Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-18-2010   #1
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 116197 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What separates the Texans from the ELITE teams?

I've thought about this topic since the inception of the franchise. The idea was simple - What can we look for to determine when the Texans are truly among the best in football.

For me, it breaks down pretty simply and is probably due to the influence of growing up in the Montana / Elway era.

- Do I have a calm asurance in my mind when:

A) The Texans are trailing (less than 8) with only a few minutes remaining in the game and the Offense just got the ball.

B) The Texans are leading (less than 8) with less than 3 minutes remaining and the Defense just took the field.

Sadly, neither one rings true yet in my mind. I don't have the requisite confidence in the Texans offense to "march it down the field", nor the faith in our defense to make the critical stop.

What checkpoints in the Texans development are YOU looking for?
Old 03-18-2010   #2
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Rep Power: 1893 wagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What separates the Texans from the ELITE teams?

coaching.
wagonhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010   #3
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Players being better prepared for the game, better play calling, better clock management, a killer instinct in the players to put a game away. We get all of this from better coaching. We've got the talent, we need better coaching.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010   #4
redwhiteANDblue
Color of Texans

Rep Power: 4784 redwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonhed View Post
coaching.
You can't seriously blame EVERYTHING on the coaching. I think the entire coaching staff did a great job last year and the only time I remember actually being angry at them was the HB pass. We were prepared in all the games. We were never blownout (besides the jets game) and fought till the last second. That is what a coach is supposed to do. Prepare. Everything else is up to the players (Chris and Kris Brown..)
redwhiteANDblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010   #5
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteANDblue View Post
You can't seriously blame EVERYTHING on the coaching. I think the entire coaching staff did a great job last year and the only time I remember actually being angry at them was the HB pass. We were prepared in all the games. We were never blownout (besides the jets game) and fought till the last second. That is what a coach is supposed to do. Prepare. Everything else is up to the players (Chris and Kris Brown..)
I would go a step further though and say that it is the coaches job to put the most prepared players on the field. Gary failed pretty miserably at that.
Old 03-18-2010   #6
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Consistency. Also, we're good enough now that we beat the teams we're supposed to beat (bad teams). We've come close to beating the teams we're not supposed to (elite teams). The next step is consitently beating the bad teams and beating the elite teams, say half the time. Additionally, maybe of utmost importance, are winning our division games. We've got to consistently beat Tennessee, Jacksonville and Indianapolis. 4 wins in the division at a minimum, each year.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010   #7
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Making field goals.
Old 03-18-2010   #8
midgetonadonkey
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 midgetonadonkey was voted MVPmidgetonadonkey was voted MVPmidgetonadonkey was voted MVPmidgetonadonkey was voted MVPmidgetonadonkey was voted MVP

Wins
midgetonadonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010   #9
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Playoffs, Playoff wins, Superbowls...
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010   #10
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Rep Power: 1893 wagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You can't seriously blame EVERYTHING on the coaching.
Did I do that?

Quote:
I think the entire coaching staff did a great job last year
Old 03-18-2010   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
I've thought about this topic since the inception of the franchise. The idea was simple - What can we look for to determine when the Texans are truly among the best in football.

For me, it breaks down pretty simply and is probably due to the influence of growing up in the Montana / Elway era.

- Do I have a calm asurance in my mind when:

A) The Texans are trailing (less than 8) with only a few minutes remaining in the game and the Offense just got the ball.

B) The Texans are leading (less than 8) with less than 3 minutes remaining and the Defense just took the field.

Sadly, neither one rings true yet in my mind. I don't have the requisite confidence in the Texans offense to "march it down the field", nor the faith in our defense to make the critical stop.

What checkpoints in the Texans development are YOU looking for?
For me it would be to stop about the draft. Eight years later this process has become all consuming either that or I just walk away a dissatisfied fan
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010   #12
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I've actually always felt good about the offense having the ball trailing by less than 8 and needing to score. It's that punk FG kicker that screws it up.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010   #13
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Roughly 5 more months of offseason.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010   #14
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I've actually always felt good about the offense having the ball trailing by less than 8 and needing to score. It's that punk FG kicker that screws it up.
Agreed. I'm actually more comfortable being down by 6 then I am being down by 2. Go figure.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010   #15
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexCanada View Post
Agreed. I'm actually more comfortable being down by 6 then I am being down by 2. Go figure.
Being down by 6 still requires an extra point.
Old 03-18-2010   #16
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 224197 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Out of 32 teams in the NFL, how many are truly "elite" as opposed to just being pretty good. The Texans are maybe one or two players from being pretty good.

Besides which, just 'cause you are elite this year doesn't mean squat next year. And the supposed Manning lead "elite" Colts have the same amount of Super Bowl wins as does the Aints.

Baahh. The Texans have as much chance to be in the Super Bowl this year as does anyone else.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010   #17
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 19458 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected

attitude
MightyTExan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 234554 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Being elite is just about winning consistently over a period of years.

What teams do you consider elite?

For me, it's just the Colts and Patriots. There's no team that I consider elite in the NFC. The closest would be the Eagles but they've dropped back to the pack the past couple of years.

There are no other teams that have been consistently good over a 5+ year span. The Steelers and Saints have been up and down. The Chargers are on the verge but had that 8-8 season not too long ago and have benefitted from a relatively weak division.

So... how do you win consistently over a period of years? Stability at QB and usually HC. And just finding a way to win.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010   #19
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

There's no one thing that seperates the Texans from the top 4-5 teams in the league. It's a little of a few things.

I think it's mostly experience and the confidence that comes with it. They're getting there. Last season they seemed a little less wacked out in pressure situations than they did the year before. They were by no means graceful or controlled and that's on both players AND coaches. Players made gut-wrenching mistakes and at other times coaches made idiotic "lets get cute" calls. Hopefully this year they benefit from another season of experience and that translates into smarter decisions and better performances.

The real "*****" about being an expansion team is that so much of your team has to learn everything and they're mostly doing it at the same time. The Texans have taken that to a new level with their "rebuilding before anything was actually built approach" but damn it's tough when almost nobody on your team has ever done their job at this level before. From the GM down to the last undrafted free agent we're filled with rookies. To make matters worse we have first time head coaches (and position coaches) flipping a roster over with a penchant for projects and longshots in the draft. Ever notice how the Texans always have that one guy in almost every draft who "didn't even start playing __________ until his senior year of high school" or "just switched to offense/defense last year so he still has room for improvement" or even "He was the only 10 year old to start in a Division I program in history".

You just wish sometimes that they'd be a little less experimental.

Consistency comes from experience and confidence. If (and I hate if's but here it goes) Slaton had churned out another 1200 yard season we'd have gone to the playoffs and at least pushed for the division title.

If Schaub had a season in 2008 like he did last year (16 starts and that kind of production) we might have done it a year sooner.

I really believe that we are missing an effective running game (assuming the passing game and defense stay on course and don't nosedive into the turf) and the rest is ready to go. If the Texans don't get smarter and play better in 2010 then I am convinced that this bunch never will get past the roughly .500 mark. To me the last excuse is all the guys not having that experience. Well, here it is in year 5 of the rebuilding and if it isn't here now it ain't coming.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010   #20
redwhiteANDblue
Color of Texans

Rep Power: 4784 redwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonhed View Post
Did I do that?
Well all you said was "coaching" so i thought you were blaming the coaches for holding us back. Next time atleast try to elaborate. And the staff did a great job. Look at other teams and their coaches. Some teams come on sundays as if they're getting ready for bed. That is when you blame the coaches. Kubiak had us in all the games.
redwhiteANDblue is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read