Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-23-2010   #1
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans draft needs

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1...ack-needed-too

Anything is worth reading in the offseason. O thought it interesting that there was no mention of Pitts or that they thought Pollard doesn't run all that well. He looked good running for a pick 6 last I saw.
Old 03-23-2010   #2
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans draft needs

I agree with him on most things, CB is our biggest need and replacing Dunta should be our highest priority, and we do have need at RB as well. There's no mention of Pitts because he's not on the team any more and is really only average when he is. This article is really short and pretty generic, there's not much detail here but that's to be expected from an outsider who's writing to everyone instead of the locals.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #3
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Any complaints about Pollard's 09 season is mega nitpicking. He was nothing but an angel sent to the Texans by the Gods of Defense.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #4
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Any complaints about Pollard's 09 season is mega nitpicking. He was nothing but an angel sent to the Texans by the Gods of Defense.
^^^^What he said.^^^^
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010   #5
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209005 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
LOL, good post there. Now the God of Defense need to guide the Texans in selecting a good CB in the draft!

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010   #6
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 46441 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He was nothing but an angel sent to the Texans by the Gods of Defense.
Same way we acquired Cush.
Old 03-29-2010   #7
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
OL: Right tackle Eric Winston is the best player on the line, but left tackle Duane Brown needs to play better, especially in pass protection. He is in his third year, so it's time. The starting guards last year were young, aggressive players in Mike Brisiel, Kasey Studdard and Antoine Caldwell. The Texans signed Wade Smith as a free agent and he will get a crack inside. Center Chris Myers struggles with bigger nose tackles and Caldwell could factor in there as well.
So if we'd spent draft capitol and moved up for Clady I think his issue with Brown would be legitimate. But we didn't. We drafted the the sixth best OLT in the class. It was a good class. And we'd already destroyed one young QB. Duane Brown is what he is. And I have seen no one on here in the last eight years advocating that we move up to get one, an elite left tackle. So we are what we are at the tackles. So Studdard by some formula I have never heard of gets a quarter of a million performance bonus, which means someone at the NFL head quarters agrees with me and Studdard is more than just a "back up". The guy calls the rest of our young pivot men good. So why can't we run the ball ? Y'all don't and won't like it, but if they like Iupati, he's going to be the pick if he falls to them. Iupati just solves too many problems for them to pass up. He finishes, hopefully for the next ten years, the offensive line. And that's worth all the corners and all the running backs they will have a chance to pick over the next ten years in the draft. He'll make everyone on the o-line better. The sum total of the group will out distance each individual player's abilities.
Old 03-29-2010   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
So Studdard by some formula I have never heard of gets a quarter of a million performance bonus, which means someone at the NFL head quarters agrees with me and Studdard is more than just a "back up".
The formula involves salary and snaps played and does not include merit of play on those snaps.
Old 03-31-2010   #9
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Even though we have chosen DT (mostly unsuccessfully) so many times, it is one position (a dominant large NT) that could effectively transform the entire state of our D. I've had my eye on Tennessee's Dan Williams for a long time.

Here's an interesting take on why this one pick would serve the Texans well.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Even though we have chosen DT (mostly unsuccessfully) so many times, it is one position (a dominant large NT) that could effectively transform the entire state of our D. I've had my eye on Tennessee's Dan Williams for a long time.

Unfortunately the Texans disagree with you & me and the way the pretty much shut down the run says we are wrong and they are right. I hate it when that happens!
Old 03-31-2010   #11
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Unfortunately the Texans disagree with you & me and the way the pretty much shut down the run says we are wrong and they are right. I hate it when that happens!
The run is not why you you want a big athletic NT. It's as much, if not more, for the pass rush. With the ability to stuff the middle AND/OR rush the QB, he would be there to free up others..........the other DT, the DEs, open up lanes for LB and safety blitzes, and cut short the secondary's "cover" time.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010   #12
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The run is not why you you want a big athletic NT. It's as much, if not more, for the pass rush. With the ability to stuff the middle AND/OR rush the QB, he would be there to free up others..........the other DT, the DEs, open up lanes for LB and safety blitzes, and cut short the secondary's "cover" time.
His point remains though, it is obviously not the Texans plan to draft a big DT.

I also think a big DT would help against the run, for much the same reasons as with the pass. In short, a big, strong, athletic DT is great for the defense.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010   #13
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I think real good ones that can impact in their rookie year or provide just as much impact as a 1st round DT will be there in the later rounds too though. Anyone outside of Suh doesn't show me anything better than BJ Raji or even Dorsey looked when they were being drafted. For that kind of impact I'd take a DT in the later rounds.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010   #14
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
The formula involves salary and snaps played and does not include merit of play on those snaps.
never saw the guy miss a block on the second level once a play got there. Not one. all year.
Old 04-03-2010   #15
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I want Williams too but I'm wondering if he will even be there at 20. He is the 3rd best dt behind Suh and McCoy and both of those guys will be gone in the top 3 picks of the draft leaving Williams having to make it through the next 16 picks to get to us.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read