Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-05-2005   #1
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153410 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Trent Dilfer Traded to the Browns

Browns | Dilfer Coming Onboard - from www.KFFL.com
Sat, 5 Mar 2005 15:20:56 -0800

Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports the Cleveland Browns and Seattle Seahawks have agreed in principle on a deal that will send Seahawks QB Trent Dilfer to the Browns in exchange for what is believed to be a fourth- or fifth-round pick in the 2005 NFL Draft. It is also believed the Browns will attempt to re-work Dilfer's current contract.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005   #2
Rosusu
All Pro

Holcombe or Dilfer.....I rather have holcombe. Doesnt really make much sense to me to get a washed up Dilfer. He hasnt really done much in his career. The superbowl was not him at all anybody could of been their quarterback, it was all the defense.
Old 03-05-2005   #3
LikeABoss
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 LikeABoss seems to be losing the respect of his peers
Cool

I guess they plan on making Dilfer the starter and drafting a Qb to groom for the starters position later down the road

IMO, it gives them their best oppourtunity to at least win 5 or more games with Dilfer at Qb. I just wonder if they plan on trading down in the draft to take Rodgers or Smith though
Old 03-05-2005   #4
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosusu
Holcombe or Dilfer.....I rather have holcombe. Doesnt really make much sense to me to get a washed up Dilfer. He hasnt really done much in his career. The superbowl was not him at all anybody could of been their quarterback, it was all the defense.
Couple of points here. Holcombe was signed by the Bills earlier on in FA. As far as Romeo Crennell signing Dilfer I think it's a good move. Jeff Garcia is gone, and so is Holcombe and Couch. They're left with McCown, and Dilfer will be a great veteran QB who can serve as a mentor to McCown and whatever young QB they pick up in the draft. As far as any QB being able to take the Ravens to the SB I think Elvis Grbac would have a different opinion. He was the starting QB after Dilfer was let go after the SB victory, and he had the same defense that Dilfer did but didn't have the same success. Dilfer isn't flashy and he doesn't have a cannon for an arm, but he doesn't turn the ball over and he runs the offense efficiently. Sound familiar? He'll be a nice pickup for the Browns.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005   #5
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 29181 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

Didn't Jamal Lewis get injured for the season when Grbac took over?
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005   #6
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

Since Kelly Holcomb became scared at his first chance of being the starter, this had to happen. bringing in the guy who won't lose games is for the best.
Old 03-06-2005   #7
Rosusu
All Pro

Elvis was a sub par quarterback. I was more saying that any average QB could of done the job with the way that defense was playing. I thought that they released holcombe, but I could be mistaken (probably am). I guess I am just not a fan of Dilfer for some reason. I just think his career is a tick away from being over and I dont think you should be rebuilding a team around players who are past their prime. I am saying this if Dilfer is going to be the starter, if he is not then I think he is a solid back up and mentor for who ever they go after.
Old 03-06-2005   #8
LikeABoss
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 LikeABoss seems to be losing the respect of his peers
Lightbulb

^^The year before Grbac went to the Ravens, he had a pro bowl year with the Chiefs. The Ravens FO thought they were upgrading the position when they choose Grbac over Dilfer and they both were UFAs that offseason.
Old 03-06-2005   #9
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

dilfer or holcombe i'd rather have dilfer...this guy has a superbowl ring and was a superbowl winning QB...holcombe has been a journeyman qb at best
Old 03-06-2005   #10
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosusu
I just think his career is a tick away from being over and I dont think you should be rebuilding a team around players who are past their prime.
Come on now, no one is rebuilding around him. He probably will be the starter, but that's jsut a stop gap for Charlie Frye
Old 03-07-2005   #11
dan7
Veteran

Arrow Dilfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Browns | Dilfer Coming Onboard - from www.KFFL.com
Sat, 5 Mar 2005 15:20:56 -0800

Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports the Cleveland Browns and Seattle Seahawks have agreed in principle on a deal that will send Seahawks QB Trent Dilfer to the Browns in exchange for what is believed to be a fourth- or fifth-round pick in the 2005 NFL Draft. It is also believed the Browns will attempt to re-work Dilfer's current contract.
Lots of Seahawk fans are upset about this development!
Old 03-07-2005   #12
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Anybody think they don't take a QB @ #3 now?
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005   #13
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I think there is a chance depending on how they have Smith and Rogers graded out. They could pick up a guy like Fry or Fitzpatrick in the later rounds. They still have McCown, and Dilfer can serve as a stop gap.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read