Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-19-2010   #1
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Chris Meyers: The best C in the AFC South

Pro Football Focus recently did an "all AFC South Team" and found Houston's very own to be -the best.

Quote:
C Chris Myers If people could look past the highlight-reel plays he yielded to Kris Jenkins, they'd see Myers was the best part of the Texans' line and a very good run blocker
So, I watched the film, at least the film of Mr. Meyers playing football for Houston. And um... well, I don't know what to say about this.

But...

They also found Demeco Ryans to be not the best.

Just thought you would like to know.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010   #2
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Chris Meyers: The best C in the AFC South

Saw this list the other day.... some of the picks strike me as "look how crazy I can be" ... I mean the left guard Ryan Lilja was released by the Colts
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010   #3
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Some people make retarded lists just to be controversial.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010   #4
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Whoever made that list is smokin dogfood cause crack dont make ya act like that.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010   #5
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

I think there is a Chris Myers on our team, not so sure about Meyers. Meyers must play on the same team as this Kevin Walters guy everyone talks about.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010   #6
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Some people make retarded lists just to be controversial.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010   #7
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow.

This is all I have to say about Pro Football Fucus:

Guys at PFF, just turn in your NFL Fan badge right now. And your one bullet that you keep in your shirt pocket.
Old 03-19-2010   #8
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
I cannot STAND that guy. I mean, do people like him (and McClain) have photos of people in positions of power in the media?

He's on my short list of sports-media-yacking-heads-I-can't-stand.
Old 03-19-2010   #9
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

What? Another list? I've seen enough lists. Everybody has a list. I gotta list. Ghey folks have a lisp. So what?

Not that there's anything wrong with lists.......

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010   #10
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 64065 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

I received this on my news feed this morning, and with Myers being listed as the best C, almost made me lose my chocolate milk.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010   #11
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

this writer has obviously had a frontal lobe lobotomy recently

just the stupidest thing I have ever read.

and as for the Kris Jenkins highlight err lowlight, that isn't the only play where he was totally blown up and failed. myers has a highlight reel of getting thrown around like a rag doll...just a pathetic excuse for a center.

epic fail
Old 03-19-2010   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Durant over D-Ryans is ludicrous. I might be a little biased due to D-Ryans being one of my faves, but I don't even think it should be close. Even their stats dictate Ryans was by far the better player.

Leach had a down year due to the poor running game, but I could still make an argument for him over Hall.

Meh, I don't even want to get started on the Myers issue.

I've never been to that particular website before and it appears I never will.
Old 03-19-2010   #13
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
this writer has obviously had a frontal lobe lobotomy recently

just the stupidest thing I have ever read.

and as for the Kris Jenkins highlight err lowlight, that isn't the only play where he was totally blown up and failed. myers has a highlight reel of getting thrown around like a rag doll...just a pathetic excuse for a center.

epic fail
How about the one play when we're near the red zone, and it's a 4th down play IIRC, and Schaub gets the snap and drops back...and a blitzer comes free right down the pipe (past Myers, who tries to stick an arm out as he whizzes by) and Shcaub has to throw early. Interception. Game over.

When we watch that play back again, we see that Myers had slid over to his left, trying to set up a possible double-team on a guy...and a LB had come through on a delayed blitz. Myers never made the double-team tackle, and also fails to stop the blitzer.

In essence, he failed at two things. At the same time. And it caused a turnover.

There's lots of examples of this sort of thing. Other than our sketchy running back situation, the problem at Center is glaring. It's bad. I don't give a royal red crap about who is playing in place of Pitts, or if Duane Brown can handle his duties at LT. I worry about the Center. Every game. Because it's bad.
Old 03-19-2010   #14
MannyFresh
El Capitan

Rep Power: 398 MannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh great, and after Kubes reads this, I can already hear "he's our guy and we're glad we have 'the best' ", ....LOL someone post that gratuitous B**tch Slap footage against the Jets as a reminder! Please!
Old 03-19-2010   #15
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010   #16
Kal
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Kal is a quality contributor and well respectedKal is a quality contributor and well respectedKal is a quality contributor and well respectedKal is a quality contributor and well respectedKal is a quality contributor and well respectedKal is a quality contributor and well respectedKal is a quality contributor and well respectedKal is a quality contributor and well respectedKal is a quality contributor and well respectedKal is a quality contributor and well respectedKal is a quality contributor and well respected

As the writer of the article (with consultation of some of the other guys) I feel able to address some of the criticisms.

On the weight of his play Myers got the nod - did he have bad plays? Yes he did, but over the course of the season he did more good things than bad compared to the other centers in the AFC South.

Meester had a terrible year, Mawae may be a great leader but he's past it, and while Saturday had a good year he was more patchy than Myers.

As for Ryans - I think he had a good year and would have made some other All Divisional Teams, but Durant was just a better player in my mind (I saw every game of both teams bar 1 or 2 in detail) who made consistently more plays. I realise I'll be in the minority for saying that on this board, but I'm completely objective, have no agenda (I'm a Falcons fan) and have no need to create a controversial list (it doesn't do anything).

Still, appreciate the criticism and thoughts - footballs a subjective game so I wouldn't expect everyone to think the same.
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010   #17
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal View Post
As the writer of the article (with consultation of some of the other guys) I feel able to address some of the criticisms.

On the weight of his play Myers got the nod - did he have bad plays? Yes he did, but over the course of the season he did more good things than bad compared to the other centers in the AFC South.

Meester had a terrible year, Mawae may be a great leader but he's past it, and while Saturday had a good year he was more patchy than Myers.

As for Ryans - I think he had a good year and would have made some other All Divisional Teams, but Durant was just a better player in my mind (I saw every game of both teams bar 1 or 2 in detail) who made consistently more plays. I realise I'll be in the minority for saying that on this board, but I'm completely objective, have no agenda (I'm a Falcons fan) and have no need to create a controversial list (it doesn't do anything).

Still, appreciate the criticism and thoughts - footballs a subjective game so I wouldn't expect everyone to think the same.
A.) Myers is a very good blocker at the second level. When he can get out there, he can be a very good contributor to the run game. Unfortunately, he's a very bad blocker at the first level, especially in pass protection.

B.) I was a Durant fan when he came out of school. He was a small school guy that not too many people had keyed on, and I thought he'd do well in the NFL. He has. He's not better than Demeco Ryans. You can insist upon the point if you want, and we'll accord your opinion the worth it deserves at that point.
Old 03-19-2010   #18
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:

Well, I think where you failed (in my humble opinion) is the idea that taking the four centers of the four AFC South teams is a good way to line them up and say "This guy is the best of all four."

Maybe all four of them suck? How about them apples.

Saying Chris Myers was the best of the lot doesn't make me think he's a good center. There are many other centers in the league to grade him against. Judging him based upon the other three centers in the AFC South is not exactly a good sampling size, is it?

Are you a Brit? I see that you spelled "realize" with an "s" ("realise"). If so, are you in the U.K. or here in America?

You might want to cruise by the team message boards before compiling lists. I doubt I could write a proper evaluation on the Falcons, with the exception of the craptastic cornerback you guys just signed.
Old 03-19-2010   #19
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52757 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

Please Colts, trade Saturday for Myers!
Old 03-19-2010   #20
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

No offense, but you are wrong on both players. As eriadoc said, Myers might be decent in space, but he's terrible at the point of attack and hardly ever has his man on the positive side of the LOS. He's pushed back on the negative side more times than not.

Durant made more plays than Ryans? Because he had a pick? That's crazy talk. Statistically, Ryans beat Durant in every catagory except the pick. Not only did Ryans have more tackles, but he had more than double the amount of TFL's. It's not even close dude, and frankly, doesn't speak much of your credibility.

How can you watch all the games of both teams when they both played all but 4-5 games at noon? Plus the fact that a majority of the Jags games were blacked out.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read