Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-22-2010   #1
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1028 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default [CHRONIC] Five first round prospects for the Texans

http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootba...pects_for.html

Kyle Wilson

Ryan Mathews

Joe Haden

Mike Iupati

Devin McCourty

Open the link to read LZ's article.

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010   #2
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 53272 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: [CHRONIC] Five first round prospects for the Texans

Hell no to McCourty. The guy is not a first round prospect.

1) Joe Haden
2) Kyle Wilson
3) Mike Iupati
4) Ryan Mathews
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #3
Lucky

Rep Power: 103975 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

From LZ's blog linked above:

Quote:
Ryan Mathews

Negatives: He hasn't been asked to carry a full load other than this year and his level of competition was suspect. He caught the ball well at the Senior Bowl practices, but has only 19 career receptions so he's inexperienced in passing game. While he has good burst, his top-end speed isn't as good as his 40 time would have you believe and he isn't likely to be a big "home-run hitter".
Mathews plays in the WAC, but he did average 140 yards rushing in 2 road games versus Big 10 opponents this season. Not sure what he was doing catching passes at Senior Bowl practices, as he was a junior. And I have to respectfully disagree on Mathews home run ability, as he peeled off (7) 50+ yard TDs this season. Only Spiller would rank ahead of Mathews in terms of big play potential.

I would have to think the Texans would at least consider Dan Williams or Brian Price in the 1st round. Possibly even Taylor Mays. I'm not seeing Kubiak and Smith reaching for a project like Iupati. And these 3 CBs really don't fit the Texans size profile, though Haden might be too good to pass on.

If I were to rank 5 players as potential Texans 1st round picks at this moment:

1) Ryan Mathews
2) Dan Williams
3) Taylor Mays
4) Joe Haden
5) Brian Price
Old 03-23-2010   #4
LikeMike
All Pro

Rep Power: 9210 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Those would be my 5 players:

1. Kyle Wilson
2. Earl Thomas
3. Ryan Matthews
4. Dan Williams
5. Taylor Mays

Haden will be gone by our pick, and I don`t think we`ll go with Iupati (although I could live with that). Brian Price has an outside chance, but I think Dan Williams is the only DT we`d consider in the 1st.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #5
LZ
Veteran

Rep Power: 5396 LZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
Those would be my 5 players:

1. Kyle Wilson
2. Earl Thomas
3. Ryan Matthews
4. Dan Williams
5. Taylor Mays

Haden will be gone by our pick, and I don`t think we`ll go with Iupati (although I could live with that). Brian Price has an outside chance, but I think Dan Williams is the only DT we`d consider in the 1st.
I didn't include Williams and Thomas because I think they will definitely be gone. I just don't think Mays has the instincts you want at FS if you are going to be playing Pollard at SS. Williams would probably be a top 3 choice for me if he's on the board. Earl Thomas might be my first choice.
LZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #6
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZ View Post
I didn't include Williams and Thomas because I think they will definitely be gone. I just don't think Mays has the instincts you want at FS if you are going to be playing Pollard at SS. Williams would probably be a top 3 choice for me if he's on the board. Earl Thomas might be my first choice.
Lance, can you and any other mock draft writers you know start creating lots of mock drafts that all have Earl Thomas dropping into the low twenties? If the collective minds of all the mock drafters around the nation start slating him lower than he is really worth, maybe his stock will artificially fall so that the Texans can grab him at 20! You could have the power to influence the NFL draft!

Old 03-23-2010   #7
Spled
All Pro

Rep Power: 51 Spled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respected

Mike Mayock has Thomas rated over Eric Berry.
Spled is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-23-2010   #8
LikeMike
All Pro

Rep Power: 9210 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZ View Post
I have a good feeling, that at least one of the 2 will be there...

With Mays I just love his potential! Of course he could be a bust, but with his speed and athletic nature he could be a homerun for us. And Cushing thinks pretty higly of him, so that`s a plus as well.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #9
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spled View Post
Mike Mayock has Thomas rated over Eric Berry.
I love Thomas and hope he falls to 20 but to rate Thomas over Berry is crazy.

Monte Kiffin said Berry has the potential to be te best S he ever coached. He said that last year and no I dont have a link.

Kiffin coached a guy named John Lynch who in his prime wasn't to bad. If I recall correctly.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #10
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1964 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I love Thomas and hope he falls to 20 but to rate Thomas over Berry is crazy.

Monte Kiffin said Berry has the potential to be te best S he ever coached. He said that last year and no I dont have a link.

Kiffin coached a guy named John Lynch who in his prime wasn't to bad. If I recall correctly.
Yes he said it in his pregame interviews with the annoincers of the Vols game on ESPN.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010   #11
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=Lucky;1388251]From LZ's blog linked above:

Quote:
Mathews plays in the WAC, but he did average 140 yards rushing in 2 road games versus Big 10 opponents this season. Not sure what he was doing catching passes at Senior Bowl practices, as he was a junior. And I have to respectfully disagree on Mathews home run ability, as he peeled off (7) 50+ yard TDs this season. Only Spiller would rank ahead of Mathews in terms of big play potential.
I agree on this. Although I'm not a fan of going after him in the first round, I am a fan of BPA and Earl Thomas, and Kyle Wilson are gone by the time we pick.
Talking about level of competition is really not a factor. LT, who many see Matthews has the same style as, came from TCU who hardly played anybody then and he basically put them on the map. He even came out of an option style offense.
Matthews has great vision and looks to be a fit for the ZBS. Also we have to remember that right now, a guy like Matthews is going to be the 3rd and short guy while we have three guys with starter experience in Slaton, Foster, and even Moats.

Quote:
I would have to think the Texans would at least consider Dan Williams or Brian Price in the 1st round. Possibly even Taylor Mays. I'm not seeing Kubiak and Smith reaching for a project like Iupati. And these 3 CBs really don't fit the Texans size profile, though Haden might be too good to pass on.
I don't like the idea of a DT in round one. I believe the only sure thing DT is Suh and the others can produce the same as the 1st round prospects in later rounds.

I would find it hard as well to pass on Haden if he falls to us and Kyle Wilson, Earl Thomas, and Matthews are gone.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read