Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-19-2010   #1
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Players I could live with in the first round

These are the people I would like to see called for us in the first round. I've listed them in order of my preference. (subject to change at a moments notice)

Gerald McCoy, Ndamukong Suh, Eric Berry - surely not going to be there at 20 but I would be stoked to have any of them.

Earl Thomas - He'd be the best safety we've ever had the moment he stepped on the field.... kind of sad really.

CJ Spiller - I love his explosive potential, a game changer.

Joe Haden - A good cover cornerback.... haven't seen one of those since Aaron Glenn....

Kyle Wilson - Another good cover corner with ball skills, yes please.

Taylor Mays - POTENTIAL plus... Cushing believes in him... I think his down year reflected lack of talent around him and him trying to fill the hole and getting sloppy because of it...

Ryan Matthews - Good vision, power, ball security. Lacks a bit of long speed but should be productive.

Brian Price - I really like a DT who can disrupt up the middle. If you can get your front four generating pressure it gives you more coverage options.

Sergio Kindle - What can I say, I love pass rushers. I don't know if he can play on the other side of Demeco and Cushing, but I would love to see him given a chance, if not he can join Williams and Barwin in a QB terrorising rotation.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Players I could live with in the first round

I would be happy with this one - http://draftnasty.com/videos/fresno-...mpress-nfl-te/
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010   #3
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

for me, it'd be these guys.

Earl Thomas
CJ Spiller
Joe Haden
Kyle Wilson

maybe, maybe taylor mays. and i dont really like drafting rbs in the first round, when we still need more work on defesne. im a longhorn fan btw, but do we really need sergio kindle?
Old 03-20-2010   #4
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSlaton20 View Post
for me, it'd be these guys.

Earl Thomas
CJ Spiller
Joe Haden
Kyle Wilson

maybe, maybe taylor mays. and i dont really like drafting rbs in the first round, when we still need more work on defesne. im a longhorn fan btw, but do we really need sergio kindle?
Need, no. I think that an extra pass rusher and versatile defensive piece can't hurt though.....

And he'd be perfect for when we go back to the 3-4!! (dreams are free)
Old 03-20-2010   #5
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
At the 53 second mark of the video....YES! That's a one cut and go that I like!!
Old 03-20-2010   #6
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I'm surprised the Texans are so keen when Matthews is not a proven pass catcher or pass blocker.

I thought that was a high priority for this offense?
Old 03-20-2010   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 269149 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I'm surprised the Texans are so keen when Matthews is not a proven pass catcher or pass blocker.

I thought that was a high priority for this offense?
Being able to do those things as well is part of why he is often called a complete back.

Quote:
Blocking: Can be a devastating blocker in pass protection, especially against a blitzing safety or linebacker. Keeps shoulders square, rolls hips and uncoils body into pass rushers. Shows sufficient skills to play immediately on third downs. Grade: 8.5

Hands/routes: Shows soft hands and ability to adjust to off-target passes. Is most effective on screens and checkdowns. Is more likely to break a tackle than evade anyone on wheel, swing or angle routes. Grade: 8.0
Link
Old 03-20-2010   #8
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Being able to do those things as well is part of why he is often called a complete back.

Link
Hmmm I read this...

Pass Catching: Only 19 career receptions. Was often taken off the field on passing downs. Does not have a lot of experience running routes. Rare to see the ball thrown his way.

Pass Blocking: Does not have as much experience as a pass blocker as you would like. However he is capable. Shows aggression and strength when stepping to defend the blitz. Willing to stick his hat in there. Does not hold a block well, basically a one pop blocker.

19 catches is a pretty small sample size
Old 03-20-2010   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 269149 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
19 catches is a pretty small sample size
Small sample sizes are one of the reasons scouts watch the bowl games and drills at the combine where new coaches can ask players to do things they may not have been called on to do a lot by their school's coach.
Old 03-20-2010   #10
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

I guess I'd like to see a player show it when it counts rather than when they are wearing shorts
Old 03-20-2010   #11
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
I guess I'd like to see a player show it when it counts rather than when they are wearing shorts
That's why I mentioned bowl games. Even your link said he was a powerful blocker. Sticking with a block is a coachable issue.
Old 03-20-2010   #12
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I Like Matthews a lot. Does anyone think Spiller is going to be a Reggie Bust instead of Walter Payton? The guy's kinda smallish 5-10 190something for an every down back in the NFL.
Old 03-20-2010   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I Like Matthews a lot. Does anyone think Spiller is going to be a Reggie Bust instead of Walter Payton? The guy's kinda smallish 5-10 190something for an every down back in the NFL.
So was Tony Dorsett. The running style is more important than the size. Reggie was a dancer which I think is one of the main reasons the Texans didn't take him. His instincts are wrong for this system.
Old 03-20-2010   #14
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I don't envision him as an every down back, he is a strike weapon in the run, pass and return game.

I think between he, Slaton and Foster we can carry the load.
Old 03-20-2010   #15
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
So was Tony Dorsett. The running style is more important than the size. Reggie was a dancer which I think is one of the main reasons the Texans didn't take him. His instincts are wrong for this system.
That's true enough, also, no one really uses a 1 back system anymore. They had him on Sirius NFL radio yesterday and he sounds like a great kid. I really don't know much about him at all, though, which is why I asked.
Old 03-20-2010   #16
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

He has a bit of power and doesn't run away from contact like Bush did.

Same moves and break away speed though.
Old 03-20-2010   #17
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Cushing had immediate impact, could not practice yet was everydown LB. Mathews in Kubiak/Dennison system is a three down back, only spell him to rest/keep fresh. enter Slaton, Foster.

From everything I've seen Ryan catches the ball naturally, very fluid. Texans want to really improve running game (helps play action & keeps Schaub upright) he's the quickest solution.

I'm very sensitive to comments comparing Spiller with Bush. They are not at all alike (what, just because they both have speed & play RB?) Reggie is a slasher, avoids contact, uses vision to find space & out run pursuit to angles. Spiller is more stout/compact, patient cut-back inside-out runner with large hands (helps receiving & ball control) considered by some a better prospect comng ot of College than Chris Johnson which is who he should be compared to. I could live with either in first rd.

BL
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010   #18
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

The problem with Spiller is, he wont be available. Matthews is really the only feasible option for first round running back.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010   #19
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
These are the people I would like to see called for us in the first round. I've listed them in order of my preference. (subject to change at a moments notice)

Gerald McCoy, Ndamukong Suh, Eric Berry - surely not going to be there at 20 but I would be stoked to have any of them.

Earl Thomas - He'd be the best safety we've ever had the moment he stepped on the field.... kind of sad really.

CJ Spiller - I love his explosive potential, a game changer.

Joe Haden - A good cover cornerback.... haven't seen one of those since Aaron Glenn....

Kyle Wilson - Another good cover corner with ball skills, yes please.

Taylor Mays - POTENTIAL plus... Cushing believes in him... I think his down year reflected lack of talent around him and him trying to fill the hole and getting sloppy because of it...

Ryan Matthews - Good vision, power, ball security. Lacks a bit of long speed but should be productive.

Brian Price - I really like a DT who can disrupt up the middle. If you can get your front four generating pressure it gives you more coverage options.

Sergio Kindle - What can I say, I love pass rushers. I don't know if he can play on the other side of Demeco and Cushing, but I would love to see him given a chance, if not he can join Williams and Barwin in a QB terrorising rotation.
I agree with you Kiwi. I could live with one of mentioned players.

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010   #20
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd be nervous/excited about Taylor Mays. So much potential...but just as much of a potential bust.

Last edited by TexCanada; 03-20-2010 at 11:19 PM.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read