. Phillip Buchanon thinks Dunta sucks.
Old 03-23-2010   #13
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
because the Texans didn't improve this offseason in FA and in fact, got worse.

but Bob is a ggggrrrreeeeaaaatttt owner.....yeah right. oh and when you don't have football in 2011 you can thank Bob for that too. he is the hardliner of the hardline owners in these labor non-talks.

*rolls eyes*
There were next to no free agents on the market that would improve our secondary for a decent price. Over-paying people is how you set your team up for failure for years to come. It is quite possible that our team didn't improve this year, and that we will once again be sitting just outside of playoffs, but I would rather have that then to have D-Rob locked down with a huge contract.

Patience, smart spending and good scouting are what makes a good franchise, not paying free agents large sums of money.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #14
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
Let me just ask for the sake of asking: a) Was Dunta worth 12 million and b) Would you feel great about going into next year with Dunta as our number 1 corner?

If the answer is yes to both, then fine, complain. But personally, I don't think he was worth the 12 million, and I think he was an average number 1 corner last year.
in an uncapped year with no strings attached or long term guarantees, Dunta would be worth $12 million to keep him....especially if you aren't going to put the $12 you saved back into the club.

i don't care how much a player makes for the most part, i just care if the team is improving. this move may have made Bob more profit, but it didn't improve the product on the field. and yes I would feel MUCH better with Dunta as our #1 as opposed to moving everyoen up the depth chart. If our secondary was so bad last year, how is it going to get better by dropping our best corner? magic?

trust me, i get what you are saying about him not playing up to his contract, but that stuff happens. you gotta pay to play and this team's secondary is in shambles now more than it was before. just paying him the money to keep him for one year wouldn't have hurt at all, and we could have had less holes going into the draft. how is that stinkin' thinkin'?
Old 03-23-2010   #15
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 97370 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

problem is SH you pay Dunta 12 million, how much do you think a real shut down corner is going to cost?
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #16
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Dude, seriously you're a broken record. You think Bob is cheap because he didn't waste $12 mill on an average cornerback. You think he's cheap because he hasn't thrown ridiculous money into free agency...

News flash Mr. Braniac, what does it say to you when an average (at best) cornerback is the biggest free agent on the market?? What it says is that this season's crop of free agents SUCK!!!

Don't even bother replying, because I (and everyone else who's been a member for more than a week) already know what your response will be.

For the record, I will take my chances with Petey Reeves and Petey Quinn over paying that douche.bag $12 mill. Dude, can't cover, misses tackles and makes no plays. How many picks does cat have? 13 in 7 seasons.... Oh yeah, 6 of those came his rookie season. Phillip Buchanon thinks Dunta sucks.
whatever man, we know your peepee hurts because I am calling Bob out for being cheap and not retaining our best corner. its obvious that with a lot of you its personal regarding Dunta. I get that, but keep homering for your charity boy Bob. He just gave you 9-7. start the parade. and after all he donated $700 million to bring football back...oh wait he didn't donate it...and oh wait, now the team is worth nearly 1.2 billion. That is only $500 million increase in 7 years...if that is charity, I want some of that stuff.

yeah but Dunta sucks....too bad the rest of the NFL (i.e. people smarter than you) don't agree with you.
Old 03-23-2010   #17
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

In before "I'm so persecuted because I speak the truth".
Old 03-23-2010   #18
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 97370 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

for the record, I want to see the sum of the parts before I blast Bob.

Demeco still needs a contract and frankly Pollard was A LOT more valuable to that secondary than Dunta is or ever was)
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #19
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexCanada View Post
There were next to no free agents on the market that would improve our secondary for a decent price. Over-paying people is how you set your team up for failure for years to come. It is quite possible that our team didn't improve this year, and that we will once again be sitting just outside of playoffs, but I would rather have that then to have D-Rob locked down with a huge contract.

Patience, smart spending and good scouting are what makes a good franchise, not paying free agents large sums of money.
I didn't want to lock up Dunta to a longterm deal. We held the cards and could have had him for another year with no strings attached.

how does that screw us in the long term? how does that affect the salary cap? newsflash, no cap in 2010....but in order to maximize profit the Texans are acting as if there is a cap in place.
Old 03-23-2010   #20
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
In before "I'm so persecuted because I speak the truth".
make another avatar about Mario...if you want to talk about overpaid just look Mario's way....

...but he was drafted to beat Peyton and the Colts...thats worked out real well for us.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read