Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-20-2010   #1
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Outsider's View

Quote:
The key to Houstonís offense was Matt Schaubís chemistry with his receivers. Andre Johnson was the best wideout in football. And, before blowing out his knee, Owen Daniels was the best tight end. Daniels wasnít a dominant blocker, but his soft hands and route running made him lethal in the pass game.
Link

This is one of the best write ups I have seen on the Texans. Sad it has to come from a yankee.
Old 03-20-2010   #2
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 40960 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Outsider's View

Nice read, but I think he is too high on DR.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010   #3
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Great read.

Quote:
G.M. Rick Smith was foolish to let free agent Dunta Robinson walk away.
Nope, Robinson was a shadow of his former self. Hopefully we draft a CB that has an immediate impact like Cushing had last year.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010   #4
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Definitely a good article. Thanks.

He seems to think rather highly of Robinson and his departure. I think I agree with him. Leigh Bodden may not be a Dunta Robinson. This's years RB FAs may have been an aging group but we're left hanging in the draft looking for more specific needs in the draft. I believe BPA somewhat will give in to need for the Texans this year. We have 4 areas that need a lot of help, secondary, interior DL, interior OL, and RB. Almost all 4 positions need help in both starting and depth.

We really could have used FA this year and I believe it'll come back to haunt us. We're left with relying on the draft and training camp cuts to form our team.

Go Texans!

Old 03-20-2010   #5
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

DRob got burned lots last season.
Old 03-20-2010   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Calling Dunta elite was certainly over the top. I'm middle of the road on Dunta. He was not a playmaker. He had to give everything he had to coverage or he was going to get burned so he didn't jump routes or create plays. He was not the crap CB some folks make him out to be due to his contract negotiations either. Dunta would be a really good #2. But at the price he got like a pro-bowl #1 CB you let him go.
Old 03-20-2010   #7
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 40960 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Calling Dunta elite was certainly over the top. I'm middle of the road on Dunta. He was not a playmaker. He had to give everything he had to coverage or he was going to get burned so he didn't jump routes or create plays. He was not the crap CB some folks make him out to be due to his contract negotiations either. Dunta would be a really good #2. But at the price he got like a pro-bowl #1 CB you let him go.
That is pretty much how I felt. It seems to me that Dunta used to be at his best in press coverage. But after the injury, he had to give a big cushion and still got burned with underneath moves and could not support the run quite as well.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-20-2010   #8
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
The Colts played the in the SB with rookie corners. Having a player like Dunte for the money he wanted is not a good idea. You'd just have to let him go to start someone else in their second or third season and I'd rather have a CB who is going to grow and just might be a probowler in his third or fourth season. And maybe pick up a vet who is cut during training camp.
Old 03-20-2010   #9
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Not to turn this into a D-Rob thread, but the guaranteed $25.6 Mil he got from Atlanta would have been a bit too much for where his talent seems to be right now.

Of course, it could turn out that if he goes thru OTAs, T/C, and pre-season with Altanta, his game might just step up a notch or two.

I almost said, not having to play "The Peyton" twice a year will help his stats. But then I remembered that he's gonna have to face Drew Brees twice a year. Out of the frying pan - into the fire.
...which kinda explains why Atlanta was willing to pay his price.

Regarding the remainder of the piece, I think it was pretty much spot on. I agree with four of his top five needs and I'd change the order. I'd use first day picks to improve the secondary and early second day picks on the ground game (OG & RB). But that's just me.
1. Free Safety
2. CB
3. Guard
4. RB
5. D-line
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

pretty superficial stuff to me. hits some key turnaround points (Schaubs developement as a leader & connection with Andre, plus addition of Bernard Pollard & how he instantly improved the run defense) but if he thinks the Texans were foolish for NOT OVER-PAYING DUNTA ROBINSON or Moats is the future answer @ RB then I am sorry, no he is sorry for writing such dribble
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010   #11
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
pretty superficial stuff to me. hits some key turnaround points (Schaubs developement as a leader & connection with Andre, plus addition of Bernard Pollard & how he instantly improved the run defense) but if he thinks the Texans were foolish for NOT OVER-PAYING DUNTA ROBINSON or Moats is the future answer @ RB then I am sorry, no he is sorry for writing such dribble
Listing RB as the top need pretty much says what he thinks the odds are of Moats taking over. A lot of folks think the Texans were foolish for not paying Dunta. I'm not one of them but that strikes me as honest disagreement.
Old 03-20-2010   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Listing RB as the top need pretty much says what he thinks the odds are of Moats taking over. A lot of folks think the Texans were foolish for not paying Dunta. I'm not one of them but that strikes me as honest disagreement.
sure alot of people think Texans were foolish for not paying Dunta or that the running back situation is not as bad as it is (more important needs) you can always find some people who have a different viewpoint or selective memory just like an outsider. But he/they are wrong on both accounts, reflecting & pondering the obvious but not real solutions or honest assesments.
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010   #13
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is RB really the biggest need? A running game is the biggest need, but does that equate to running back being the biggest need?
Old 03-20-2010   #14
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

If you're a reporter who doesn't follow the Texans regularly, then all you know about Dunta Robinson is his charisma, his personality, his price, and that he got franchised last year. Without actually watching every game, you're going to assume he was a must-keep CB who's worth what Atlanta paid for him. After a season or two, the Texans' FO will be proven right, just like they were with Mario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Is RB really the biggest need? A running game is the biggest need, but does that equate to running back being the biggest need?
It has become the biggest need since we didn't take one in free agency. This draft will we deep with corners, too.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010   #15
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I wouldn't call me as being unhappy that Dunta's gone. I don't think we even made him an offer that he wanted to listen to IF we EVEN made an offer this past FA. Dunta was ready to move on as well as the Texans. I'm a little more irked that Leigh Bodden slipped away. Consider that I think Dunta's better than Bodden. I would have been ok with Dunta but if not then somebody semi-decent!
Old 03-20-2010   #16
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
What I liked more was some of the insight above. A lot of folks around here have acted like Mario had a horrible year because his sacks were down but I thought he became a much more well rounded player. Now if he can keep his intensity up he'll be a true all around beast. A lot of folks around here have also acted like DeMeco wasn't that good last year and I think that is absurd.

As for draft needs, I never get hung up quibbling over 1st need v. 2nd need. To me you identify the needs and then when the pick comes up take the player that has the highest overall talent level at one of the need positions unless that position is exceptionally strong and there is not a huge drop off in talent with a player at another need position where the talent is much more shallow.
Old 03-20-2010   #17
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That distinction seems to be totally lost on a great many fans.
That's why I'd like to see us bolster the O-lineas opposed to paying first round money on a RB who'll have to try and make a living behind the guys we have up front right now.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
That's why I'd like to see us bolster the O-lineas opposed to paying first round money on a RB who'll have to try and make a living behind the guys we have up front right now.
We got Smith. We will get Briesel back and maybe Pitts. And OL can be found past the 1st round. I'm not even saying they have to take a RB in the 1st but if they did it wouldn't mean they are ignoring the OL or the running game.
Old 03-20-2010   #19
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

It seems like Texans fans are the only one's who will acknowledge that Dunta Robinson was worth letting go and will admit that he is overrated. Do we play Atlanta this seasons because I would love to see Andre Johnson torch D-Robber!
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010   #20
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
We need both linemen and an RB. Other than Iupati, no C/G's are worth a 1st pick for us, and we need an RB either way. Matthews and Spiller are rated high enough to be worst a 1st pick.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read