Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-20-2010   #1
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default GM Ole Miss Texan's (unrealistic) Offseason Plan

First off let me start by saying, I think there is a 0.01% chance of this happening - and that doesn't bother me one bit. IMO, this may NOT be the best thing for the long term success of the team, but would guarantee (barring key injuries) playoffs this year, no ifs ands or buts about it. Just thought I'd have some fun on this "lovely" saturday morning.

Offseason Happenings:
Let Dunta Robinson walk (signed with ATL).
Release: WR Andre Davis, Chris White, Ryan Moats, Frank Okam
Re-signings: DT Deljuan Robinson, SS Bernard Pollard, LG Chester Pitts, LS Bryan Pittman
FA Signings: Wade Smith C/G, Cory Redding DT

Dunta is self explanatory as is Wade Smith (provides quality depth, possible starter). White, Moats, Okam get beat out and there's no room for them. Davis gets replaced and is paid too much for what he contributes. Deljuan and Pitts provide quality depth at the very least, Pollard gets an extension and Pittman is our LS. Cory Redding signs with us to come back to his hometown Houston. Redding starts at DT and can rotate between DT/DE like Antonio Smith. We have to pressure the opposing QB.

Trades:
Trade Jacoby Jones + 5th round pick to Carolina for Deangelo Williams.
- Reasoning: Rick Smith has Marshall in mind and more importantly, we NEED a RB. Everyone knows Kubiak likes Deangelo, he would be a great fit here giving us a RB corps of Deangelo, Slaton and Foster. Hurts giving up Jacoby + a draft pick but this allows us to address another position early in the draft.

Trade 1st round pick to Denver for Brandon Marshall.
- Reasoning: Marshall seems to be a bit of a headcase but he's a player. It seems that (a) he and Andre get along well, but I could be making that up and (b) he and Matt Schaub looked GREAT together in the Pro Bowl. I think Marshall's attitude would be in good form if he came to Houston. Although he wouldn't be #1, I think he would love to catch the ball from Schaub, play with Andre, and be on the #1 Offense in the league (I said it).

Draft:
1st - pick used in trade to Denver for Brandon Marshall
2nd - Mike Johnson LG Alabama
3rd - Javier Arenas CB/KR/PR Alabama
4th - Jay Ross DT East Carolina
5th - pick used in trade with Carolina for Deangelo Williams
6th - Brian Jackson CB/FS Oklahoma
6th - Adam Ulatoski OT/OG Texas
7th - James Starks RB Buffalo

Mike Johnson comes in and either sits behind Pitts a few games or starts at LG immediately. Javier Arenas is our nickle corner (Quin/Reeves start) and replaces Jacoby as our Returner, where he is excellent. Jay Ross is a DT that can contribute immediately in the rotation. Can hold up the run and pressure the QB. Jackson is the 2nd corner we take and primarily plays ST and sits behind Wilson. He will eventually take over at FS. Ulatoski is a versatile OLman that provides depth and replaces Studdard. Starks is "bigger" running back that sits on the practice squad during the season.

Depth Chart:
QB: Matt Schaub, Dan Orlovsky
RB: Deangelo Williams, Steve Slaton, Arian Foster
FB: Vonta Leach
WR: Andre Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Kevin Walter, David Anderson, Glenn Martinez
TE: Owen Daniels, Joel Dreessen, James Casey, Anthony Hill
OT: Duane Brown, Eric Winston, Rashad Butler
OG: Chester Pitts, Antoine Caldwell, Mike Johnson, Mike Brisiel, Adam Ulatoski
C: Chris Myers, Wade Smith

DE: Mario Williams, Antonio Smith, Connor Barwin, Tim Bulman, Jesse Nading
DT: Cory Redding, Amobi Okoye, Shaun Cody, Jay Ross, Deljuan Robinson
LB: Demeco Ryans, Brian Cushing, Zac Diles, Kevin Bentley, Xavier Adibi
CB: Glover Quin, Jacques Reeves, Javier Arenas, Brice McCain, Antwaun Molden, Fred Bennett
FS: Eugene Wilson, Brian Jackson
SS: Bernard Pollard, Dominique Barber

K: Kris Brown
P: Matt Turk
LS: Bryan Pittman
KR/PR: Javier Arenas

Practice Squad: Jeremiah Johnson, James Starks, Mark Parson, Adam Stenavich, Troy Nolan, Brett Helms
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010   #2
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 129410 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: GM Ole Miss Texan's (unrealistic) Offseason Plan

Why in the world would Carolina be willing to trade Deangelo Williams for a low 5th round pick and Jones?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010   #3
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Our secondary would still blow chunks, and give up huge chunks of yardage with their massive cushions on short yardage.
Old 03-20-2010   #4
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

I know the title says unrealistic but a fifth round pick and Jacoby Jones for Williams is one of the worst trade proposals I have seen.
Old 03-20-2010   #5
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
I know the title says unrealistic but a fifth round pick and Jacoby Jones for Williams is one of the worst trade proposals I have seen.
Totally agree, just took it from a discussion in another thread.
Old 03-20-2010   #6
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

LOL @ the Panthers letting us fleece them like that!!!
Old 03-20-2010   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll hit a minor point. If OD is healthy there is no need for Pittman. Dreesen was pulling long snapping duty just fine. They only re-signed Pittman when Dreesen had to become the starter and they wanted to reduce his load.

More major point, while Marshall and AJ would be great together and instantly become hands down the best duo in the league I don't think Marshall will be happy as a #2 and anyone playing opposite AJ needs to understand that's going to be their role.
Old 03-20-2010   #8
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
I really have no rebuttal. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense for them but I went with it. That trade was proposed (however unrealistic it is) and I went on to what else would I do to make the team better and before I knew it, I had wasted WAY too much time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I'll hit a minor point. If OD is healthy there is no need for Pittman. Dreesen was pulling long snapping duty just fine. They only re-signed Pittman when Dreesen had to become the starter and they wanted to reduce his load.

More major point, while Marshall and AJ would be great together and instantly become hands down the best duo in the league I don't think Marshall will be happy as a #2 and anyone playing opposite AJ needs to understand that's going to be their role.
Good point on the Pittman comment. I wasn't sure how all that went down. And if Dreessen was doing well then it definitely saves a roster spot.

Agree with the Marshall comment too. I was really banking on him thinking about how good he was with Matt Schaub throwing to him. He'd be #2, which he wouldn't want to be, but I was hoping if it was #2 to Andre Johnson and this would pretty much guarantee the #1 passing attack (or offense) in the league: Schaub - Andre, Marshall, Daniels and Walter then he'd be willing to do it for a legit championship possibility. Or even possibly be a part of one of the best offenses in the history of the NFL. Maybe I'm being a tad presumptuous (spelling?).
Old 03-20-2010   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

oh dear, what happened to Ole Miss
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010   #10
redwhiteANDblue
Color of Texans

Rep Power: 5007 redwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respected

Why does everyone want Jacoby traded all the time
redwhiteANDblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010   #11
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
oh dear, what happened to Ole Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteANDblue View Post
Why does everyone want Jacoby traded all the time
Because he's a tradeable asset. Developing as a deep threat WR and has excellent return skills. Kubiak's patience is wearing thin (my opinion, not necessarily fact) and it wouldn't surprise me if he's off the team next year due to contract or attitude/work ethic, etc. This is the last year on his contract. I'm a big believer of trading someone while you can get value for him before he hits free agency (if you feel confident you can replace him and he won't be back). For what it's worth I am a fan of Jacoby and was supportive of the pick. I knew he was a developmental pick and yes, I knew who he was and Lane College before the draft
Old 03-20-2010   #12
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think the Panthers would trade Deangelo for Adrian Peterson let alone Jacoby and a 5th
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010   #13
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

The whole thing sounds awful to me. I see disaster in this idea, not playoffs.
Old 03-20-2010   #14
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Really??? This is a franchise that signed HWSRN as their saviour (well according to their fans, anyway)
Old 03-20-2010   #15
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Really??? This is a franchise that signed HWSRN as their saviour (well according to their fans, anyway)
Yeah, but they didn't have to give up a stud RB to do it. We screwed ourselves and just let him walk with no compensation.
Old 03-20-2010   #16
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Yeah, but they didn't have to give up a stud RB to do it. We screwed ourselves and just let him walk with no compensation.
I guess that makes me a damn good GM then! LOL
Old 03-21-2010   #17
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I guess that makes me a damn good GM then! LOL
Dude... You rock!!! So much more you - over SecondHoneymoon!!!

Old 03-21-2010   #18
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I haven't even been on my third honeymoon yet. Darn.
Old 03-21-2010   #19
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 48384 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Brandon Marshall is OK. He's no AJ, not by a long shot. We aready have a strong WR Corp.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read